Sadie Edwards to transfer | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Sadie Edwards to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's high unlikely for a coach to allow a player to transfer in mid season and then sit out the following season to get 3 full years. The norm with midseason transfer is that they must do a full year of residency then play. I wonder how it works doing a year and a half of residency, if the player will have to pay the half year tuition. A few special cases all being a mid season transfers 1. NCAA waived her sitting out due to hardship sick grandmother and allowed her to play immediately but she sat out anyway. 2. Transfer will be eligible later this month school contiplated a medical redshirt as she would be playing behind a senior. 3. School allowed a transfer but didn't release her from loi making her lose a full year of eligibility.
Think my confusion was from technically there is no half year of eligibility as everything is considered a year. So she has used a year already even though it's been a couple months. If she plays midseason next year that would be considered a year not a half year. So technically she has 3 years of eligibility no matter how you slice it, the number of total games will be reduced.
I don't think coaches, ADs or schools really worry about an extra half year of scholarship in terms of the cost, and I don't think the NCAA cares about the reason a player does not play during a year when she would be eligible as long as she does not play in any games during that year - the 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility rule. The decision would be between the coach and Edwards at a new school and not dictated by either the AD or the NCAA.
Pretty sure Lawlor has not been granted a scholarship and pretty sure that Polly is on a full scholarship, though she may have been told specifically that it is only available if it isn't needed for a new recruit (regardless of her performance) which would be different from the typical recruit. I suspect that Lawlor would get a scholly at some point if available and she continues at her current commitment level.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Wrong. Pulido is definitely on scholarship due to the fact that she originally had a track scholly but because she played basketball as well her scholly was transferred to count against the basketball team per NCAA regs. I am also 99% sure that Lawlor was awarded a scholly as well as a reward for her hard work.

Partial scholarships are never given in women's basketball because it is a "head count" sport. This means that any aid at all received by a player and they count against the 15 scholarship limit.

Pulido is not on full scholarship for track either. Again, she may be on partial scholarship.

Reaction Score
You are missing the term "ATHLETIC AID". Not need based, Not academic, Not a grant from the Irish American club but "ATHLETIC AID" or "ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP" is the key.

I'm not sure you really understand the nuances of the NCAA rules - which admittedly can be confusing and have some grey areas. In a past life I once worked in this area and I understand them quite well. I fully understand that the issue is ATHLETIC AID. What is unclear is whether that is what Pulido is receiving. I can find no evidence as to what kind of aid she is getting or whether it would be classified as "athletic aid" under the NCAA bylaws. It is irrelevant that she is an athlete - only the type of aid matters. A few facts:

1. As a track athlete, if she received either normal need-based aid or some sort of earned academic scholarship, that is NOT "athletic aid", per the NCAA bylaws, and that would not make her a "counter".
2. The great majority of track athletes do not receive full scholarships (or even half) since the number available is very low relative to the number of athletes on a team. Thus schools try to use need-based aid and/or academic awards as much as possible, since that money does not count towards the scholarship limit (except in sports such as football and basketball). Pulido was a good, but not great, recruit - and UConn brought in 17 T&F athletes her freshman year, some clearly better than her. There were likely about four athletic scholarships to split among those 17 athletes, so it is clear that the coaches would use other types of aid as much as possible, as many programs do.
3. I don't know - nor do you - how her aid was structured. And newspaper articles are unhelpful since 99.9% of writers have no understanding at all about this subject. For an example of that, spend some time looking at articles over the years on Ivy League and Patriot League (pre-2013) football recruits. See how many of them supposedly got scholarships - even though neither of those leagues allows its members to give scholarships. All these players received was need-based aid, which the writers confused with a football scholarship.
4. IF she is now only receiving need-based aid and/or academic awards, then as a basketball player who was not recruited, she would not be a counter for basketball. Again, neither of has any idea - and she certainly could be a counter. But I can find no evidence either way as to what kind of aid she is receiving or how much.
5. To repeat, she may well be a counter. But I have seen no evidence, either way, to make a judgement.

Reaction Score
..... Thus schools try to use need-based aid and/or academic awards as much as possible, since that money does not count towards the scholarship limit (except in sports such as football and basketball).
Very helpful explanation!

So, if she were getting need-based aid, and now she's on the basketball team, wouldn't that make her a "counter"?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

So, if she were getting need-based aid, and now she's on the basketball team, wouldn't that make her a "counter"?

Vell, if I vanted to be a Counter, I vould watch Sesame Street and practice! "Vone! Ah-ah-ah-ah! Two! ah-ah-ah-ah! Three! ah-ah-ah-ah!.."

Reaction Score

Not necessarily. A basketball player who was not recruited and who receives only need-based aid and/or academic scholarships is not a counter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
WTF ? She's a freshman for crying out loud. A month into the season. Good lord

Reaction Score
I don't want to say anything against a player, but I am kind of glad she is gone. If she needs the playing time more than the chance to play for a contender I would rather she goes. I would rather have less players and have them all glad to play their part in a championship (while still having the drive to compete for more playing time). to me this is why I am so happy to see the walk-ons succeed. those are the ultimate UConn players. That said I hope she is happy and continues to succeed.

You might be missing out on something here. First, I see no rational for speaking about her in the same breath as you do the walk-ons (not withstanding o sittheir talent and worth, etc)- she is not in that category; second, she was a top ranked player and no player of that calibre is willing to sit on the bench and enter a game that is over; third, some of these players are willing (more then we think) to sit out and learn when it is clear that they have a spot to inherit or be in a playing rotation. As I see it, Nurse and Chong are ahead of her and she must look over her shoulder for future PGs (it may, perhaps, explain why we missed out on a pg this summer t o LV- if we were in the mix). At the SG position there were others sitting and waiting and even better, perhaps. Let us not forget that Gabby was a (pt)guard and could move back there as the front court become more

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I like Bob Joyce's thoughts in his blog -

"When the Huskies take the court in Bridgeport next Friday, Sadie Edwards won’t be there. She’s decided to transfer when the semester is over in search of more playing time. We wish her well and hope good things happen to her. Her decision to leave more proof that wanting to play at UConn and playing at UConn are two very different things and it’s not for everyone."

Reaction Score
I can see a player who admires UConn and is recruited by them thinking she could deal with what it takes and deciding to come to live her dream.
Then, her dream doesn't play out exactly right. She realizes the depth of talent on the team and the long road she has to realize much playing time. She may have been prepared to work hard and be patient, but when she sees the strong possibility of a large part of her playing career spent on the bench, she may reconsider.
I can understand a player who wants to play at a high level, but sees that she is not going to be able to play much with one team, moving to another. Personally, I would rather contribute significantly to a team that wins its conference and maybe gets to the Sweet Sixteen, than sit on the bench for a National Champion. YMMV. Of course the trick is to be sure that you are not bailing out too soon and could have contributed to that NC team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
After the team returned from Notre Dame Edwards met with Auriemma and said she wanted to play more and made the decision to leave. So what was Auriemma's thoughts during that conversation?

"I appreciate that and hopefully you learned something when you were here, hopefully you land at the right place for us,"Auriemma said.

Also comments from Gabby Williams and KML on the subject:

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/12/reaction-to-departure-of-sadie-edwards.html

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...m-uconn-womens-basketball-20141217-story.html

“If a good player ever left here, you might have to defend why [as a coaching staff],” Auriemma said of possible static with future recruits. “But you don’t have to defend this.”

That sounds harsh. I didn't see that coming. Maybe an over read on my part and he is just saying she came and it didn't feel right, so she decided to leave.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Perhaps, Rocky, what he's saying is, if a player leaves for whom playing time is not a factor - basically, most players seem to leave because they desire more game minutes than they are getting, or because of home-sickness/personal issues. If a player leaves when PT isn't an issue, and they don't have EDD/Kia Wright?/ Walker personal ties tugging on them, then the coaching staff would have to self-examine pretty closely to figure out what went wrong.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...m-uconn-womens-basketball-20141217-story.html

“If a good player ever left here, you might have to defend why [as a coaching staff],” Auriemma said of possible static with future recruits. “But you don’t have to defend this.”

That sounds harsh. I didn't see that coming. Maybe an over read on my part and he is just saying she came and it didn't feel right, so she decided to leave.
Nahh - you read right. Geno just hasn't achieved Kaleena's level of sensitivity and maturity yet :cool:

Reaction Score
Perhaps, Rocky, what he's saying is, if a player leaves for whom playing time is not a factor - basically, most players seem to leave because they desire more game minutes than they are getting, or because of home-sickness/personal issues. If a player leaves when PT isn't an issue, and they don't have EDD/Kia Wright?/ Walker personal ties tugging on them, then the coaching staff would have to self-examine pretty closely to figure out what went wrong.

I agree with your interpretation.
Players leaving for lack of an obvious (or clearly stated) reason will likely get more attention from future recruits.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Lets look at the comments in context:

“Every coach when a kid transfers will tell you they [the transfer] wanted more playing time and how they [the coaching staff] could see the writing on the wall,” Auriemma said. “No coach wants to make a kid look bad [in public]. But I kick myself sometimes because when I recruit a kid I know right from the start whether it’s going to work or not.”
“If a good player ever left here, you might have to defend why [as a coaching staff],” Auriemma said of possible static with future recruits. “But you don’t have to defend this.”.

The first paragraph has a statement indicative of the intent to to embarrass the player who is transferring. But there are times when even Geno makes mistakes about whether a player he recruits will be successful at UConn (however the word "success" is defined).

Second, Sadie did not put up the numbers to be a "good" player while at UConn. She had plenty of high school accolades, to be sure. Remember, she was ranked 17th by ESPN/Hoopgurlz, 5th by ASGR, 9th by Blue Star, and 8th by Prospects Nation. This was not Diamond DeShields being the National Freshman of the Year, then deciding to transfer. This was not a player who was built up to be a game-changer in high school (e.g., Elena Delle Donne). In other words, while Sadie was a very good high school player and was ranked very high, she was not a "once in a decade" player or in the "exceptionally elite" class.

Had a player like Breanna Stewart, Brittany Griner, Candace Parker, etc. decided to transfer after one semester, THAT would have been something Geno would have had to defend. If a player who was the team's best player decided to leave after a semester (or even after one year, in the case of Diamond DeShields), that is something Geno would have had to explain to future recruits. But Sadie, for all of her accomplishments, was not that player, in terms of high school rating or on-court performance at UConn.

And that is what I think Geno meant.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That is a harsh statement. Spin it how you want, but Geno pretty much says what he thinks and I think he just said that Edwards is not a very good player.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Then we might conclude that two good people entered into a working relationship that both found unsatisfying. Nothing novel about that. The only sad part would be if they denied their personal and professional truths and failed to become the people they can be. By going their separate ways.

Reaction Score
That is a harsh statement. Spin it how you want, but Geno pretty much says what he thinks and I think he just said that Edwards is not a very good player.
I agree! IMO Geno meant exactly what he said. That's what I love about Geno though...he speaks his mind, regardless if he's stepping on anyone's toes or not.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect, on reflection, that Geno did not care for the topic being brought up to him, for two reasons he tells us: The answer embarrasses a player and the answer also is an admission of a recruiting mistake on his part. So he got a little snarky about the situation being one needing no explanation in future recruiting. In hindsight I'm sure he would have rather blah blahed it with an "if Stewie left we'd have something to talk about", but his Italian got to him as occasionally it does.

Reaction Score
I think the interpretations are a bit extreme. I'm not sure he is saying she isn't a good player. Also,I think that he was expressing the normal feeling from experienced managers. When it isn't working, experienced staff know it fairly quickly and it is better to find a spot where the person can live up to their highest potential. It has been indicated that Geno has a successful method that is fairly set. If it doesn't click, it probably won't and it will be evident fairly quickly.

I don't think it necessary to disparage a person who has given that amount of effort. Remember, Sadie was going into the situation with no prior frame of reference. I think it didn't work out and we should all thank her for her effort and move on.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sadie's lack of PT resulted from not practicing hard enough or picking up things quickly enough. She is not the first player for which either is true. Geno did infer that he knew she wasn't going to work out. I have no idea about the practices, but Sadie has good skills and is articulate in interviews. Is she good enough to play for a top team? Was she too impatient to work her way up at UConn? I don't know. I think it's sad, but best wishes to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom