Rutgers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers

Reaction Score
And, in irony, one might say that the plan was Tranghese's.

The ACC took some Big East programs for football....and Tranghese suggested much the same in 1997.

Big East Conference Commissioner Mike Tranghese, who publicly scolded Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford last month for talking to Big East schools about expansion, first explored the possibility with the ACC as early as 1997.

Sources said Tranghese had conversations with Gene Corrigan, then commissioner of the ACC, about several possibilities. Most prominent was the merging of the two conferences for football.

A year later, after Swofford had replaced Corrigan as the ACC's commissioner, Tranghese initiated a meeting at the Atlanta airport to explore the possibility again. At that time, he was concerned about the Big Ten raiding the Big East.

Swofford, Florida State Athletic Director Dave Hart and then-North Carolina State Athletic Director Les Robinson represented the ACC. Tranghese, Miami Athletic Director Paul Dee and Syracuse Athletic Director Jake Crouthamel represented the Big East.

"The idea of expansion or some type of merger was there before 1998," Dee said. "It was nothing new when it came up this time. In 1998, the conversation was about an attempt to get the leagues together for football."

The Atlanta meeting was a fact-finding session, according to Robinson. The ACC, which had admitted Florida State in 1991, couldn't get the seven votes required for more expansion when a straw vote was taken.

"When I see what is happening now," Robinson said, "I have to believe the 1998 meeting was one of the preliminary steps in leading the situation to where it is. Miami definitely had some interest, and Syracuse was listening intently."

Robinson said the ACC did case studies on Miami, Syracuse and Boston College, the three schools with a chance to move now, and Tranghese was aware they were done. He also said several ideas were discussed from a complete merger of schools that played football to the move of only a few schools with Miami, Syracuse and Boston College the most prominently discussed.

When the straw vote failed, primarily because of basketball, the issue appeared to die. In Robinson's mind, UM was open-minded then, so he isn't surprised the issue has new life and the 'Canes are involved.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the ACC was worried about the B1G grabbing UConn, they would have acted... they haven't.
The B1G got EXACTLY what they wanted with Rutgers. Delaney and Co. are laughing all the way to the bank. The cherry on top is they managed to get into the NYC market with a team that will never threaten the athletic hierarchy of the B1G's old guard. There is not a single regret in Chicago about this.
Agree with everything except the last sentence.

Playing Rutgers is like getting a colonoscopy. You do it because it is necessary but no one looks forward to it.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The ACC had solid reasons for who they took....not bettering the world, but solidifying the ACC.

They were a nine team league looking to a future where they would be fighting to stay relevant as a BCS league. Swofford knew that one of the Big East or the ACC might not survive. He did what any league would want their leadership to do. He built up the conference so that improved media contracts could be negotiated, and, eventually, a conference network established.

The ACC was a basketball first league and the changes in media value snuck up on them. Swofford realized that it was football that generated the majority of media dollars and he had to plan to change the direction of the conference.

The ACC first looked to Miami, who (with Shalala's insistence) wanted Syracuse as a price to move. While this was initially agreed upon, Virginia politics held the ACC expansion hostage for the ransom of adding VT.

Adding Syracuse at the next opportunity was the price of adding Miami.

Pitt had a special relationship with Notre Dame, having played them since 1930 (67 games). With the ACC's intent to lure Notre Dame into a relationship, adding Pitt was a strategic move.

The move of Notre Dame and their scheduling contract improved the media look in and enhanced the chance of a network.

Swofford had a plan to make sure that the conference would continue to compete. He executed that plan and the conference is much better off for it. That is all you can ask of leadership.

The Cliff Notes version is you took Syracuse to get Miami and Pitt to get ND basketball.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: UConn was screwed by FSU and BC. That fact has not changed.

Reaction Score
Best part is they traded a great research university to get Louisville

Reaction Score
And, in irony, one might say that the plan was Tranghese's.

The ACC took some Big East programs for football....and Tranghese suggested much the same in 1997.

Big East Conference Commissioner Mike Tranghese, who publicly scolded Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford last month for talking to Big East schools about expansion, first explored the possibility with the ACC as early as 1997.

Sources said Tranghese had conversations with Gene Corrigan, then commissioner of the ACC, about several possibilities. Most prominent was the merging of the two conferences for football.

A year later, after Swofford had replaced Corrigan as the ACC's commissioner, Tranghese initiated a meeting at the Atlanta airport to explore the possibility again. At that time, he was concerned about the Big Ten raiding the Big East.

Swofford, Florida State Athletic Director Dave Hart and then-North Carolina State Athletic Director Les Robinson represented the ACC. Tranghese, Miami Athletic Director Paul Dee and Syracuse Athletic Director Jake Crouthamel represented the Big East.

"The idea of expansion or some type of merger was there before 1998," Dee said. "It was nothing new when it came up this time. In 1998, the conversation was about an attempt to get the leagues together for football."

The Atlanta meeting was a fact-finding session, according to Robinson. The ACC, which had admitted Florida State in 1991, couldn't get the seven votes required for more expansion when a straw vote was taken.

"When I see what is happening now," Robinson said, "I have to believe the 1998 meeting was one of the preliminary steps in leading the situation to where it is. Miami definitely had some interest, and Syracuse was listening intently."

Robinson said the ACC did case studies on Miami, Syracuse and Boston College, the three schools with a chance to move now, and Tranghese was aware they were done. He also said several ideas were discussed from a complete merger of schools that played football to the move of only a few schools with Miami, Syracuse and Boston College the most prominently discussed.

When the straw vote failed, primarily because of basketball, the issue appeared to die. In Robinson's mind, UM was open-minded then, so he isn't surprised the issue has new life and the 'Canes are involved.

Tranghese was fighting a losing battle before he sat down at the bargaining table. What killed the Big East and Tranghese's efforts to save the conference was the fact that back in those days the Providence College Athletic Dept and Dave Gavitt basically ran the entire Big East Conference, and unfortunately that school did not and still does not have an FBS football team, and doesn't intend to in the future. Tranghese couldn't take a dump back in those days without permission from Dave. It wasn't that they (the original founding basketball only Catholic schools) didn't see what was coming, they did but didn't care one bit. So a merger with the ACC to save both conferences and create a strong football league was impossible.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Agree with everything except the last sentence.

Playing Rutgers is like getting a colonoscopy. You do it because it is necessary but no one looks forward to it.

Gotta have some cupcakes now and again and right now it's Rutgers turn.

Rutgers has the potential to become a good program in the long run. I'm not holding my breath, but if they find the right coach that is willing to stay, they will be very good. Not sure if Ash is the right guy, though. His players quit on him several times last year and that is a big red flag for me.

Reaction Score
Gotta have some cupcakes now and again and right now it's Rutgers turn.

Rutgers has the potential to become a good program in the long run. I'm not holding my breath, but if they find the right coach that is willing to stay, they will be very good. Not sure if Ash is the right guy, though. His players quit on him several times last year and that is a big red flag for me.

Yes, we were in a conference with Rutgers. We know all about their potential. They are so close.

Reaction Score
The Cliff Notes version is you took Syracuse to get Miami and Pitt to get ND basketball.

Yes....

And...to go from being talked about as on a death bed to be discussed as one of the most successful athletic conferences.....to solidify a GOR, a new media contract with ESPN, etc.

Means to an end.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Yes....

And...to go from being talked about as on a death bed to be discussed as one of the most successful athletic conferences.....to solidify a GOR, a new media contract with ESPN, etc.

Means to an end.

That's my point. So was Rutgers.

I'm not ecstatic about Rutgers in the Big10, but I know their purpose. Sometimes you have to look past the warts if someone offers something of value.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's my point. So was Rutgers.

I'm not ecstatic about Rutgers in the Big10, but I know their purpose. Sometimes you have to look past the warts if someone offers something of value.

As it has been previously stated - Rutty is a perfect add in many respects + cable boxes, major media market, rich recruiting grounds, alumni traction, not going to compete with the established schools.

Reaction Score
As it has been previously stated - Rutty is a perfect add in many respects + cable boxes, major media market, rich recruiting grounds, alumni traction, not going to compete with the established schools.
Maybe a slightly positive add from a strictly business side of things but from an athletics standpoint is was the absolute worse of the worse. If I'm a commissioner I want new schools to be winners regardless of how it affects the established schools.

Reaction Score
Yes, we were in a conference with Rutgers. We know all about their potential. They are so close.
Rutgers... continuously almost turning the corner.
3513138577_1f15b7a85b_z.jpg

Reaction Score
The cable box scenario is exactly right regarding Rutgers. The B1G network is a static addition to subscribers' bills and the conference gets tons of money due to the addition of the boxes. Ad revenue is squat. For those not familiar with the NYC metro market, college sports is an event driven proposition; a UConn - 'Cuse matchup at The Garden or NCAA regionals there .... the Big East etc. St. John's is a pimple. There is no college football and relative to other markets, NYC ratings always under perform the rest of the country on college football Saturdays. New York (and Boston for that matter) are pro sports towns - have been and will be. So unfortunately for UConn and our fans, Rutty was a far better sports revenue option than UConn from a cable box standpoint simply by virtue of subscriber (box) numbers.

And like it or not, Rutgers is a pretty good school with a longer tradition and AAU accreditation for those on the academic side of the decision process.

As for expansion, as has been expressed here before, Hartford compares with markets such as Cincinnati and our Fairfield County viewers (New York DMA/metro) would be a fine northern add of cable boxes for B1G network. IDK ... maybe a prayer.

But please God, we have to learn that whole football thing.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a bead on the last time RU was ranked #1 in anything?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers has the potential to become a good program in the long run.

lol.

It shouldn't take more than another century or two. Good luck.

Reaction Score
Belichick's son Steve played lax there from '08 to '11. Saw the 2 of them in New Bumfus at a bar having burgers and beer. Bill wearing an R red hoodie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom