Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will need extra scholarships next year. You think the PR gets any better when you Process the kid after a season or 2? That's even worse, IMO.
I agree..then you get the label from the HS coach as being "the guy who screwed my kid over and you are a lying duckk. I will NEVER send one of my kids there EVER again". Damned if you do..more damned if you don't.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
We won't need extra scholarships next year. We currently have over 20 seniors on the roster. Before even looking at who leaves or is driven out after spring practice.

Maybe we greyshirt people and take extras, maybe kids that liked Diaco transfer after getting yelled at...who knows. You don't just go handing out scholarships to unqualified kids. Period.

Reaction Score
It's not like we're short on scholarships. You put him on specials as a freshmen and could throw him on the RB pile and see if he surprises. If he doesn't fit he would probably be gone in a couple of years anyhow. Hey, the kid committed to us. And I have heard the Edsall guilt trip laid on commits before. The whole "if you commit to is you don't talk to anyone else" thing. That's what Edsall expects. Sad story.
You live in La La land. Every scholarship is valuable. You don't take a flyer on someone if you're convinced the kid can't play at this level. Need to be strategic with all offers and that includes not using all of them in a given year if the right fit isn't out there

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Maybe our BCU friends can tell us about "committable offers" again.

Reaction Score
Maybe we greyshirt people and take extras, maybe kids that liked Diaco transfer after getting yelled at...who knows. You don't just go handing out scholarships to unqualified kids. Period.

LOL. No, I agree there is no reason to hand out scholarships to kids who aren't going to help us. I was only pointing out that needing them for '18 recruiting is really not one of them, as we will probably end this season with less than 60 returning scholarship players anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You realize he can't say that, right? He can not talk about recruits except for those who sign papers with UConn.
Yep, but I brain farted on it until @Jax Husky pointed it out. So the revised version is:

"That's always a tough phone to call to make. As you know I can't speak about specific individuals. When we looked at the things we feel we need to do at Connecticut to be successful on the field, and not everyone was going to be a good fit. It would be unfair at that point to have a young man come down here when we really didn't have a place for him to help us. So we wanted to give everyone as much notice as we could so that he could find a place to succeed. "​

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Edsall was wrong to do this because he told him his scholarship was safe.

"Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe, his parents said."

Then he sent his lb coach to NJ tell him he still had a scholarship

"UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley even met with Dickens at Raritan Thursday to talk about signing day and his upcoming visit to UConn on Jan. 20"

and then three days later he tells him he doesn't have a scholarship.

Once you give your word you keep it. Period. End of story.

What this sounds to me is that Edsall has some other players at this position possibly locked up for the upcoming class that may rate higher or have what he is looking for. I would have to say that if he doesn't bring anyone in that fits this position or we leave scholarships open then it was his first PR blow since coming here. Kid could have been practice squad and left after the year.

Regardless of how bad this press is... he wasn't brought in to be nice. He was brought back to change this program around.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller: Ramblings from The Runway: Not exactly great PR for new UConn staff. (worth the read but here's a snippet)

>>This is not a good look for UConn. First of all, since Dickens is not signed, there's nothing UConn can say on the record to refute this report. I know this happens in recruiting. I just saw a tweet that said there were 189 football decommits last January. Still, it's a part of the recruiting process that is hard to deal with and harder to defend regardless of how often it happens. My hope is that Dickens (who tweeted that he was offered by URI) and Byczko land on their feet and have a great four or five years of college both on and off the field.

I also get the other side of the story. Randy Edsall is trying to salvage this recruiting class and improve the talent level of a program coming off a 3-9 season. There was already a perception that Bob Diaco's staff weren't the best at identifying talent (although one UConn decommit started as a redshirt freshman at South Florida and another one recently was offered by Baylor). Edsall and his staff do have the right to look at the players who committed to UConn when Diaco was running things and determine that those players either don't fit the scheme or don't have the talent or aren't as good of a fit as other players the Huskies are recruiting. There's not a painless way to navigate through this process especially when a coaching hire is made in late December and the staff is being finalized as the open recruiting period gets underway. Certainly this is not exactly the kind of press the UConn program is looking for especially with some national media types posting about it on social media. Ten years ago something like this would generate a little initial attention that would quickly subside. In this age of social media and blogs, the heat on UConn figures to be more sustained and more intense.<<

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Well ain't that the Dickens.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Yep, but I brain farted on it until @Jax Husky pointed it out. So the revised version is:

"That's always a tough phone to call to make. As you know I can't speak about specific individuals. When we looked at the things we feel we need to do at Connecticut to be successful on the field, and not everyone was going to be a good fit. It would be unfair at that point to have a young man come down here when we really didn't have a place for him to help us. So we wanted to give everyone as much notice as we could so that he could find a place to succeed. "​

Yes, that would likely be the nice response he would give. All the while, the family and media runs him down, while he bites his tongue from saying, "look, the kid is 200lbs and runs a 5.0 forty. He's not nearly the talent or skillset we need to win."

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller: Ramblings from The Runway: Not exactly great PR for new UConn staff. (worth the read but here's a snippet)

>>This is not a good look for UConn. First of all, since Dickens is not signed, there's nothing UConn can say on the record to refute this report. I know this happens in recruiting. I just saw a tweet that said there were 189 football decommits last January. Still, it's a part of the recruiting process that is hard to deal with and harder to defend regardless of how often it happens. My hope is that Dickens (who tweeted that he was offered by URI) and Byczko land on their feet and have a great four or five years of college both on and off the field.

I also get the other side of the story. Randy Edsall is trying to salvage this recruiting class and improve the talent level of a program coming off a 3-9 season. There was already a perception that Bob Diaco's staff weren't the best at identifying talent (although one UConn decommit started as a redshirt freshman at South Florida and another one recently was offered by Baylor). Edsall and his staff do have the right to look at the players who committed to UConn when Diaco was running things and determine that those players either don't fit the scheme or don't have the talent or aren't as good of a fit as other players the Huskies are recruiting. There's not a painless way to navigate through this process especially when a coaching hire is made in late December and the staff is being finalized as the open recruiting period gets underway. Certainly this is not exactly the kind of press the UConn program is looking for especially with some national media types posting about it on social media. Ten years ago something like this would generate a little initial attention that would quickly subside. In this age of social media and blogs, the heat on UConn figures to be more sustained and more intense.<<

Perfectly balanced and well thought out take. Fuller and the REgister have moved so far ahead of the Courant on UConn football that it's sad.

Reaction Score
Perfectly balanced and well thought out take. Fuller and the REgister have moved so far ahead of the Courant on UConn football that it's sad.

Yup... Fuller does a great job considering his double duty covering UConn WBB (even if his blogging grammar makes some here cringe).

Reaction Score
I understand why the parents are pi$$ed. If this had happened to any of the posters here, you would be angry too. Based on the little I know, it appears we should have honored the offer and figured it out later.

Reaction Score
This is on Diaco for offering kids who were clearly FCS level players.

-ing Diaco.
Bingo. Part of the process of cleaning up Diaco's mess is making some tough decisions about incoming recruits. This is a kid who MONMOUTH can't find a spot for and he's supposed to be playing for a FBS school? He only gets late interest from URI? I feel for him, and hope he succeeds wherever he ends up. I hope RE handled the situation well, and the story about getting a call on New Years saying the scholarship was still his is a bit concerning, but this is sausage-making. It appears at some level he got a scholarship offer from Diaco that his play may not have merited.

Reaction Score
First there is no good way to say we don't want your son in our program. We were hired to improve the level of playing at State U and unfortunately you are not part of it. This is the business we are in as quoted from the Godfather. As a taxpayer I don't want the state at any level to pay upwards of $20,000 per year because I'm a nice guy.

Reaction Score

SB Nation: It seems that each January, we hear another story about a high school football recruit claiming a college football head coach pulled his scholarship shortly before Signing Day. The latest? Apparently new UConn head coach Randy Edsall.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
And local high school coaches. And every school recruiting against us . . .
Every school recruiting against us has done this. Every one.

Other than the kid's own HS coach, I highly doubt any of them will really hold this against us.

Reaction Score
I still think this was a favor to the family or something, someone knew someone who knows someone

Look at the picture of the kid, he looks smaller than the kickers
I had the same thought, that kid does not have the body of a FBS linebacker. Which begs another point, nowhere in the NJ article or anywhere else was there any question of if UConn offered him a walk-on spot at a different position or any other kind of contingency that would still allow him to play here. It may not have happened, but it'd be good journalism to ask the question of the family and write the response.

Reaction Score
Every school recruiting against us has done this. Every one.

Other than the kid's own HS coach, I highly doubt any of them will really hold this against us.
Yep, and it's especially well known among all high school coaches that this kind of thing happens when there's a coaching change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom