Sam Vecenie Athletic Mock Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sam Vecenie Athletic Mock Draft

Reaction Score
I think Hawk will be a lottery pick. He has size, determination and has improved on both his ability to finish near the rim as well as his defensive positioning and intensity. Most importantly, he is on a trajectory to be an elite shooter, even by NBA standards.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'd say "much worse finisher," but that's probably arguing semantics. Bouk was ridiculously talented finishing at the rim.
I feel like Jordan’s finishing is a little underrated and raw but his pull up game is so elite it keeps people hornets and he doesn’t need to be as creative.

Reaction Score
The neweset Sam Vecenie mock draft on the Athletic has Hawkins going 18; he's working his way up towards the end of the lottery at this point. I know Sam watches a lot of UConn games and tends to be very pro-UConn players, but still very encouraging to see a mock draft with Hawk that high.
Aside from Hawk, no mention in the 2 round mock of Sanogo or Jackson, which isn't overly surprising at this point. Still wouldn't be shocked to see Sanogo end of 2nd round though
Jackson is coming back. He has 0 chance of getting drafted at this point. He needs to do nothing over the summer except attack the rim. He needs to become a slasher type player on offense. He has to learn to beat his defender off the dribble. The ability is there.

Reaction Score
Sanogo should be looking at a guy like Grant Williams. Undersized forward who was mostly a post, power player in college. Shot around 32% from beyond the arc - but made most of his impact at the foul line and in. Think he was back-to-back SEC player of the year … I think if Sanogo stays he can continue to work on his outside shot, passing and decision making to increase his stock.
Good comp

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Somehow I typed at bay and my phone got “hornets” out of it
my phone got “hornets” out of it
ur still carrying around one of these?
Motorola-Dynatac-8000X.webp

i can't think of any other large enough to have room for a hornets nest.
u really are cheap. one of those 'moths flying out of the wallet' types?
you're like some kind of walking nat geo insect documentary.

Reaction Score
Agree on Hawkins. You can see the work he did with Rip, he comes off screens like a comet and immediately elevates. You can't stop him from getting that off, and if you try (as we've seen) you'll foul him. He still has to get stronger so he can go to the rim with more authority and guard guys like Jaylen Brown, but they can project that.

Disagree on Sanogo. Honestly, he's not slow, and he can dribble much better than he's been allowed to show. His strength will allow him to guard bigger guys, especially in the NBA where it's just different. I think he can become a Grant Williams type, with a bit more size and a better game in the paint, and not as good on the perimeter.

Jackson. I don't know how it happens unless he figures some things out. UConn struggles to work him in due to his offensive deficiencies, that would be magnified in the NBA. I didn't anticipate that anybody who is that athletic would be unable to score the ball.
Grant Williams was a terrific college player, and is a terrific passer and mobile defender at the 4.

Sanogo doesn’t have Williams’ ability to pass and see the game, or shooting. Sanogo is a smaller 5, while Williams is a small 4.

Reaction Score
I'd say "much worse finisher," but that's probably arguing semantics. Bouk was ridiculously talented finishing at the rim.
Agreed but Bouk wasn’t just a better finisher but was miles better at creating his own shot too.

Hawkins is obviously a much better shooter but he really can’t just break his man down off the dribble or have everyone clear out for him and let him go to work. Sort of the opposite of Bouk there. Curious to see how that’s valued compared so his shooting ability

Reaction Score
I see Hawkins as a guy who will stick in the NBA for a while. His shooting alone is more than NBA ready.

However, don't see much from anyone else on the team having a real NBA future. I am not trying to hate or be negative, just realistic.

Sanogo is not athletic enough to play anything but the 5, and he is undersized there. His closest comp is Isaiah Stewart for the Pistons, and even he is more athletic and a better shooter. An undersized, back to the basket big who can't protect the rim is not the makings of an NBA player. I saw someone say Grant Williams and that is beyond comical of a comparison.

For AJax, his lack of offense is way too much to overcome. In college they are daring him to shoot, the NBA will gladly do the same. His closest comparisons are guys like Justise Winslow or Ben Simmons, guys who can handle the ball, good defensive skills, but cannot shoot. As bad as Simmons has been, he was miles ahead of a playmaker compared to AJax, and is also 6'10 250lb who can guard basically anyone. Winslow may be a closer comparison, but even then Winslow has a much better jumper.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Grant Williams was a terrific college player, and is a terrific passer and mobile defender at the 4.

Sanogo doesn’t have Williams’ ability to pass and see the game, or shooting. Sanogo is a smaller 5, while Williams is a small 4.
I think we will find he is much better at that than he's been allowed to show as a back to the basket 5, and that he's actually a right sized 4, who can cover some 5s. It's just my prediction. Since Hurley switched him to a mostly face up game 4-5 games ago he has looked like a different player.

Saw another mock draft at the Athletic today that had Hawkins going at 18. So that's excellent news.
"It’s hard to overemphasize the heater Hawkins has been on over the last month. He’s averaging 21 points per game while shooting 49 percent from the field, 41 percent from 3 and 92 percent from the line despite every team that plays Connecticut working as hard as possible to stop him from getting any clean looks from 3 off movement. He’s still generating seven of them per game but has also made a few strides attacking closeouts too, and he’s becoming more versatile in how he attacks defenses. Hawkins is also considered a high-level competitor, and he’s defended at a solid level this season on the ball. Hawkins still has a ways to go as a decision-maker and passer when he gets crowded, but his ability to shoot and create 3s off high-difficulty actions will endear him to NBA teams immediately."

Reaction Score
Hawk: 1st round
Sanogo: 2nd round, makes an NBA roster
Andre: Europe
Karaban: NBA after Junior season

Reaction Score
I think we will find he is much better at that than he's been allowed to show as a back to the basket 5, and that he's actually a right sized 4, who can cover some 5s. It's just my prediction. Since Hurley switched him to a mostly face up game 4-5 games ago he has looked like a different player.

Saw another mock draft at the Athletic today that had Hawkins going at 18. So that's excellent news.
"It’s hard to overemphasize the heater Hawkins has been on over the last month. He’s averaging 21 points per game while shooting 49 percent from the field, 41 percent from 3 and 92 percent from the line despite every team that plays Connecticut working as hard as possible to stop him from getting any clean looks from 3 off movement. He’s still generating seven of them per game but has also made a few strides attacking closeouts too, and he’s becoming more versatile in how he attacks defenses. Hawkins is also considered a high-level competitor, and he’s defended at a solid level this season on the ball. Hawkins still has a ways to go as a decision-maker and passer when he gets crowded, but his ability to shoot and create 3s off high-difficulty actions will endear him to NBA teams immediately."

The mock draft you're referring to is the one this entire thread is based on, lol.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Agree with most that Hawkins needs to go after this year and get his bag. The NBA is going to love his stroke. He’ll have to keep working on his handle and finishing but that’s what the NBA is good for. Just hope he lands on a team with the right veterans unlike Bouknight.

As far as Sanogo and Grant, Sanogo is a 4/5 tweener, Grant is a 3/4 tweener. Don’t think their games are very comparable. It’s hard to see Sanogo making the NBA because of his size and he doesn’t make up for it by being an elite defender. You see young centers all the time being on rosters and even starting for their athleticism and size without having a single post move or offensive game. Sanogo is basically the opposite of that.

Look at Claxton, Jarrett Allen, shoot Hornets are starting Mark Williams who literally can’t get a basket outside of 5’. The NBA just has no use for Sanogo’s types. They’re going to love DC as a prospect though, especially if he can show off a 3 point shot next year. Think he can be a top 5 pick.

Jackson is coming back at this point and not working to get drafted high, but just on developing the skills he’ll need to stick in the NBA. Hard to see a senior get drafted in the 1st round.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The mock draft you're referring to is the one this entire thread is based on, lol.
I've seen a bunch of them. Hawk is mostly in those mid-high teens and that feels about right.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think Hawkins will have a hard time scoring at the next level. Not saying he should come back, if you’re projected first round you need to go. But he has trouble creating for himself.

Reaction Score
I think Hawkins will have a hard time scoring at the next level. Not saying he should come back, if you’re projected first round you need to go. But he has trouble creating for himself.
On the contrary, he's not going to be asked to create for himself. Bouknight's main attribute was scoring via self creation, but he wasn't good enough to do it at a level to earn minutes in the NBA, so then he had to take an off ball roll, which was not in his skill set (and he didn't improve his shot enough).

However, Hawkins is a perfect offball player. He doesn't have the upside of an on-ball player, which is why he's not going to go in the top 10 and probably not even the lottery. But he'll probably end up sticking better than Bouknight.

Reaction Score
Look at Claxton, Jarrett Allen, shoot Hornets are starting Mark Williams who literally can’t get a basket outside of 5’. The NBA just has no use for Sanogo’s types. They’re going to love DC as a prospect though, especially if he can show off a 3 point shot next year. Think he can be a top 5 pick.
Donovan top 5 pick lol. Even if he becomes a knockdown 3 point shooter, nearly impossible for a Sophomore to be a top 5 pick, and that is including extreme development. He only has a chance to be a real lottery piece if he plays big minutes, UConn goes deep in tourney and he gets more eyes on him, or he really develops. Just because you are tall doesn't guarantee you NBA minutes. His touch is fairly bad for someone that large. I still think he has first round potential, but not top 5.
This is what the NBA was 20 years ago, not today. At the absolute best, he has Trendon Watford's mobility and athleticism, as he is a bench big for a mediocre Portland team. Even then, Watford is younger and has shown more offensive skills then post hooks. Plus Sanogo is a pretty poor defender outside a 1on1 in the post where his strength shines. He will be great overseas or maybe G League, but he has too limited of a game, with limited athleticism and height to get NBA minutes.

Reaction Score
On the contrary, he's not going to be asked to create for himself. Bouknight's main attribute was scoring via self creation, but he wasn't good enough to do it at a level to earn minutes in the NBA, so then he had to take an off ball roll, which was not in his skill set (and he didn't improve his shot enough).

However, Hawkins is a perfect offball player. He doesn't have the upside of an on-ball player, which is why he's not going to go in the top 10 and probably not even the lottery. But he'll probably end up sticking better than Bouknight.

He'll have a 10+ year career as a bench shooter and pocket 80 million.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree with most that Hawkins needs to go after this year and get his bag. The NBA is going to love his stroke. He’ll have to keep working on his handle and finishing but that’s what the NBA is good for. Just hope he lands on a team with the right veterans unlike Bouknight.

As far as Sanogo and Grant, Sanogo is a 4/5 tweener, Grant is a 3/4 tweener. Don’t think their games are very comparable. It’s hard to see Sanogo making the NBA because of his size and he doesn’t make up for it by being an elite defender. You see young centers all the time being on rosters and even starting for their athleticism and size without having a single post move or offensive game. Sanogo is basically the opposite of that.

Jackson is coming back at this point and not working to get drafted high, but just on developing the skills he’ll need to stick in the NBA. Hard to see a senior get drafted in the 1st round.
Zach Edey is projected to go late 2nd round.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom