RUTGERS MICHIGAN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RUTGERS MICHIGAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is EXCELLENT for UConn. There's no way this is bad for us.

Absolutely Butch...
Delaney had admiitted wanting to venture further in the eastern marletplace. This could bode well for us that UCONN, excepting this rebuilding year
has had the most national champs in the last 15 years-boding well for the B1G network. Yes, our product in football is down. Everyone knows it. Rutgers beating
Michigan and last year's fiasco at the Rent still, IMO reflects favorably on us.

Of course, we know football is the driving factor. But the B1G record in women's sports, i.e. national recognition, is abysmal. Adding UCONN woman to the B1G ten
adds eyeballs to the network, hence our positioning on SNY, HOME OF THE HUSKIES. Remember, you build a Company either from within or by acquisition.

Beating Michigan State at the Garden didn't hurt either. Neither does having a Michigan grad at the helm of the athletic department. Further, we have cracked top 20
as a state research university and, if you have followed, Dr. Herbst (recently took in her alumni gathering in Boston), we have a shot at moving into the top fifteen
in the country on our present path.

So, it is not one just item for inclusion. BUT having Rutgers beat Michigan, adds more fuel and helps UCONN when it comes to consideration given our recent successes
in beating Rutgers along.... with many other afroementioned attributes.

Reaction Score
They did an interview with Delany. I think, from what I heard, that they are not done expanding east. He mentioned going east many times during that short segment.

Link?

Reaction Score
You would have had to watch the game.

Thanks, I was hoping to read or hear the words straight from the horse's mouth.

Of course, Delany could have stared at the camera and said, "our next target has the best basketball program(s) in the nation and more players in the NFL than Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Arizona, Syracuse, Kentucky, Washington, TCU, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Indiana, Colorado, BYU, Duke, Kansas and Washington State" and I still wouldn't have believed him.

Reaction Score
During Rutgers/MD, Delaney talked about going south and east but it was only in the context of the reason Rutty and Maryland were added. He didn't say they weren't done expanding but he said the population is south and east about 20 times. I definitely felt that he was selling the fan base on why they needed to be south and east.

The only hint I gleaned that they aren't done expanding was when he continued to beat south and east to death when he'd already done it more than enough. I'm pretty sure he was prepping the fan base for more change. Any likely edition other than UConn would be very south (VA, NC, GA, FL) and southern in culture. So hopefully, we are the "east" he is referring to.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
They did an interview with Delany. I think, from what I heard, that they are not done expanding east. He mentioned going east many times during that short segment.

I would love to hear that.

Link?

I just looked it up and watched Delany's first half interview to try to get a sense of whether or not he sounds like, to me, that expansion is still on the table. To me, it sounds like he is not finished. But I suppose everyone can interpret his between-the-lines in any way that they see fit.

Delany's interview begins around the 1:12 mark of the ESPN3 telecast: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2071173/

I just listened. He mentions moving east several times. Among the highlights (I'm paraphrasing):

1:14 mark - "We've had 3 games out east and all sellouts. When you bring in Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State out here to Rutgers and Maryland, the people will respond."

Dooley interpretation: bring a B1G schedule to the Rent and it will sell out. Programs who have had the same attendance issues as UCONN in the past few years (RU and MD) have sold out their games thanks to scheduling upgrade. Saturday's game against OSU was Maryland's first sell out since 2008.

1:18:30 - "We have to be as much of a national conference as we can be. We have good population but it's not a population that is growing at 4-5% per year. So we have to come east...we have ex-patriots who live out here who want to come out to see B1G football."

Dooley interpretation: consistent with what Delany has ALWAYS said - the B1G is interested in expanding east because of 1) larger population growth and 2) B1G alums who live out east.

Patience. CR is certainly not finished. It might not happen today or tomorrow, but it will happen again.

Reaction Score
This was a perfect year for RU and MD to enter the B1G. The conference is a complete dumpster fire from a quality of play standpoint right now, at least compared to the other members of the P5. It gives the new teams the impression of competitiveness, which will in turn drive recruiting gains.

Reaction Score
What are you disagreeing with?

The primary motivation for adding Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten was TV $$ and the Big Ten Network expansion. Got it! However what they are getting as a bonus at least at Rutgers and I assume Maryland will be the same, is a pretty darn good crowd and a great atmosphere. I know we are not talking 100,000+ crowds like the Big House or Beaver stadium. However Rutgers had advance sellouts for Penn State and Michigan. So far Rutgers is a good move for the B1G. Obviously the B1G saw what Rutgers drew for Cincy, Ville and WVA so they probably weren't surprised by Penn State and Michigan.

RankAttendanceDateGame result
1-53,774 (sell-out)[19]Sept. 13, 2014Penn State 13, Rutgers 10
2-53,737 (sell-out)[20]Sept. 7, 2009Cincinnati 47, Rutgers 15
3-53,327 (sell-out)[21]Oct. 5, 2014Rutgers 26, Michigan 24
4-52,798 (sell-out)[22]Nov. 29, 2012Louisville 20, Rutgers 17
5-52,534 (sell-out)[23]Dec. 5, 2009West Virginia 24, Rutgers 21

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ounces_game_versus_michigan_is_a_sellout.html

Reaction Score
The primary motivation for adding Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten was TV and the Big Ten Network expansion. Got it! However what they are getting as a bonus at least at Rutgers and I assume Maryland will be the same, is a pretty darn good crowd and a great atmosphere. I know we are not talking 100,000+ crowds like the Big House or Beaver stadium. However Rutgers had advance sellouts for Penn State and Michigan. So far Rutgers is a good move for the B1G. Obviously the B1G saw what Rutgers drew for Cincy, Ville and WVA so they probably weren't surprised by Penn State and Michigan.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ounces_game_versus_michigan_is_a_sellout.html
So you are trying to say that Rutgers loses 80% of the time that they sell out?

Reaction Score
The primary motivation for adding Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten was TV and the Big Ten Network expansion. Got it! However what they are getting as a bonus at least at Rutgers and I assume Maryland will be the same, is a pretty darn good crowd and a great atmosphere. I know we are not talking 100,000+ crowds like the Big House or Beaver stadium. However Rutgers had advance sellouts for Penn State and Michigan. So far Rutgers is a good move for the B1G. Obviously the B1G saw what Rutgers drew for Cincy, Ville and WVA so they probably weren't surprised by Penn State and Michigan.

That would be the case at just about every team in the country, particularly if the team is competitive. RU had plenty of empty seats when they were terrible and playing the dregs of D1.

Reaction Score

Gotcha. So you really don't differ on anything that I said.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's hard to tell Rutgers fans to act like you've been there, when you know damn well they have never actually been there.
Yep RU gets a pass on storming the field after any win. Probably after a few close losses as well.

Reaction Score

You're not wrong, and I think that Rutgers fans' attraction to Big Ten teams will last a lot longer than the brief novelty of ACC teams lasted with BC fans. With fannies in the seats and a decent product on the field, this relationship can certainly last and grow.

But, there's every reason to think that the same thing would have happened here if we had been asked to join.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong, and I think that Rutgers fans' attraction to Big Ten teams will last a lot longer than the brief novelty of ACC teams lasted with BC fans. With fannies in the seats and a decent product on the field, this relationship can certainly last and grow.

But, there's every reason to think that the same thing would have happened here if we had been asked to join.

I think this gets to what is a really KEY point ...

Have you built a fanbase that is going to grow and excite a regional University ... that endures and develops into a real good conference addition; or have you just grabbed a bunch of knuckleheads that are thrilled that they are elevated to this higher level (but there is no residual wave nor capacity to monetize the product) ... and that ends after a little honeymoon.

What is going to happen in Central New York? Are you really buying that the Cuse had potential in Manhattan after a few billboards and spots on the WFAN?
Boston College set to conquer the southeastern Catholics? Really?
Pitt ... the NON - Penn State ... is like COKE (without Caffeine). A really good football market; but how much expansiveness could you possibily expect in Western PA?

My theme continues to be that Delaney/B1G really will solidly build with Rutgers & Maryland; whereas, the ACC bought Branding from 20-35 years ago. Rutgers experience of last weekend SHOULD reflect what UConn can do because we are "growing" a Program into a bigger market. We can expand and go into every corner of our state and near states ... plus more NYC & Boston.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Dooley

Reaction Score
Rutgers attendance will be very good for years in the B1G. If Rutgers is competitive, then their own fans will buy tickets. In years that Rutgers is not competitive, then alumni from Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc will buy their tickets. It would be the same thing here at UCONN. The Michigan game at the Rent last year had a rocking atmosphere even though there were about 6-7K Michigan fans in attendance. If they ever came back in a year that we didn't have Mr Burns as head coach and were competitive, then UCONN could sell 50+K tickets too. No question about that as we've done it before.

Reaction Score
And ... for a few years, the Clemsons & UNCs would love to come to Boston (but NOT Syracuse ... and maybe NOT Pittsburgh). But, that will wear off given alternatives.

I suspect that the environment & the interest-level of B1G playing Rutgers & Maryland will sustain through a long time. And that is also true on the TV eyeballs.

See ... one had the right formula.

Reaction Score
They stormed the field? After beating an unranked opponent with a losing record?

Reaction Score
They stormed the field? After beating an unranked opponent with a losing record?

If I were a Rutgers fan, I would have stormed the field too! If that game were UCONN - Michigan and UCONN didn't storm the field, it would be disappointing.
Excitement and youthful enthusiasm is a hallmark of college football. That's why so many are concerned about keeping it an amateur sport. That's what differentiates it from the Pro game.

Once again Boat, like it or not Rutgers beat Michigan. Ranked or unranked, Rutgers beat Michigan their first year in the B1G. Don't think they won't be playing that tune for incoming Rutgers recruits!

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't think WVU was ranked when we beat them and stormed the field.

Reaction Score

I believe it would but Rutgers environment is a bit more hostile with the canons and the fireworks. UCONN's crowd against Michigan was great but I might give a slight edge to Rutgers if I am being 100% objective. 10K more in attendance doesn't hurt them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom