Rutgers in a battle at Memphis | The Boneyard

Rutgers in a battle at Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

That does not bode well for Rutgers this weekend. UCONN beat em by about 40, no?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Yep! 90-49!

Welcome to the top 25 Rutgers!

Hope they can pull it out. I like playing ranked teams!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yep! 90-49!

Welcome to the top 25 Rutgers!

Hope they can pull it out. I like playing ranked teams!
They'll still be ranked when UConn plays them, just not in the following list.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Way to beat Rutgers. Play a 2-3 zone.

RU loses in OT 74-73. Ugh. Win Streak snapped at 9 games.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Coler said:
Way to beat Rutgers. Play a 2-3 zone. RU loses in OT 74-73. Ugh. Win Streak snapped at 9 games.

What happened?

I wasn't expecting this at all!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Amazing loss. Rutgers out-shoots Memphis by 54.5% to 36% but makes no 3s and shoots 59% from the FT line. Knights also had 24 TOs to Memphis's 9.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
What happened?

I wasn't expecting this at all!

I didn't see it, but I was listening.

Turnovers hurt us badly, and stupid fouls. Also Memphis played a 2-3 zone all game that for the 2nd straight game we struggled against.

We shot above 50% I think, but we had like 24 turnovers...

Hopefully this lost and Sunday's will be a wake up call. We were playing so well there for a couple games too...oh well learning experience I guess.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, Rutgers dominated many of the stats, but the killers were -15 margin in TOs, 11 less offensive rebounds, and 13-22 at FT line vs Memphis's 17-22.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good for Memphis - after the Uconn defeat they lost in 2OT to SMU then beat USF and now Rutgers. That is the kind of reaction you like to see from a team after a Uconn smack down.
Tough loss for Rutgers - you have to work hard to shoot 55% vs 36% and loose especially when you win the rebounding battle by 5!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thus Rutgers stay in the polls will be short lived.

Reaction Score
I looked at the box score and the Rutgers bench scored 0 points. Considering that they had a tough time with Memphis and their bench was nearly nonexistent in the game, I imagine they'll lose to Uconn by 20+ points.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Coler said:
I didn't see it, but I was listening. Turnovers hurt us badly, and stupid fouls. Also Memphis played a 2-3 zone all game that for the 2nd straight game we struggled against. We shot above 50% I think, but we had like 24 turnovers... Hopefully this lost and Sunday's will be a wake up call. We were playing so well there for a couple games too...oh well learning experience I guess.
I credit you for being a fan and participating in a thread like this after a tough loss.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't mind AAC teams beating up on Rutgers this year. Would like to see it happen to Louisville as well, but that's not going to happen. :(. Three teams are projected to make the tournament from the AAC and two are leaving the conference next year.

We need a couple of other teams to step up and Memphis just might be one of them. Houston could be good in a couple of years if they hire the correct Head Coach that has strong ties with the DFW AAU program and able to get some of their players to commit to them. Then there's Temple which should be able to make the tournament on an annual basis.

Reaction Score
I didn't see it, but I was listening.

Turnovers hurt us badly, and stupid fouls. Also Memphis played a 2-3 zone all game that for the 2nd straight game we struggled against.

We shot above 50% I think, but we had like 24 turnovers...

Hopefully this lost and Sunday's will be a wake up call. We were playing so well there for a couple games too...oh well learning experience I guess.
I have to agree with Coler. I didn't see this coming either. I didn't see or hear the game, but the turnovers, fouls and free throw shooting seemed to be the difference.

I was hoping for a decent showing against UConn on Sunday (an RU loss of under 20 points). I am not naive enough to believe RU would win. Now, I am afraid it will be a foul fest.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't mind AAC teams beating up on Rutgers this year. Would like to see it happen to Louisville as well, but that's not going to happen. :(. Three teams are projected to make the tournament from the AAC and two are leaving the conference next year.
Creme may not have Temple in the tourney as a 4th AAC team, but they have a more than solid shot, with a #42 spot in the idiot RPI. Massey projects the Owls to finish the regular season at 17-12 with a #36 SOS, and if Temple then goes 1-1 in the AAC tourney with a second round loss to UConn, that's a decent package for the selection committee. I think they may well do a little better than that with maybe one more road win than projected. And four out of ten AAC teams in the tourney would be very respectable and a far cry from what some doomscreamers were predicting for the conference this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I likewise didn't see or hear the game. I do think folks sometimes are too specific in pointing to this or that stat as the issue. They all are contributing factors. One thing never truly costs a game.

I suppose I always assumed the losses to UConn would be ugly, my hope was and still is that there is a victory over Louisville or 2 in the Rutgers skillset.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I looked at the box score and the Rutgers bench scored 0 points. Considering that they had a tough time with Memphis and their bench was nearly nonexistent in the game, I imagine they'll lose to Uconn by 20+ points.

You sure you want to go out on a limb like that? :cool:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Just read this was Memphis' first win against a ranked team since 2003.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And four out of ten AAC teams in the tourney would be very respectable and a far cry from what some doomscreamers were predicting for the conference this year.
I think most of the "doomscreamers" predictions were for next year and thereafter. After Louisville and Rutgers leave. Not so much this year, when you have the 2 NC finalists in the league. Then you are down to 1-2 bids (as it looks now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom