OT: - Ryder Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Ryder Cup

Reaction Score
He has been ranked in the top 10 of the world every year end since 2009 (he turned pro in 2007)
That is ELITE to me
He’s that guy that will still have plenty mid to back half top ten finishes but was never really in contention for those tournaments. He’s for sure not someone I’m going to put my money on in a Ryder cup match. I hate it because I love the guy but he has not been elite for a while.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, USA needs 3.5 to win the cup. You would think that would be easy.
Weird thing is, look at the match ups.

Here's the order for today.

Schauffele McIlroy
Cantlay Lowry
Scheffler Rahm
DeChambeau Garcia
Morikawa Hovland
DJ Casey
Koepka Wiesberger
Finau Poulter
Thomas Hatton
English Westwood
Spieth Fleetwood
Berger Fitzpatrick

Give the US a big advantage in Koepka v Wiesberger, DJ over Casey. Give Rahm a big advantage over Scheffler.

You look at a bunch of the rest and would you be shocked to see Garcia beat DeChambeau? If Lee Westwood beats Harris English, no one is going to be shocked. Even Finau and Poulter. Should be all Finau but are you going to be surprised if Poulter comes out big on Sunday of a Ryder Cup? Schauffele is ranked higher than Rory but if Rory comes out and finally plays a good round, who is going to say you couldn't see that one coming?

Reaction Score

Schauffele McIlroy
Cantlay Lowry
Scheffler Rahm
DeChambeau Garcia
Morikawa Hovland
DJ Casey
Koepka Wiesberger
Finau Poulter
Thomas Hatton
English Westwood
Spieth Fleetwood
Berger Fitzpatrick

Give the US a big advantage in Koepka v Wiesberger, DJ over Casey. Give Rahm a big advantage over Scheffler.

You look at a bunch of the rest and would you be shocked to see Garcia beat DeChambeau? If Lee Westwood beats Harris English, no one is going to be shocked. Even Finau and Poulter. Should be all Finau but are you going to be surprised if Poulter comes out big on Sunday of a Ryder Cup? Schauffele is ranked higher than Rory but if Rory comes out and finally plays a good round, who is going to say you couldn't see that one coming?
Rahm is the only match where Europe is favored today. None of those matches would individually be surprising, but enough breaking Europe’s way would be very surprising. Out of DJ, Koepka, JT, English, and Cantlay, I’d be surprised to see Europe getting more than 2 points. There’s some pretty decent mismatches.

Reaction Score
That course is obviously tough without the wind and, as we saw Friday and yesterday, brutal when it blows. It surely is fun to watch these guys struggle with having to make something happen when their shots wind up lying in the deep rough and bunkers.

I am looking forward to a day of great competition and hopefully a Team USA victory!

PS - Did you know that a round of golf there costs $550 + Caddy Fee and tip? Simply amazing....

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Schauffele McIlroy
Cantlay Lowry
Scheffler Rahm
DeChambeau Garcia
Morikawa Hovland
DJ Casey
Koepka Wiesberger
Finau Poulter
Thomas Hatton
English Westwood
Spieth Fleetwood
Berger Fitzpatrick

10-6 has been overcome twice. Those came down to exceptional putting by the winners. 11-5 seems too much to me.

On paper, USA should win 10 of 12. That said, the only match where I'd bet the house is DJ over Casey. I'd probably bet half the house on Rahm over Scheffler.

Everything else is a tossup, IMO. The Euros have shown they can play with emotion, so it's hard to completely discount Lowry, Garcia or even Poulter, who somewhat surprisingly is still a great putter.

McIlroy, DeChambeau, Koepka, Finau, Thomas and Westwood are all capable of a great day or a disaster, and all of them have "choked" in the past year. I expect the matches I didn't mention to be of the 2&1 or 1-up variety. I think Morikawa v Hovland will likely be the best actual golf match of the day as both

My upset picks are Hovland over Morikawa and Weisberger over Koepka.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rahm is the only match where Europe is favored today. None of those matches would individually be surprising, but enough breaking Europe’s way would be very surprising. Out of DJ, Koepka, JT, English, and Cantlay, I’d be surprised to see Europe getting more than 2 points. There’s some pretty decent mismatches.

That is what I was getting at. Individually there's only a few "Wow! Never guessed that would happen." But the overall odds of one team running a train on the other is very low.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hovland Morikawa will be a ballstriking clinic

Yes. Difference is Morikawa is a much better putter and around the green scrambling. I like Hovland a lot. He had a couple of tourneys earlier this year where he had quad and triple bogeys and still finished top 10. When he gets hot, he's one of the guys where 58-59 is a doable number and they'd do it looking normal.

Reaction Score
That course is obviously tough without the wind and, as we saw Friday and yesterday, brutal when it blows. It surely is fun to watch these guys struggle with having to make something happen when their shots wind up lying in the deep rough and bunkers.

I am looking forward to a day of great competition and hopefully a Team USA victory!

PS - Did you know that a round of golf there costs $550 + Caddy Fee and tip? Simply amazing....
Owned by a real plumber, what rates did you expect?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Anyone ever played Kohler? There are 4 18 hole courses. At Whistling Straits there are the Straits course and Irish course. At Blackwolf Run there are the River course (36 holes) and the Meadow Valleys course. It's 2 and half hours from Chicago. I've never played there because I'm a high handicapper and all of the courses are extremely difficult. It's very expensive to play there but you can get some decent packages if you stay over at the Kohler lodge called the American Club.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes. Difference is Morikawa is a much better putter and around the green scrambling. I like Hovland a lot. He had a couple of tourneys earlier this year where he had quad and triple bogeys and still finished top 10. When he gets hot, he's one of the guys where 58-59 is a doable number and they'd do it looking normal.
Not sure what you're looking at to definitively say Collin is a better putter. In overall putting of the 196 players ranked for 2021, Hovland is 81st to Morikawa's 107. In strokes gained putting, Morikawa is 178 to Hovland's 99. Morikawa has an advantage in strokes gained around the green, but again, he's middle of the pack at 86 to Hovland's 124.

I mentioned that pairing in particular as I believe it'll have the fewest mistakes and likely won't swing more than a point either way throughout.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I heard English announcers tweaking the Euro Ryder Cup team during a couple of soccer matches yesterday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cantlay goes full hacker on 1st hole. Blades a wedge from 45 yards and runs it all the way past the green and down the slope.

Reaction Score
Euros off to a good start with Rory but will need a lot to win. Just heard Rory has the second most birdies on the PGA Tour this year behind Rahm. He is not winning majors but is still an awesome player

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anyone ever played Kohler? There are 4 18 hole courses. At Whistling Straits there are the Straits course and Irish course. At Blackwolf Run there are the River course (36 holes) and the Meadow Valleys course. It's 2 and half hours from Chicago. I've never played there because I'm a high handicapper and all of the courses are extremely difficult. It's very expensive to play there but you can get some decent packages if you stay over at the Kohler lodge called the American Club.
I'd love to, but it won't happen. Think I'm done walking 18 with my knees and at that price, I'd want a masseuse following me around, lol.

Funny thing about playing great courses with caddies in the US - bag weight limits. Whistling Straits is 25 lbs. I don't know if they have that yet in Europe, but when I played the Old Course, there were no restrictions I was aware of. I had the opportunity to play Baltusrol back in 2001 as our CEO was a member. I had to strip the bag down to only essentials, like 6 balls, no rain gear, no snacks, etc. And my caddie still managed to not find a ball of mine in short rough.

I remember when I caddied at CC Darien and Woodway, we had golfers with bags that could've shamed Al Czervik. Kids these days :p

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
BTW, Dye working this course to put all four of the Par 3's on Lake Michigan and have two face one direction and two the other direction is genius.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For those just getting acquainted with Cantlay the past month or so, he is supposed to be top 5 golfer in the world. His amateur record was almost perfect and shot a 60 as an amateur at a PGA tour 3cent at.........drumroll......TPC River Highlands.

He had some serious back issues which clipped him right as he was turning pro but should be in the conversation every tourny for next 15 years.

Reaction Score
I'd love to, but it won't happen. Think I'm done walking 18 with my knees and at that price, I'd want a masseuse following me around, lol.

Funny thing about playing great courses with caddies in the US - bag weight limits. Whistling Straits is 25 lbs. I don't know if they have that yet in Europe, but when I played the Old Course, there were no restrictions I was aware of. I had the opportunity to play Baltusrol back in 2001 as our CEO was a member. I had to strip the bag down to only essentials, like 6 balls, no rain gear, no snacks, etc. And my caddie still managed to not find a ball of mine in short rough.

I remember when I caddied at CC Darien and Woodway, we had golfers with bags that could've shamed Al Czervik. Kids these days :p
I caddied at Yale, carrying doubles on a great course built for mountain goats. Would now be an effort to walk 18 carrying nothing but a putter.

Reaction Score
NBC must be ratings nervous. If this wraps up early point wise (at least in the past) the remaining matches pick up and head in for a drink, no golf left to watch.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NBC must be ratings nervous. If this wraps up early point wise (at least in the past) the remaining matches pick up and head in for a drink, no golf left to watch.

Once NFL games start any ratings NBC can get is gravy.

I love golf as much anyone but NFL will eat away at NBC and golf regardless of drama.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not much of a gambler. Don't have an online account nor know a bookie these days. Big change since I used to run slips in college and bet a lot on college games.

Anyway, Rahm's not done yet.

No he is not.

I became a Scheffler believer at WGC match play earlier this year when Scheffler took out Poulter and Rahm on same day.

Two years on the tour and he already has top 10's in every major.

USA is stacked for next decade- Scheffler, Morikawa, Schauffele, Koepka, DeChambeau, Spieth, Thomas, Finau, Cantlay are all good for next decade-. DJ still has another 6-8 years of these cups.

Say goodbye to Simpson, Kuchar and Reed unless they force automatically qualifying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom