Rutgers @ Maryland last night | The Boneyard

Rutgers @ Maryland last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What do you guys think of Maryland?

I've went to two of their games this season. They've won handily in both games. First against USF and last night against Rutgers.

They seem to have some solid bigs in the middle and at least one who comes in off the bench. They pounded the ball into the middle three straight times in the second half and that was the ball game. The girl has moves under the basket like I think a low post center needs to have.

They lost two road games early in the season. One seems to have been an upset against Wash. St. and the other against ND even though Turner was out with the injury (wish that one was televised).

I want to see them and Delaware play in their conference tournaments (hope they play on different nights). They both have their tournaments locally.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice game by Maryland. One thing to note is that their bench is short. They played only 6 players with any minutes. The other 3 reserves off the bench got a combined 9 minutes between the 3 of them...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'll have to watch them again sometime. Brown and Mincy are a pretty nice tandem and are fun to watch.

They looked awful against ND earlier this season. Turner went out early and Reimer scored 21 (7-9 FG, 7-9 FT) and Loyd had 27 pts, 8 reb, 6 ast. ND shot 58%.

Checking the stats, Maryland is 4th nationally in offensive points per possession, and 49th in defensive points for possession. That last number probably should be better for an elite team.

The Big Ten is stacked with good teams but Maryland is the only really great one. Iowa at Sagarin #16 is the next best. They are definitely consistent but I wonder if they can really hang with top teams, but they won't play anyone they can't handle until the elite 8 probably, so I'd guess they get at least that far.

EDIT: Just looked at the individual stats and Walker-Kimbrough actually has better stats than either Brown or Mincy. SWK, Brown, Mincy might be in the conversation for best backcourt in the country. Ok, 2nd best after Jefferson, Nurse, KML...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neither team has much of a bench. Rutgers, once known for their tenacious defense, gave up lots of easy buckets inside.
For Maryland, Brown and Kimbrough-Walker are really good players, but their bigs Howard and Jones do not get up and down the court well, are strictly interior plodders with no range outside the paint. They match up well size-wise with most teams bigs, but Stewie and Morgan's quickness would give them fits. Jones seems to always get in early foul trouble. In their tougher games, they got hammered by ND, lost to a mediocre Wash State, struggled to beat Iowa at home, beat 2 very overrated teams in Minnie and Nebraska and their defense often gives up tons of points. Not overly impressed with them or the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom