S. Carolina, NC State, Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

S. Carolina, NC State, Texas

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No. The information about the 3 home games was in an email to season ticket holders asking them to renew.

The information is also consistent with what we already know about the non-conference schedule for next season. In June of last year it was announced that UConn and NC State had agreed to a home and home series beginning in the '22-'23 season with the first game at UConn. We also know that UConn and Texas had agreed to a home and home series back in 2019 that was to expected to begin in the '20-'21 season. The Texas series was delayed first because of Covid and then at the request of Texas. It looks like the series will finally start with the first game at UConn. Finally, UConn and SC have signed a contract to continue playing and the teams are due to meet at UConn during the upcoming season (last season's game at SC was cancelled).
Thanks, Cat. :)

Reaction Score
I can't decide who is a bigger pickup-

Rivers to NC State or Angel Reese to LSU.

sun

Reaction Score
I noticed that Mallory Collier 2023 verbally committed to the Wolfpack.
She's a banger 6'5" center now trying out for Team USA U17.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn and Maryland signed a deal to play home-and-home starting in '20-21 but it didn't happen because of covid. Looking like the teams will play during the '22-23 season with first of the home-and-home at Maryland.

Reaction Score
UConn and Maryland signed a deal to play home-and-home starting in '20-21 but it didn't happen because of covid. Looking like the teams will play during the '22-23 season with first of the home-and-home at Maryland.
Thanks for the info. That's a big time game. I think Maryland will be better than a lot of ppl expect. And they have a lot of good wing players

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow, that will be a very tough OOC road schedule with Texas, South Carolina, and NC State also slated to be on the road after playing in our state this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
I heard more outsiders crying about it than Wolfies
Yup - can confirm. We sat right behind the NC bench in with all the NC parents. No issue with playing in Bridgeport. We met and spoke to some great parents. We were all disappointed that both teams couldn't have advanced after that amazing 2OT game.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that ESPN loves to promote anti-UConn feelings. They did it by sensationalizing that last shot in the Baylor E8 game. Even Lobo was in the lynch mob. Then all they talked about for a week this year was the unfairness of UConn playing "at home", a lie that just kept being repeated. Over and over and over until now it's become the rallying cry of those wanting a "fairer" tournament. Someone at the time posted a list of over 20 instances where a higher seed had to play a "road game" against a lower seeded opponent. Not a peep from the media in those other years except an idle mention here and there.

Just another example of how money influences the sport. ESPN doesn't care whether people love or hate the Huskies. Just as long as it's one or the other. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Dawn said today she’s having a hard time filling up the schedule. NC State and Duke declined to renew the series. We have UConn, Stanford and Maryland. Don’t know who else she’s tried but those are a no go at least for this year. She joked that next year she probably won’t be able to fill everybody’s requests. :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Dawn said today she’s having a hard time filling up the schedule. NC State and Duke declined to renew the series. We have UConn, Stanford and Maryland. Don’t know who else she’s tried but those are a no go at least for this year. She joked that next year she probably won’t be able to fill everybody’s requests. :rolleyes:
Maybe she could try other (upper echelon) ACC teams? But I seriously doubt that any other top teams would really want to play SoCar...

Reaction Score
So Maryland has scheduled both UCONN & SC. Who else is on their OOC schedule?

Reaction Score
Maybe she could try other (upper echelon) ACC teams? But I seriously doubt that any other top teams would really want to play SoCar...
ND was a no and I think UNC was a no and Iowa is a no.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IDGI . Why would a school NOT agree to play UConn- especially one that is trying to establish itself as a top program?
That is a winning mindset. Not every coach has it. Some get locked into trying not to fail.

Reaction Score
That is a winning mindset. Not every coach has it. Some get locked into trying not to fail.
I suspect that has a lot to do with it. A coach with a .750 winning percentage probably isn't going to get fired no matter who they played against. Some coaches have to worry at least a little bit about job security.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sounds very similar to Geno’s challenge putting together an OOC schedule in 2015-16. While MD, ND, FSU & SC stepped up to the challenge, UConn had to schedule the likes of Chattanooga & Colgate, along with several P5 programs largely in rebuilding mode to fill out their schedule.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Sounds very similar to Geno’s challenge putting together an OOC schedule in 2015-16. While MD, ND, FSU & SC stepped up to the challenge, UConn had to schedule the likes of Chattanooga & Colgate, along with several P5 programs largely in rebuilding mode to fill out their schedule.
Wasn't the reason behind the Colgate game that Syracuse turned down the request for Stewie's "home" game and so Geno asked Colgate? Regardless, Quentin Hillman didn't want to face UConn while Stewie was playing but that idea didn't end well for him...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wasn't the reason behind the Colgate game that Syracuse turned down the request for Stewie's "home" game and so Geno asked Colgate? Regardless, Quentin Hillman didn't want to face UConn while Stewie was playing but that idea didn't end well for him...
I think it’s fair to say that Q didn’t want to face UConn regardless of who was on the court for the Huskies. But as far as the 2015-16 season, UConn was looking for a homecoming game for Stewie. Syracuse would have been a natural, that could have drawn a huge crowd at the Carrier Dome, along with a big national tv audience. Q wanted no part of it. Fortunately, Colgate stepped up, agreeing to play in a one-sided game they had no chance in.

Reaction Score
ND was a no and I think UNC was a no and Iowa is a no.
I really don't get it. If your team has aspiration of winning a championship, you should welcome the opportunity to play the team you might have to go through to do it.

Reaction Score
Which is sad. Top matchups are good for the game.

sun

Reaction Score
I really don't get it. If your team has aspiration of winning a championship, you should welcome the opportunity to play the team you might have to go through to do it.
It seems that there's 2 ways of looking at it.
If Scar becomes the overall #1 seed again by beating every other contender like they did last year, then why should they all want to contribute to that happening all over again?

On the other hand, if the contenders don't want to increase their own SOS by playing Scar, then they're the ones being hurt by not scheduling a game with them.
While beating Scar once would be a feat, beating them twice would be even tougher.
It sounds reasonable that some teams just don't want to push their luck by scheduling with them before they need to.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Which is sad. Top matchups are good for the game.
I believe that the Top schools (UConn, SoCar, and Stanford to name a few) believe that. I also believe that a lot of good schools would rather have a win instead of a potential Top matchup loss.
I sometimes wonder what would happen if UConn decided to stop playing Top matchup opponents and scheduled teams from the lower level of the SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC-12, etc. for their entire OOC schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom