Ryan Braun and our APR case | The Boneyard

Ryan Braun and our APR case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ryan Braun won his appeal yesterday, not because he denied having taken illegal drugs, but because the chain of custody for his failed test results was broken. By the letter of the law, his failed test was invalid because it could not be proven that it wasn't tampered with during the time it was in the wrong hands. As one of the most basic standards in this country, this would apply to any evidence submitted for any case being tried in a court of law. Major League Baseball, as the governing body in this case, could not enforce their penalties on Ryan Braun because they (or the third party administering the test) did not follow basic principles of the law.

I am not a lawyer, but I'd like to know the difference between Braun's case and our APR case. The governing body, the NCAA, is not applying the APR punishments according to the letter of the law. I know that we are appealing to an NCAA sub-committee rather than a third party so this argument assuredly would fall on deaf ears. But I've also heard people say that we have no basis for taking this to a court of law - why not?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with the law, but the rules of the collective bargaining agreement between the player's union and MLB. If the universities and players were protected by a union, I guarantee this nonsense with us missing the tournament never would have happened. Instead, the NCAA is like a dictator, passing judgment over whatever they feel hurts their brand (or ego).

Reaction Score
Just saw Braun's news conference and I may be in the minority but I fully believe him. His sample was taken home by a part time delivery guy and left on a desk for 44 hours before delivered by FEDEX. Not only that but Braun wanted to have the sample DNA tested to even make sure it was his and MLB said no thank you. I bet they interchanged it with another sample, because the guy had 25 clean tests done and 3 that year. Tests can be up no doubt, there's plenty of incompetence to go around. I don't think his case relates to them changing the rules on our APR after the fact because I don't think Braun was singled out the way we were, he was just unlucky.

Reaction Score
Sorry but he looked and sounded to me like Palmeiro in front of the Senate committee.....for his sake he better not ba .270 with 20 hrs and 80 rbi......yet another chearting mvp

Reaction Score
Just saw Braun's news conference and I may be in the minority but I fully believe him. His sample was taken home by a part time delivery guy and left on a desk for 44 hours before delivered by FEDEX. Not only that but Braun wanted to have the sample DNA tested to even make sure it was his and MLB said no thank you. I bet they interchanged it with another sample, because the guy had 25 clean tests done and 3 that year. Tests can be up no doubt, there's plenty of incompetence to go around. I don't think his case relates to them changing the rules on our APR after the fact because I don't think Braun was singled out the way we were, he was just unlucky.

Also they said the levels where something like more then double of what they have ever seen before that makes it look like it may have been tampered with. Also, he hasn't gained a pound or any strength and that doesn't add up.

Reaction Score
Actually, I
Also they said the levels where something like more then double of what they have ever seen before that makes it look like it may have been tampered with. Also, he hasn't gained a pound or any strength and that doesn't add up.
thought they said the level was 3 times what they had seen before. All I can say is that I have had blood tests where one of the numbers was out of whack, been retested and had it come back normal. We will never know but I bet he has a good season.

Reaction Score
I like drugs in baseball, it is a much better product. I can care less what the player does as long as they want to perform at their very best. Dopers are trying their very best, therefore I give them credit. Earn your money boys!

Reaction Score
I like drugs in baseball, it is a much better product. I can care less what the player does as long as they want to perform at their very best. Dopers are trying their very best, therefore I give them credit. Earn your money boys!
Do we want to encourage high school kids who may not make the pros to take all sorts of drugs to mess with their body chemistry even if they don't make the big leagues?

It may make MLB more fun, but it would introduce (exacerbate) all sorts of issues to the lower levels. As soon as it becomes okay for MLB players to use steroids, HS will be encouraged to do so.

Reaction Score
Do we want to encourage high school kids who may not make the pros to take all sorts of drugs to mess with their body chemistry even if they don't make the big leagues?

It may make MLB more fun, but it would introduce (exacerbate) all sorts of issues to the lower levels. As soon as it becomes okay for MLB players to use steroids, HS will be encouraged to do so.

To be completely honest, as someone who graduated high school 5 years ago and played football in the FCIAC... various forms of steroids are already rampant among high schoolers. Whether it is oral or injection, many many individuals take them (at least for football). I know some towns in which nearly every starter on the team was juicing (not speculation, but known through friends on the opposing teams). Not saying EVERY high school is like that... but I'd say about a dozen or so individuals (very possibly more), out of a team with ~50 players, took some form of steroid during my junior/senior years. And my school was not even bad about it compared to many others... seriously.

It's really sad to be honest... kids that haven't even finished puberty are taking testosterone and completely messing with one of the most important times in their life in terms of body development.

Neither here nor there, but kids will do what they're going to do regardless of whether the MLB players juice up behind the scenes. Especially considering I wouldn't ever imagine that it would be publicly broadcast who is doing it, but rather a "out of sight out of mind" type scenario.... IF that scenario were to happen (which it never will IMO).

Reaction Score
I'm not going to suggest it doesn't happen, but I think there is a difference between 1) People do it, but its illegal and you can get in serious trouble for it, and 2) Standard operating procedure.

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and Braun was certainly adament in his innocence but the fact is he flunked the drug test.I'm in the guilty as charged group and take no joy in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom