Sally Jenkins hit piece on Edsall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sally Jenkins hit piece on Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Basically the Wapo and to a lesser degree Baltimore press corp hated Edsall because he wasn't like Fridgen. This is just a chance to take another shot by one of the folks he antagonized.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Bad news is better than no news.

I'm okay with UConn wearing a black hat for a bit and doing a heel turn.

More media in three days than the team got all last season on the national wire.

Amen. To be a serious player, you're going to ruffle some feathers.

We're in a world where OU buys a home for Marcus Dupree's mother and Texas A&M buys a Pontiac Trans Am for Eric Dickerson. If anyone thinks those days are gone, ask Cam Newton's father.

Reaction Score
When I google "pulls scholarship" and get through all the recent stories about UConn and Edsall I find many examples of the same exact thing happening at UCLA, Miss St., Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Texas St., UTEP, Tennessee, Louisville, and believe it or not, Maryland under Durkin who was Edsall's replacement. Look up the story of Alex Hall who was a Maryland commit until Durkin pulled his scholarship. Hall ended up at Fordham. I wonder if Sally wrote a story about Alex Hall's scholly being yanked.

Reaction Score
Edsall is a scumbag, we all knew that before we hired him again, this should not be surprising to anyone. I do think he should get his act together if we wants recruits to have any trust in him honoring his word.

Reaction Score
Edsall is a scumbag, we all knew that before we hired him again, this should not be surprising to anyone. I do think he should get his act together if we wants recruits to have any trust in him honoring his word.
I am sure recruits will overlook his past success at getting players into the NFL...

Reaction Score
I am sure recruits will overlook his past success at getting players into the NFL...
Well I hope they overlook his lack of success of getting players to the NFL while he was at Maryland

Reaction Score
When I google "pulls scholarship" and get through all the recent stories about UConn and Edsall I find many examples of the same exact thing happening at UCLA, Miss St., Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Texas St., UTEP, Tennessee, Louisville, and believe it or not, Maryland under Durkin who was Edsall's replacement. Look up the story of Alex Hall who was a Maryland commit until Durkin pulled his scholarship. Hall ended up at Fordham. I wonder if Sally wrote a story about Alex Hall's scholly being yanked.

But what was his tone in pulling it? It's the tone that matters.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well I hope they overlook his lack of success of getting players to the NFL while he was at Maryland

Because his Maryland tenure is his entire body of work...

Reaction Score
Because his Maryland tenure is his entire body of work...
No I never said that, but the kids he is recruiting now were 10 or younger when he was at UConn. So as I said I hope they overlook his recent tenure at Maryland.

Reaction Score
oh look, another idiotic take on the matter. thanks for sharing.
So you think Edsall is a great guy? You think the way he left UConn was classy? I mean I see your sweet "Apologista" signature so I guess I should not expect a rational take

Reaction Score
So you think Edsall is a great guy? You think the way he left UConn was classy? I mean I see your sweet "Apologista" signature so I guess I should not expect a rational take
I think he's a good guy who made a mistake. he admitted his mistake, he apologized for his mistake, and at the end of the day, nobody's life was ruined (or even negatively impacted) because he chose to get on a different plane, rather than give the news face to face. He left. How he left should have been handled better. He admitted that. You want to hold a grudge over something that has nothing to do with you, that's your perogative.

There's a difference between an error in judgement, and being a scumbag. Everyone makes errors in judgments from time to time, for example, against my better judgement I engaged in a discussion with someone whose take on the matter reminds me of a petulant child. That was my mistake.

Reaction Score
there are about 10 players from Maryland he coached that made the NFL (both drafted and free agents)

List of Maryland Terrapins in professional football - Wikipedia
There is 7, you need to count better, the players drafted in 2011 never played a down for him.

That is 7 over a 5 year stretch, that is not good. The 5 years before him Maryland had 13 drafted, the 5 years before that Maryland had 15. Your link proves my point thanks

Reaction Score

Maybe his square peg doesn't fit in your round hole but that doesn't make him a scumbag. So, I guess we all don't "know that". The guy made choices in ways each of us may or may not make them but that just makes him human. I wasn't crazy about the hire, but I'm gonna back him because he's leading my team. Be a fanatic and get on the bus people!

Reaction Score
We're all big boys and girls, we accepted the apology and moved on. Feel free to remain mired in the past.
If that was his only questionable act that would be one thing. I could care less if he is a scumbag or not (which he is). Petrino is scumbag. Calapari is a sucmbag. They win, who cares, if Edsall wins no one will care.

The 180 this board has taken on him is amazing. I was and still am one of the bigger Edsall supporters but I am not a blind apologists either.

Reaction Score
There is 7, you need to count better, the players drafted in 2011 never played a down for him.

That is 7 over a 5 year stretch, that is not good. The 5 years before him Maryland had 13 drafted, the 5 years before that Maryland had 15. Your link proves my point thanks

You need to read better. There were 3 players that were UDFAs. That's 10 players, like I said.

And he only coached 3+ years at Maryland, not 5. So you also need to count better.

So now that you've established your own failings in reading and arithmetic, please, tell me more about your rational take.

Or, just stop embarrassing yourself.

Reaction Score
If that was his only questionable act that would be one thing. I could care less if he is a scumbag or not (which he is). Petrino is scumbag. Calapari is a sucmbag. They win, who cares, if Edsall wins no one will care.

The 180 this board has taken on him is amazing. I was and still am one of the bigger Edsall supporters but I am not a blind apologists either.
Every time I think I've read the dumbest post ever, the Boneyard ups the ante. I tip my hat to you and your beautiful hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
You need to read better. There were 3 players that were UDFAs. That's 10 players, like I said.

And he only coached 3+ years at Maryland, not 5. So you also need to count better.

So now that you've established your own failings in reading and arithmetic, please, tell me more about your rational take.

Or, just stop embarrassing yourself.
He coached 4+ years, not 3, which is part of 5 seasons. But nice try.

I would love to hear how you want to lower his years there but count all the players who were there from 2011-15.

Are you working with a full deck over there???

Reaction Score
He coached 4+ years, not 3, which is part of 5 seasons. But nice try.

I would love to hear how you want to lower his years there but count all the players who were there from 2011-15.

Are you working with a full deck over there???
Quoting this before you get the chance to edit/delete it.

Randy Edsall - Wikipedia

2011–2012[edit]

Randy Edsall along the sideline during the Terps' 2013 game vs. the Clemson Tigers.
Edsall was hired in 2011 after he led the University of Connecticut to its first appearance in a BCS bowl game. In Edsall's inaugural season, the Terrapins finished with a record of 2–10. In 2012, the Terrapins finished with a 4–8 record. On November 19, 2012, the school announced it was joining the Big Ten Conference and leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference, a conference Maryland cofounded in 1953 with Clemson. The Big Ten is a revenue-sharing conference that, thanks to the success of the Big Ten Network, in recent years, has generated more revenue than any other conference, distributing that money among its members.

2013[edit]
Edsall has seen steady improvement in his three years as Maryland's coach: going from 2–10 in his first year, to 4–8 in his second. In 2013, his third season as head coach, after defeating West Virginia in one of the program's biggest wins over West Virginia, Edsall led his 4–0 team into the Associated Press top 25 poll, entering at #25. They would fall out of the rankings the following week after a road loss to eventual National Champion, then ranked #8 Florida State. The highlight of the season came in Lane Stadium at Virginia Tech. The Terrapins had multiple starters out due to injury heading into the game. Maryland stunned Virginia Tech and all but ending their ACC Championship hopes by beating them in overtime, 27–24. The victory also made the Terrapins bowl eligible. It was the first time since 1949 that the Terrapins won in Lane Stadium and the first time since 1990 that Maryland had beaten Virginia Tech. The Terrapins finished the regular season 7–5, earning bowl eligibility for the first time under Edsall, a steady improvement from the previous 4–8 season. In the Terrapins final game of the regular season, the team ended on a high note: winning their last conference game as a member of the ACC, 41–21 on the road against NC State. After a successful season in what would be their last in the ACC, the Terrapins were invited to the Military Bowl in Annapolis, Maryland.[citation needed]

2014[edit]
In 2014, Edsall guided the Terrapins to a third-place finish in the Big Ten East. Finishing behind Michigan State and the eventual National Champions, the Ohio State Buckeyes. After a 3–1 start, the Terrapins won their inaugural Big Ten game with a victory at Indiana 37–15. They then went on to win their first game at home in the Big Ten, defeating the Iowa Hawkeyes 38–31. The Terrapins biggest win of the season and one of the biggest wins in program history came on November 1, 2014. The Terrapins traveled to State College, Pennsylvania to play the Penn State Nittany Lions. Previously, Penn State had dominated the series and the rivalry with a record of 35–1–1 against Maryland and the Terrapins had never won in Beaver Stadium. Maryland's lone win came at Byrd Stadium in 1961. Brad Craddock, the eventual Lou Groza Award winner, kicked a 43-yard field goal with 51 seconds left to give the Terrapins their first win at Beaver Stadium and their first win over the Nittany Lions since 1961. Trying to build this old regional rivalry back up, in a post-game interview Randy Edsall said "let the rivalry begin".[2] A few weeks later saw another milestone for the Maryland Football program. Maryland had never beaten Michigan in football in 3 prior meetings with the Wolverines. On November 22, 2014, the Terrapins ended that streak by beating Michigan in the Big House 23–16, which assured the Terrapins of back-to-back winning seasons for just the third time in the past 30 years. The Terrapins finished their inaugural Big Ten season 7–5 (4–4) with a third-place finish in the East division. They posted the conference's best road record at 5–1. The Terrapins also made it to back-to-back bowl games as they were invited to the Foster Farms Bowl in Santa Clara, California. It was also announced that the program had its highest APR scores in program history since the APR's inception (973 multi year, 991 single year). This came after losing scholarships upon his arrival because of bad APR scores from the seasons before he arrived in College Park.

2015[edit]
On June 30, 2015, it was announced that the University of Maryland and Randy Edsall had agreed upon a 3-year extension through 2019 worth 7.5 million dollars. On October 11, 2015, Edsall was relieved of his duties with offensive coordinator Mike Locksley named as the interim head coach for the rest of the 2015 season.[3]

That's 3+. he was fired during his 4th season.

I counted the players from 2012 on. If someone was drafted in 2015, they played for him.

I would love to hear how you manage to make it through a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom