Sad news about HuskyBill | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sad news about HuskyBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am devastated. And sad beyond belief.

Eli, my condolences to you your family. Bill was a treasure that contributed greatly to the home away from home we call the boneyard.

It will never be the same here.

Mark

Reaction Score
official obituary for Bill
William Joel Dunn, 71, of Meriden died at home early Saturday, March 15, 2014.
Born in New Haven on June 30, 1942, he was the son of the late Irving and Ethel Dunn.
He is survived by his brother Saul Eli Dunn, sister Susan Dunn Starr, niece Beth Starr Lovell and her husband Michael and their son Aaron, nephew Jonathan Starr, cousins Elma T. Guttenberg, Miriam Galewitz, Charlotte Krosnick, Abigail Caplan, Priscilla Caplan, Ellen Barson and their families.

Bill graduated from Hillhouse High School, and earned a degree in accounting from Quinnipiac College. After graduating, Bill began his professional career as comptroller at Home Meat Center. He soon pursued his individual interests and started his own business as a dealer and collector of rare books, creating Dunn’s Mysteries of Choice which later became Dunn & Powell. He retired from a 40 year career that was well-known by collectors all over the world.
Bill loved travelling to book shows, collecting books, songwriting, and eating at greasy spoons. He was an Ayn Rand enthusiast, and believed in Libertarian principles. Known as Husky Bill on the Boneyard, he was a lifelong, dedicated UCONN husky fan who, with his brother, traveled to approximately one thousand men’s and women’s basketball games, including driving to and between championship games in New Orleans and San Antonio in 2004.

Donations in Bill’s memory can be made to Horn of Africa Education Development Fund, c/o Susan Starr, 27 Dick Drive, Worcester, MA 01609, or to the charity of your choice.
Funeral service will be held on Monday March 17th at 11 AM at the Robert E. Shure Funeral Home, 543 George Street, New Haven.

Reaction Score
It is very sad when someone dies, but especially sad when a member of the Husky family dies. Rest in peace Bill!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very, very sorry to hear of Bill's passing. He was one of my favorite posters here. Always with a witty comment to make. Never took himself too seriously. I met Bill at a couple games, very nice guy. He will be missed.

Sympathy and prayers for his family.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm stunned and saddened. I saw him at the AAC just the other day. I cannot believe he is no longer with us. What a sad day.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
My heart goes out to Bill's Family for their loss and I am tremendously saddened by the loss I feel. I'm just too stunned by this news to say any more right now.

Reaction Score
I am also saddened to hear of Bill's passing. His passion for the Huskies shone through in his posts. He was witty, and funny and sarcastic. I always like that in a person.

While the Boneyard will truly miss him, our loss cannot compare to the loss that is felt by his family and friends. My deepest sympathy goes out to them all.

God Bless you, Husky Bill. I hold you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
wow this hurts, HuskyBill and I always ran into each other at the BET's because we were they only ones that went to ALL the games from the start of the tourney. We exchanged opinions etc. and he always finished our conversation with a jab about the "orange team" lol

Rest In Paradise HuskyBill :(

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear of his death. He had a wonderful sense of humor that he brought to numerous topics as I would flit through the BY. He will indeed be missed.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I read somewhere once upon a time, that the true definition of a sense of humor is the ability to laugh at oneself. Bill had that in abundant measure. In all of his consistently clever posts on the Boneyard, I do not recall a single one that displayed any sort of negative emotion. When he occasionally displayed disagreement with another poster, it was always done with good humor and wit, never with venom. He will be greatly missed. We willna see his like again.

Jim

Reaction Score
My deepest sympathies go to Bill's family and close friends. I never met Bill but I looked forward to his posts. He will be missed.

On a side note, I was struck by Eli's post so soon after the loss of his brother. That he would think of the BoneYard in his time of grief brings new meaning to #HuskyFamily.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Have always thoroughly enjoyed his wit and feistiness. Very sad and unexpected. RIP Huskybill.

Reaction Score
It's a sad day for the Boneyard, to be sure! We share a bond here talking about all things that are Huskie! I recall reading and enjoying his posts as I've enjoyed the posts of countless others here. They all add to the fabric that is the Boneyard and makes this the place to be for all Huskie fans. Anytime a regular is no longer with us for any reason but particularly due to his or her passing on, it's a real loss. May God Bless!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm very sad to hear this. He'll be missed.

My thoughts and prayers to the family.

JS

Reaction Score
I'm shocked and offer deepest condolences to the family. As for the Boneyard, a unique voice is stilled.

Looked up his last post. It was just this past Tuesday, in the thread "Atmosphere at the AAC Tourney." Bill wrote simply "Smokey!"

gnomedesk.jpg

Typical HuskyBill: an offbeat twist to the topic at hand. Subtle, such that one often had to pause a moment or two to catch his meaning. Sometimes that meaning was a humorous "misconstruction" of others' statements, centered on a core of truth -- such as a sly poke at Boneyarders' hypocrisy. (Not for nothing his admin-supplied nickname of "Slyboots").

In that last post, one assumes the reference was to the Mohegan Sun's smoking policy. (Tribal lands aren't subject to local laws; while the arena itself is nonsmoking, a first-time visitor may be surprised to find that there are both smoking and nonsmoking sections of the huge complex).

Many of us liked to poke fun at Bill's diminutive stature -- some of the good-natured gibes being of Bill-class cleverness. He never seemed to resent it and often joined in, one-upping the giber at his own expense. I think he was past any self-consciousness and just enjoyed the wit, even adopting the roaming gnome as his avatar.

Though I met Bill many times at games and had short conversations with him, I don't have the honor, as many here do, of calling him a friend. What I can say is he was a smart guy, at once a great fan and a supplier of good-natured perspective on fan-hood -- in short, a source of delightful posts that simply can't be replaced.

HuskyBill was one of those few posters who will, I think, acquire the status of "legendary." If we had a "Boneyarders of Honor" wall, his avatar would go on it. We were enriched by his presence here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've only been on the BY about a year but HuskyBill was one of the twenty or so who I really enjoyed reading. My condolences to his family and friends.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
As one who rarely posts but always reads the BY, Bill was a real favorite of mine. I always looked forward to his posts. My prayers go out to his family and loved ones on his passing.

He will be very dearly missed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Eli, my heartfelt condolences go out to you and Bill's family. May he rest peacefully in divine grace.

I enjoyed seeing him at games when I made it to CT. He was one of the true joys of the Boneyard. He was witty, fun, and had the true spirit of a gnome.

I will think of him every time I enjoy some BRATS.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I was very interested to see that he was a rare book collector. I guess he had his own shop too, is that the case? No wonder he was so quick with the odd bit of information.

Reaction Score
So sorry for your loss and our loss as Boneyarders! I had the pleasure to meet Bill in different UConn games and there is no doubt that he was as devoted a fan as there is and he was a funny men to boot! May he rest in peace!

HGN

Reaction Score
I am very sorry for your and our loss of HuskyBill. You have my Condolences.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
My condolences to HuskyBill family. You will be in my prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom