Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
God — Greenberg is another bleeding-heart pencilneck. What a predictable, soap-box overreaction while he simultaneously chokes on Alabama's c••k like the rest of ESPN. Like I wasn't already disgusted with that hypocritical network as it is...

The sentiment I'm getting it's okay when major programs do it.

Harbaugh gets maybe a finger wag, while Edsall and UConn get eviscerated nationally as if they're the first known school to do this. Pots calling the kettle black. Bastards...
In fairness to Greenberg, after he shredded Edsall he said something like "well, it's really more about the system that allows this to happen."

Reaction Score
$6m in Lincoln, NE should get him a decent piece of property. Good Lord.
and a huge walk in closet to fit all those pairs of skinny jeans
25389BBF00000578-2934442-image-m-39_1422725857224.jpg

Reaction Score
According to Rivals, Michigan has 27 commits, they can only sign 25 correct? Looks like Michigan will be pulling some scholarships from recruits, I can't wait until this happens. It's inevitable

Tennessee has 27 recruits committed
Texas A&M has 26 recruits committed
Maryland has 28 recruits committed

Reaction Score
In fairness to Greenberg, after he shredded Edsall he said something like "well, it's really more about the system that allows this to happen."

Yeah, I admittedly jumped the gun on Greenberg. The tweet alone looked like he hopped on the outrage bandwagon. The clip at least shows he called out the entire system. But there has been a lot of scathing coverage for UConn surrounding this incident.

Reaction Score
I only mentioned "liberalism" within the context that it's a perpetual mind state, particularly within this region, that is reinforced by mainstream networks and hyperbolic, agenda-driven narratives in order to appeal to certain audiences (which this story is being used for) — and frankly ESPN is no different. That's not particularly, untrue is it? Defensive much?

Take it to the Cesspool board. I don't want to read about someone's perception of "liberalism" here.

Reaction Score
I really don't think we are going to hear anything from HCRE on this one. You can't polish a turd and this situation is a turd. It's a really unfortunate circumstance for the young man and I really don't think this is something HCRE was happy about doing or was looking forward to doing. It sounds like the new D-Coord probably said, this isn't going to work with this recruit and then the decision had to be made of "who is going to be the bad guy?" It's not like HCRE is going to throw his new DC under the bus so that he can come out looking like a golden boy. Part of being a HC or leader of a business means having to deal with things like these sometimes and I think HCRE knows it's better to take this one on the chin and look like the bad guy and get this train going in a different direction and move on than to try and divert blame to others and derail the sucker before it even gets going.

The article makes it sound like the kid got a call from RE and he said.. hey, you're not coming anymore, see ya kid. I'm sure the reality is it was just as uncomfortable for RE as it was for the recruit, but the call had to be made and hopefully the kid will realize while it sucks now, if he really has aspirations of playing college football, this call probably just saved him a couple years of heart ache and wasted time. It's like the quote in Moneyball.. Would you rather take one to the brain or three to the chest?

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree with this more. First, this story will have played out totally by tonight. If you start fighting back, you just extend it.

Secondly, your first sentence of what you want said is wrong. The University is rescinding a promise of a scholarship. Just one made by Diaco. But in a non athletics context, the University can't fail to pay a contractor that did work for a project favored by the former provost, and not the current one. You want to fight a war that isn't winnable, because from the outside the system does look like it treats athletes incredibly unfairly.

Third and finally, if you make that kind of general statement, what do you do when Colin Mcenroe or whatever other schmuck says "So are you calling the Fitton parents liars?" You are setting yourself up for further questions you won't be able to answer and are pretending that you can control the dialogue when you can't.

Sometimes in life, you have to take injustices, smile and move on. This is one of those times.

I worded the rescinded scholarship comment wrong. Essentilly meant to say Edsall never promised the player that the Diaco offered scholarship is assured.

I feel that UConn should have defended themselves right off the bat which would not have extended the story in theory. IF the story has a short shelf life a general statement will not extend the story and it will give pause to the perception that has now surrounded the program.

If UConn did not make a promise to the kid and his parents are not being truthful then yes they should be called out. Perhaps UConn can't prove it perhaps they can. Do you recall Benedict saying there are 2 sides to every story when the kid dumped us for Temple.
Did you feel he should not have said that. It also suggested that family was not being truthful

Reaction Score

Here are two articles written by a Chicago Tribune Sportswriter about Harbaugh's actions last season regarding pulling the scholly to Erik Swenson. The second article deals with the reaction to his original article. Harbaugh, and Michigan's recruiting strategy, is what Finebaum said he didn't really have a problem with. Just a complete double-standard!

Ethics no obstacle to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh dumping verbal commits

9 more thoughts on the Jim Harbaugh recruiting issue

There are more articles which seem to back up the case that Harbaugh is over-recruiting by design and knows that some will not progress as expected or get injured and no longer merit a scholly. So he just throws them "overboard". And THIS is what Finebaum has no problem with.... compared to what HCRE allegedly did?!? Wow! It sounds like it's Finebaum who is morally bankrupt!

Reaction Score
More UConn discussion on ESPN, maybe they should have let the kid come and then quietly pushed him out assuming he can't play at this level

I doubt they thought it'd become a national story obviously

I think Calapari did this @ UK and next year they have 5 top 25 kids.....double standards abound

Reaction Score
Can't believe this case hasn't come up yet, or maybe I just missed it, it's one we were on the other side of....the case of Tim Boyle! He was offered by BCU and Steve Addazio. SA recruited him, committed to him, then pulled the offer, saying only that they were going to go in another direction. This wasn't someone else's offer, nor was there an injury, Addazio just wanted to go in another direction. Where was the outrage from Finebaum, Greenberg and ESPN?? I don't remember hearing much...if any reaction at all..not any!

Reaction Score
I worded the rescinded scholarship comment wrong. Essentilly meant to say Edsall never promised the player that the Diaco offered scholarship is assured.

I feel that UConn should have defended themselves right off the bat which would not have extended the story in theory. IF the story has a short shelf life a general statement will not extend the story and it will give pause to the perception that has now surrounded the program.

If UConn did not make a promise to the kid and his parents are not being truthful then yes they should be called out. Perhaps UConn can't prove it perhaps they can. Do you recall Benedict saying there are 2 sides to every story when the kid dumped us for Temple.
Did you feel he should not have said that. It also suggested that family was not being truthful

This is definitely a huge black eye for Uconn. Especially if the kid was called on January 1st and confirmed his offer. The NCAA should take a look and change the signing periods. They should have an early signing period, which would help the smaller schools from loosing recruits to the top football schools at last moment. It would benefit the kids just as much. But crooked NCAA will not change it because the top football schools would not like it.

Reaction Score
More UConn discussion on ESPN...

Much more balanced discussion w/ Golic Jr and Luginbill. Luginbill did a fair job explaining the situation coaches face, how they are @ disadvantage not being able to discuss what happened. Need to find CFB Live link of broadcast.

Reaction Score
The NCAA should take a look and change the signing periods. They should have an early signing period, which would help the smaller schools from loosing recruits to the top football schools at last moment. It would benefit the kids just as much. But crooked NCAA will not change it because the top football schools would not like it.

Vote to change is in April and seems likely to pass by all reports.

DI Football Oversight Committee modifies recruiting package

>>An early signing period in college football is one step closer to a vote. The Division I Football Oversight Committee on Tuesday recommended modifications to its comprehensive recruiting package proposal at the NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tennessee, moving it closer to a final vote by the Division I Council. The Council could vote on it as early as April. In the latest package, the Football Oversight Committee maintained its support for a mid-December early signing date that would last for 72 hours and is also the first time junior college players can sign a National Letter of Intent.<<

Reaction Score
Can't believe this case hasn't come up yet, or maybe I just missed it, it's one we were on the other side of....the case of Tim Boyle! He was offered by BCU and Steve Addazio. SA recruited him, committed to him, then pulled the offer, saying only that they were going to go in another direction. This wasn't someone else's offer, nor was there an injury, Addazio just wanted to go in another direction. Where was the outrage from Finebaum, Greenberg and ESPN?? I don't remember hearing much...if any reaction at all..not any!

Boyle's parents and Marinan handled the situation the right way. Didn't go to the press like whiney little .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You hire a snake like Edsall the result is entirely predictable when he does something snaky, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. I was hoping he he'd learned something and didn't make antagonizing the recruiting base Job 1 this time. Alas.

Reaction Score
Guy presented a very fair view of the system. UConn just happens to be the latest to contribute to the parade of horribles. The NCAA needs to gets some backbone and start protecting student athletes and also leveling the playing field for the good of the game. This garbage starts with allowing big schools and conferences to bully their way and paint their own rules. Harbaugh is a classic scum bag who does not represent that spirit of college football. Purposely overcommitting on recruits and then dumping them. Satellite camps during spring vacation. Signing freshman high school kids to commits. Oregon kids getting run into the ground and hospitalized over winter break. An exclusive conference consortia for bowls. Media outlets paying off conferences not to expand their membership.

No, this is not what playing for higher education is about.

Meanwhile, the NCAA is auditing how many rolls of quarters kids get to do their wash.

Reaction Score
Guy presented a very fair view of the system. UConn just happens to be the latest to contribute to the parade of horribles. The NCAA needs to gets some backbone and start protecting student athletes and also leveling the playing field for the good of the game. This garbage starts with allowing big schools and conferences to bully their way and paint their own rules. Harbaugh is a classic scum bag who does not represent that spirit of college football. Purposely overcommitting on recruits and then dumping them. Satellite camps during spring vacation. Signing freshman high school kids to commits. Oregon kids getting run into the ground and hospitalized over winter break. An exclusive conference consortia for bowls. Media outlets paying off conferences not to expand their membership.

No, this is not what playing for higher education is about.

Meanwhile, the NCAA is auditing how many rolls of quarters kids get to do their wash.
The original spirit of college athletics was lost long ago. It was intended just for fitness. Once the Ivies got rolling, that changed things. Now they are aiming for super-humanism.

Reaction Score
You just know when the new rule passes, Emmert will make sure it is referenced as the "UConn Rule" or "Edsall Rule".

God do I despise ESPN. Helps to break apart the Big East and continues to Sh__ down our throats years later every chance they get. And they're squatting on our turf and getting tax breaks while doing it.

Reaction Score
Are you capable of posting a comment that does not end on an unrelated, barely coherent tangent?
Um, he was stating the spirit of college athletics is lost (in Harbaugh) and instead, athletes (Oregon?) are overworked in workouts these days. Do you have comprehension skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom