#sad | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#sad

Reaction Score
they're just a bunch of entitled brats

Think it’s more that our early years of 1-A transition spoiled us and masked the fact that 1) having successful basketball programs doesn’t mean success will automatically trickle dow to football, and 2) that early success with Edsall’s teams in the 2000s couldn’t hide long-term the lack of culture, history & tradition that many other P5 school have had compared to us, and it’s reflected in both the weak recruiting & coaching (post Edsall 1.0), with a very fickle fan base, and with drawing the short straw in every single round of conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Try to be a little tolerant.

For years now our football program has been complicated by the presence of opposing teams on game day.

I continue to be tolerant: I was in the stadium when the 70th point was scored. I will be at the rest of the home games, and away games at BC and UCF. The play sheet toss as a moment of human-ness, probably unnoticed by most of the fans in the stadium and those watching on TV.

Reaction Score
I’m glad Edsall tossed the clipboard and was frustrated and embarassed by what happened last night. Let him see first hand how much the previous regimes destroyed this program since he left. Let him see what we as fans have had to endure.

I really don’t care much about the scoring record personally. Memphis has been a good offensive team the last 2+ seasons. For me it was about the total consistent confusion & submission of our D last night and all season. They simply can’t stop anything, and it destroys the psyche of the rest of the team. Edsall & Crocker are trying to get them to learn this new D when they already know these players aren’t built to do it. And they can’t even play the 4-3 either with what they have. No depth, speed, or experience where it counts. So until they learn this new D or Edsall puts a band-aid on it and changes schemes to see if it works any better, it will be like this all season.

Reaction Score
I can't blame Edsall, Crocker, AD Dave. This falls on Diaco and Manuel. This team is a a mix of low level FCS quality recruits. During Diaco's tenure I rarely saw tweets from recruits or Rivals saying "I am blessed to receive my 6th offer from UConn". Instead I watched recruits with offers from Maine, Rhode Island and others. As fans we tried to justify this as Diamonds in the rough, large frame guys, the ranking system lower grades northeast guys. Reality, our recruits are not good enough to be FBS players and some FCS schools as well.

Warde Manuel didn't hire Calhoun, Geno, Stevens, and was forced to hire Ollie. He pulled the plug on Pasqualoni too late and hired Diaco. He then used the success of other programs to Bolt to Michigan. I like AD Dave and have faith that this program can be turned around. This year is ground zero, it will be a building project. I think we have the right people leading the ship, we just need to bring in some talent.

Reaction Score
It's gonna take time. But the fans ain't coming back without winning first. Those days are officially over. Fancy hashtags like #REstored mean squat. It's gonna take #REsults!

Did that come to you in your slumber?

I hope AD Dave works that in one week.;)

Reaction Score
Manuel was a disaster. Given a choice I’d take Hathaway and he was, well, a disaster. And Diaco was a bad coach and bad recruiter. I’d be surprised if we don’t see a fair number of true freshmen playing next year too. To me that tells you all you need to know about Diacos recruiting when you have true Frosh at so many positions. There was nobody to beat out.

Reaction Score
Did that come to you in your slumber?

I hope AD Dave works that on in one week.;)
Maybe. I was just thinking of how hard they pushed season tickets with very little increase. After 7 year gimmicks won't work. #REsults!

Reaction Score
Manuel was a disaster. Given a choice I’d take Hathaway and he was, well, a disaster. And Diaco was a bad coach and bad recruiter. I’d be surprised if we don’t see a fair number of true freshmen playing next year too. To me that tells you all you need to know about Diacos recruiting when you have true Frosh at so many positions. There was nobody to beat out.
Are you serious...that a s s hat is the reason we are in the whole mess we are watching right now..from the football program to UConn's place in CR! Manuel was actually an improvement over that !

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Going back to the OP, the sadness is on the part of the team's performance. The student section was pretty full for the 1st half. They quit on the game about the same time the defense did.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I’m glad Edsall tossed the clipboard and was frustrated and embarassed by what happened last night. Let him see first hand how much the previous regimes destroyed this program since he left. Let him see what we as fans have had to endure.

I really don’t care much about the scoring record personally. Memphis has been a good offensive team the last 2+ seasons. For me it was about the total consistent confusion & submission of our D last night and all season. They simply can’t stop anything, and it destroys the psyche of the rest of the team. Edsall & Crocker are trying to get them to learn this new D when they already know these players aren’t built to do it. And they can’t even play the 4-3 either with what they have. No depth, speed, or experience where it counts. So until they learn this new D or Edsall puts a band-aid on it and changes schemes to see if it works any better, it will be like this all season.

Yes, what I don't get is the acknowledgment that our players don't fit the D we're running, but there's nothing that we can do about that until we get better players. For one thing, you just threw your whole D roster under the bus. You also told your entire fanbase that we're likely headed for a 1-11 season because nothing can or will be changed, so get used to it. Look no further than the week-to-week scores. Our scoring defense has consistently gotten worse each week. 27, 38, 41, 49 and 70 points allowed. Anybody see a trend here?

I knew the disaster Diaco created wasn't going to get miraculously fixed overnight, but a stubborn unwillingness to change anything regarding the defensive woes isn't much different than Diaco claiming his first few games were merely "exhibitions".

I still think this team has enough talent that it should be able to win three or four games against this schedule. Based on the current attitude of the coaching staff, prepare for 1-11.

Reaction Score
Nobody is expecting miracles. But there are quite a few false arguments. To say it's all on a talentless, hopeless group of kids is too much for me. We have coaches for a reason. Their job is to put the current team in the best position possible. You simply can't say that after giving up 70 points. You change schemes and try until you tried everything. This stubborn insistence on a 3-3 that is getting shredded at historical rates is fascinating. You couldnt persuade me in a million years that Crocker's scheme was the optimal defensive outcome last night. By definition that means a 4-3 base would have yielded more than 70? Come on, let's get real. Our little fan base also suffers the same losing affliction... if only we had some better players... oh, next year we can recruit what we need...oh, we can't compete for talent in the AAC..., oh RE left the cupboard bare, ...PPGL left the cupboard bare.. no, Diaco really really left it bare.....the northeast has no players...yada... yada all BS excuses.

The first step to accountability is holding someone accountable. That's how things improve. Crocker should be out the door this week.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can't have the worst D in America and expect support.

It's on RE to show some measurable improvement in this area. Most of the players are coming back. If he can do that then you can have some optimism. If not, next year looks worse.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I would be the happiest crow eater on the planet.
Something just a tad creepy about this avatar/quote combo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom