Sabrina Ionescu (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu (merged thread)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She should count herself lucky she plays in a part of the country where women's sports is generally valued.

Reaction Score
I hate the whip around coverage and the blacked out games shown only in a couple states. I'm with Sabrina. Each women's game needs to be shown in its entirety.

Were not all games on ESPN app?

EDIT: Saying that, I have always thought ESPN could have taken a page from the Men's//CBS tourney, using CBS, Tru, TBS and TNT to show all games. Not that ESPN does not have channels to their disposal. To have dedicated channels to show each game is what should be done...instead relegating fans to scamper to streaming devices and apps. There I said my piece.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hate the whip around coverage and the blacked out games shown only in a couple states. I'm with Sabrina. Each women's game needs to be shown in its entirety.

As stated on this board, the whip around coverage is not really whip around, They generally stay with the primary game through the second half and switch only when the game is really out of hand. And all the games are on ESPN3 (Free on WATCH ESPN).

Reaction Score
I'll take, "Things you should never admit to for $500, Alex."

Ding...Ding...Ding! Let's play Double Jeopardy!

1553600862980.png

Reaction Score
What's wrong with her stance? She's absolutely justified in feeling that women get short-changed. They do.

Then say it for all women's in the game. She could have just said, "It's awesome to get one in the tournament, I'm happy I was able to do it in front of the home crowd and with everyone supporting me."

1553601194250.png

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This all reminds me of, I believe it was, the Wade Trophy media day in 2009, where Maya Moore jokingly asked Courtney Paris something to the tune of "if her teammates were ever upset about losing out on assists because she'd miss her lay-ups on purpose to get an extra rebound" to keep her streak alive. I can't find the video of it anymore but it always gave me a chuckle.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In a related story, the SDSU / OU game will blacked out in all 50 states. ;)

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Then say it for all women's in the game. She could have just said, "It's awesome to get one in the tournament, I'm happy I was able to do it in front of the home crowd and with everyone supporting me."

View attachment 41412

She literally says "ESPN never recognizes women's sports" which is true. Ja Morant had a triple-double in the first round against Marquette and everyone was talking about it. Sabrina has one with 29 points, which ties Dwayne Wade for most points in a Triple-Double, and ESPN barely talked about it on their site. I really don't think there is anything wrong with what she said.

Why can't she boast about her achievements and call out ESPN for their lack of coverage on a massive achievement without having to be the mouth piece for ALL of women's basketball (Even though she calls women's sports out)? If you google "Sabrina Ionescu Triple Double" there isn't an article from ESPN about her Tourney Triple Double (there is one from ESPNW about her life that references her triple doubles...but if you google Ja Morant you get a full article with video and history from ESPN. Morant first with tourney triple-double since '12.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My opinion of Ionescu just took a nosedive.

As for ESPN - They are a business. Whatever your opinion about their coverage of women's sports, it there were money to be made they would cover it. There's just not enough interest. As it is, if it wasn't for ESPN, how much women's sports would be televised?

Reaction Score
She's right that women's sports don't get the coverage they deserve. There was a PBS documentary about the lack of media interest in women's sports, even when attendance is strong.

So good for her for taking a stand for women's sports. A lot of media executives may resent it, but it needs to be said.

Reaction Score
She literally says "ESPN never recognizes women's sports" which is true. Ja Morant had a triple-double in the first round against Marquette and everyone was talking about it. Sabrina has one with 29 points, which ties Dwayne Wade for most points in a Triple-Double, and ESPN barely talked about it on their site. I really don't think there is anything wrong with what she said.

Why can't she boast about her achievements and call out ESPN for their lack of coverage on a massive achievement without having to be the mouth piece for ALL of women's basketball (Even though she calls women's sports out)? If you google "Sabrina Ionescu Triple Double" there isn't an article from ESPN about her Tourney Triple Double (there is one from ESPNW about her life that references her triple doubles...but if you google Ja Morant you get a full article with video and history from ESPN. Morant first with tourney triple-double since '12.

She can boast about her accomplishments...and she has. We are talking about two different things here, ESPN, which I somehow agree with regarding their coverage (stated in another thread my opinion). The other is Sabrina and her statements. If you agree with her that's fine, I don't. When one interjects "their" accomplishments to media and other sources, to me that is usually reserved when one approaches a boss to get an increase in salary.

Reaction Score
I do want to listen to a talk show on tv, or even a podcast that would cover UConn women BB in an intelligent way, maybe an hour a couple of nights a week during the season , and once a week the rest of the year..I

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Do people really despise Sabrina that much that they can’t take a joke anymore? Sheesh.
Some people must. Talk about making mountains. She needs to emulate Foghorn Leghorn and say "That's a joke son, that's a joke."

Reaction Score
I Have enjoyed the pre and postgame interviews posted on YouTube about the huskies..

Reaction Score
Above I read MANY "don't get the coverage they DESERVE" posts.
Please tell me on what basis they DESERVE any coverage.
If people watch, then advertisers will pay to have those eyeballs endure their ad. If people don't watch, advertisers don't pay. And if there is not revenue stream, then exactly who/what is going to pay for the production of the broadcast?
If YOU think money is there to be made, then YOU can start your own network. All YOU have to do is get a few others (with money) to invest in your idea. Then hire people with know-how in the broadcasting industry. Very simple.
Otherwise, quit complaining. Be thankful that you get ANY broadcast.

Reaction Score
I suspect that her statement was made with a pretty bright twinkle in her eye. Good lord, the world has real problems to get upset about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom