SA Stars moving | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SA Stars moving

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder which arena they will play. You have the T-Mobile Arena, Orleans Arena, MGM Arena, and Thomas and Mack.... there are probably a few others.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sacramento would be a lot closer to her home.

Haha Oops, I guess that's true. My West Coast geography is quite poor it seems.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Move to Philly and arrange a one-sided trade for EDD.
I like.png

Reaction Score
No surprise, as every time I tuned in to League Pass to watch them play, if it was a home game, fan attendance was embarrassingly dismal. Of course it hasn't helped that they rarely win. And their draft pickups in recent years have left them with an asymmetrical team structure that hasn't done them a bit of good.

I do hope that ownership doesn't lose their shirt on this transaction. I can only imaging what the operating losses have been like.

And here's hoping that they end up in Boston! I currently consider the Sun to be my WNBA team. But regrettably, I cannot make it out to Uncasville nearly often enough.

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
WNBA players are not poor.
Yes their salaries are minuscule compared to male athletes, but rookies get at least 40k for 6 months of work. That's not bad for a 22 year old.

That doesn't do much in the Bay Area where a town home will cost you 1.5M and rents for 1BR apartments are about 2-3K per month (much more in SF)

Reaction Score
I do hope that ownership doesn't lose their shirt on this transaction. I can only imaging what the operating losses have been like.

And here's hoping that they end up in Boston! I currently consider the Sun to be my WNBA team. But regrettably, I cannot make it out to Uncasville nearly often enough.
The current owner is the San Antonio Spurs. They’re probably tired of losing their shirt every year. By any standard business valuation that projects future profits based on the past results, I suspect the Stars are worth “zero.” The Spurs might be considering themselves lucky to find a buyer willing to take them off their hands for virtually nothing.

Reaction Score
Yep! Met her in the airport after a Wings-Mercury game. She was awesome and so nice. The players were all just sitting in the airport waiting to board a SW flight, and I think i was the only person who recognized her :( Griner was still out with injury, she would probably have gotten noticed.
Cool story - I'm jealous!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yep! Met her in the airport after a Wings-Mercury game. She was awesome and so nice. The players were all just sitting in the airport waiting to board a SW flight, and I think i was the only person who recognized her :( Griner was still out with injury, she would probably have gotten noticed.
So, Diana goes from charter flights with UConn to Southwest flights with the Mercury. Hmmmm.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I said 40k for SIX MONTHS. They all could go abroad and total north of 100k for the year.

No one said they needed to live in SF city. Or that the team would even be located there. The Bay Area is large.
I recall no such concern for Liberty players when their home was MSG.

And they are in their 20s, they easily could get roommates .

I wish more people recognized that compared to most civilians, WNBA players have it really really good. Think about this...how many people fresh out college found a dream job that allowed you to work 4 months of the year and earn 40-50k? Keep it up a few years, and you'll likely get a massive raise and will now make 90-100k in 4 months. You'll also have 8 months off between seasons where you can explore other career options (ex. have the inside track to jumpstart a sports career whether it's broadcasting, coaching, etc.) or get paid solid 6 figures to play overseas. Many players have endorsement deals to make side money and most importantly, they are getting paid to play the sport they love!

As a side note, all of these players also have a college degree they didn't spend a penny for, and many players are now taking advantage of redshirt years to earn a Masters degree, which they also don't pay for. The athletes are essentially 'working' by playing basketball and they devote much of their life to it, but my point is they have it pretty good compared to most students to are racked with debt by the time they graduate, and if they can make it to the pros, they have it really good compared to probably 99% of college grads entering the workforce.

Reaction Score
So, Diana goes from charter flights with UConn to Southwest flights with the Mercury. Hmmmm.
Yeah, D famously described the UConn WBB lifestyle: "We live like rock stars." Remember the UConn BB "spending scandal" - $17,000 of OJ for team breakfasts, staying in the Goodwin Hotel the night before games at the Civic (XL) Center, etc? WNBA is a big demotion. Sounded like D & Sue pretty much lived like rock stars during the regular season in Russia for a few years though.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I said 40k for SIX MONTHS. They all could go abroad and total north of 100k for the year.

No one said they needed to live in SF city. Or that the team would even be located there. The Bay Area is large.
I recall no such concern for Liberty players when their home was MSG.

And they are in their 20s, they easily could get roommates .

I'm sold...send them to the Bay Area...Green Bay...Tampa Bay, etc

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wish more people recognized that compared to most civilians, WNBA players have it really really good. Think about this...how many people fresh out college found a dream job that allowed you to work 4 months of the year and earn 40-50k? Keep it up a few years, and you'll likely get a massive raise and will now make 90-100k in 4 months. You'll also have 8 months off between seasons where you can explore other career options (ex. have the inside track to jumpstart a sports career whether it's broadcasting, coaching, etc.) or get paid solid 6 figures to play overseas. Many players have endorsement deals to make side money and most importantly, they are getting paid to play the sport they love!

As a side note, all of these players also have a college degree they didn't spend a penny for, and many players are now taking advantage of redshirt years to earn a Masters degree, which they also don't pay for. The athletes are essentially 'working' by playing basketball and they devote much of their life to it, but my point is they have it pretty good compared to most students to are racked with debt by the time they graduate, and if they can make it to the pros, they have it really good compared to probably 99% of college grads entering the workforce.

Having it good for a recent graduate doesn't mean that they are able to afford to live in San Fran. Now, if they want to have a roommate, that is a different story.

Reaction Score
There are roughly 350 D1 teams and if there are an average of 12 players/team then over 1000 players a year graduate. Of those, maybe 20 get contracts in the WNBA and maybe 6 actually ever get to earn 90-100K after 4 or 5 years. Not such a great deal for most when we consider all the years of hard work. A person would do better off going to a HS & learning a trade like plumbing. At the age of 27 0r 28 they would be earning a lot more than 100K with the vast bulk of their career ahead of them instead of facing retirement at 32 or so.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
That doesn't do much in the Bay Area where a town home will cost you 1.5M and rents for 1BR apartments are about 2-3K per month (much more in SF)
Higher, higher.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yeah, D famously described the UConn WBB lifestyle: "We live like rock stars." Remember the UConn BB "spending scandal" - $17,000 of OJ for team breakfasts, staying in the Goodwin Hotel the night before games at the Civic (XL) Center, etc? WNBA is a big demotion. Sounded like D & Sue pretty much lived like rock stars during the regular season in Russia for a few years though.

I think it was last winter when D was on an ESPN basketball hour program when one of the co-hosts asked her whether she could truly buy anything in the malls, etc. while at Storrs and it was "Oh, yeah (pause) naw not really." Much laughter all around.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Having it good for a recent graduate doesn't mean that they are able to afford to live in San Fran. Now, if they want to have a roommate, that is a different story.

If they're only in SF for 4 months and make 45k in that timeframe, they can afford to live there for that summer. Or if they can't, then they may need a lesson in basic money management.

Reaction Score
This could get Gabby home. If she wants to be home...

Reno to Las Vegas is almost exactly the same distance as NY to Cleveland. Doesn't sound like "home" to me.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, this impending move will put one Stars player closer to home:
Kelsey Plum is from La Jolla/San Diego, which is about a 4+ hour drive, 1 hour + flight from Vegas versus considerably longer for San Antonio.

On the administrative front, I wonder if the new ownership group will start from scratch or give the current group a year to manage the transition and work with a fully healthy MoJeff joining Kmac and Plum.

Reaction Score
Well, this impending move will put one Stars player closer to home:
Kelsey Plum is from La Jolla/San Diego, which is about a 4+ hour drive, 1 hour + flight from Vegas versus considerably longer for San Antonio.

On the administrative front, I wonder if the new ownership group will start from scratch or give the current group a year to manage the transition and work with a fully healthy MoJeff joining Kmac and Plum.

I posted an article above

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom