Safety | The Boneyard

Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't really get to see a replay, but I heard there was a little controversy concerning the intentional grounding/safety call tonight. Wondering your thoughts. a) Was it a good call? b) Was there anything controversial about it/Should a ref make such a bold call in the Super Bowl? Thanks.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
1) He was clearly inside the tackles so that wasn't in any way controversial.
2) He was under pressure, so again, no controversy there.
3) He purposely threw the ball about 15 yards past the farthest receiver. Usually you are safe when you take this route when throwing the ball away, so I guess that is where the controversy comes from.

It was pretty blatantly a throw away and he was under pressure and in the pocket and it was nowhere near a receiver so by the book I would say it was the right call.

Reaction Score
It was pretty blatantly a throw away and he was under pressure and in the pocket and it was nowhere near a receiver so by the book I would say it was the right call.

Oh alright, I gotcha. Thanks. What about a possible late hit by Tuck? It didn't look like a late hit to me...but even if they did call it, it wouldn't merit an offset of the two penalties right? The intentional grounding would trump it? Just hypotheticals...

Reaction Score
From a Pats fan, it was the right call. Just strange because usually intentional grounding happens out of bounds. A lot of people probably didn't know it's the same down the middle of the field.

Not sure what Tom was doing there <_<

Reaction Score
Oh alright, I gotcha. Thanks. What about a possible late hit by Tuck? It didn't look like a late hit to me...but even if they did call it, it wouldn't merit an offset of the two penalties right? The intentional grounding would trump it? Just hypotheticals...

No late hit, threw it from within the hash marks and over 20 yards to daylight....amazing thing noone pointed out was Brady didn't even argue.....no-brainer

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
That is only a late hit if it involves aaron rodgers.

Have to remember not to post on the yard after cocktails. need to go review any posts from last night. :)

Reaction Score
Another Pats fan here. No argument. In fact I wondered what took so long for the flag to come out. Heck, my wife, who is only a cursory football viewer, picked right up on it.

Reaction Score
Another Pats fan here. No argument. In fact I wondered what took so long for the flag to come out. Heck, my wife, who is only a cursory football viewer, picked right up on it.

The ref consulted with the back judge to make sure that it wasn't a miscommunication between Brady and a receiver, then threw the flag. The officials did everything right on that play.

Reaction Score
How does the NFL promote two weeks of Super Bowl hype and then let the game begin with such a horrible call? The referees needed to keep the flag in their pockets, not put points up on the scoreboard for the Giants. The game is about the players, not the officials. Officiating 101, know when to swallow the whistle.

As for "the rule", it's just plain BAD. Call the penalty, if you must (and that one was BS), but don't put points on the board. That's for the players to do.

That call absolutely ruined that game from start to finish. Dictated everything - when the Giants where ahead, when NE was ahead, and at the end when a FG could have tied things up. Those flipping 2 points were always there, all game long.

Interestingly, in SB 42, the referees did "swallow" their whistles when Eli Manning - clearly in the grasp of a Patriots' Defensive Lineman (Richard Seymour) - was "allowed" to play on and go on to complete a pass. Nevermind too that the Giant OLineman held Seymour around the neck from behind.

Actually, I can understand that play (coming in desperation time) better than I could the call for a safety on the Patriots first play from the LOS. Should have been an easy scenario (2nd & 10) not 2-0 with NE having to kickoff.

Reaction Score
How does the NFL promote two weeks of Super Bowl hype and then let the game begin with such a horrible call? The referees needed to keep the flag in their pockets, not put points up on the scoreboard for the Giants. The game is about the players, not the officials. Officiating 101, know when to swallow the whistle.

As for "the rule", it's just plain BAD. Call the penalty, if you must (and that one was BS), but don't put points on the board. That's for the players to do.

That call absolutely ruined that game from start to finish. Dictated everything - when the Giants where ahead, when NE was ahead, and at the end when a FG could have tied things up. Those flipping 2 points were always there, all game long.

Interestingly, in SB 42, the referees did "swallow" their whistles when Eli Manning - clearly in the grasp of a Patriots' Defensive Lineman (Richard Seymour) - was "allowed" to play on and go on to complete a pass. Nevermind too that the Giant OLineman held Seymour around the neck from behind.

Actually, I can understand that play (coming in desperation time) better than I could the call for a safety on the Patriots first play from the LOS. Should have been an easy scenario (2nd & 10) not 2-0 with NE having to kickoff.

It's the right call, an easy call, and should be made. End of story.

Really petty, lousy post on your part.

Reaction Score
It's the right call, an easy call, and should be made. End of story.

Really petty, lousy post on your part.

Yeah . . . ah, NOT. Actually, calling Tuck for roughing the passer was closer to the fact (and I wouldn't have thrown the flag on that one.)

BTW, the safety call in the UConn v UNC game in '09 was also a BS call. Referees are supposed to put points on the board. That's for the players to do. Just keep the flag in your pocket.

And the rule's a bad one too. On pass interference in the end zone, if it's called, ball is placed on the one yard line (the ref's don't give the offense a TD). If a penalty occurs with QB in end zone, just put the ball on the one - don't award points.

Reaction Score

CRY BABY

Reaction Score
Yeah . . . ah, NOT. Actually, calling Tuck for roughing the passer was closer to the fact (and I wouldn't have thrown the flag on that one.)

BTW, the safety call in the UConn v UNC game in '09 was also a BS call. Referees are supposed to put points on the board. That's for the players to do. Just keep the flag in your pocket.

And the rule's a bad one too. On pass interference in the end zone, if it's called, ball is placed on the one yard line (the ref's don't give the offense a TD). If a penalty occurs with QB in end zone, just put the ball on the one - don't award points.

That's rewarding the QB for committing a penalty that, if not committed, would have resulted in a score. I could see your point on holding/illegal contact penalties, but not on intentional grounding.

Refs shouldn't swallow the whistle on obvious calls. That's the typical loser's lament.

Reaction Score

That call in the Uconn-Unc game was the correct call as crushing as that loss was you clearly dont know the rules of football

Reaction Score
That call in the Uconn-Unc game was the correct call as crushing as that loss was you clearly dont know the rules of football

The only question on that call was whether it occurred in the end zone or not. Ryan tackled the guy and Endres would have been killed if he didn't.

Reaction Score
The only question on that call was whether it occurred in the end zone or not. Ryan tackled the guy and Endres would have been killed if he didn't.

thats true Uconn had aready blown a 10-0 4th quarter lead so that probably would have lost anyways, at the time I questioned the call because I was at the game but looking at the rule book I thought it was the right call. Bottom line Uconn didnt deserve to win that game.

Reaction Score

I agree to an extent. It was technically the correct call, but like Brady said afterwards, it's a judgmental call for the ref. It could go either way. Personally, I'm not sure you make that call in the Super Bowl. Maybe you let the players play. I'm not sure. It was easily the most important play of the game though along with Welker's dropped pass.

I think the most important play was when the Giants had 12 men on the field with 17 seconds left. It's a flawed system that because of the penalty, the Pats can repeat the down, but they don't put the time back on the clock. What's not to stop teams who are winning and on defense from purposely putting more men on the field in the final seconds of a game? They get more coverage for free while the clock runs out.

Reaction Score
TDGuy....how are those sour grapes? It.s fans like you that make these games even sweeter.....hope you are suffering while you whine.....funny stuff.....tuck this, eli that , they kicked your a**

Reaction Score
Actually, calling Tuck for roughing the passer was closer to the fact

Yep, really late . . .

67874788.jpg

Reaction Score
Not a Pats fan and I thought it was a horse$hit call. In the Super Bowl ? Really ? You used to be able to throw the ball down the line of scrimmage out of bounds intentionally. The official doesn't know what routes were being run, etc. Crap call in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Brady never argued it neither did Bellichick
What the hell good would that do ? Nevermind that the actual call was made long after the play was over when Brady could have made an argument about who he was throwing at or to.

Reaction Score
The ref consulted with the back judge to make sure that it wasn't a miscommunication between Brady and a receiver, then threw the flag. The officials did everything right on that play.
And how would he know that ? ESP ?

Reaction Score
What the hell good would that do ? Nevermind that the actual call was made long after the play was over when Brady could have made an argument about who he was throwing at or to.

in the rule book it was a safety he was never outside the pocket and was no where near a receiver end of discussion

Reaction Score

Sorry dead, Dead wrong on this one so sorry about your bet - Brady knew NOONE broke thier pattern like some would like to think he just made sure he threw it 30 yards over everything period...............safety and a good call after review.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom