Rutgers hires Steve Pikiell | The Boneyard

Rutgers hires Steve Pikiell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't blame him it is a power 5 job with enough talent in area to be much better than they are. Just wish it was any school except rutty or bc

Rooting against Rutgers will not be as fun with him there that is for sure.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Wow, GREAT hire by Rutgers. Pikiell could have done better than this.

Reaction Score
Can't blame him it is a power 5 job with enough talent in area to be much better than they are. Just wish it was any school except rutty or bc

Rooting against Rutgers will not be as fun with him there that is for sure.

I mean you don't have to root against Rutgers. It just takes care of itself.

Reaction Score
Happy and sad for Steve at the same time.

He'll get a big bump in pay. But he is on a sinking ship.
This must have been a difficult decision. Wish him luck. Needs a Pastner type contract.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Bad move by SP. Rutgers is an awful job. It's never been good and is a career killer. There were better opportunities out there. I wonder if the distraction had anything to do with Stony Brooks awful performance against Kentucky. Maybe they just sucked.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least you know he's going to get 5 years. I can root for him at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley turned it down to stay at RI but for what it may or may not be worth my money is on Pikiell to succeed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think it is great for Steve.
Conference-wise it is like he just skipped 2 grades. Plus the team stinks so he will definitely make progress.

Does show how sad Rutgers is though. I wouldn't want Steve picked as our HC and I love him. I would think a B1g conference team could do better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Earlier in the day, the local paper here in North Jersey advised that Georg Washington's Mike Lonergan turned down the Rutgers job. I hope for the sake of Steve's career, this is not a foolish move.

This isn't a foolish move. He's getting set-for-life money. Any progress at all will get him an extension. Look at Leitao. Took a bad job, did OK and parlayed it to an ACC job. Failed there and now he is back where he started. You have to get into the game sometime.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I remember when Calhoun took the UConn job he demanded a 7-year contract, because that's how long he thought it would take to turn us around. I hope Pikiell got something similar.

This isn't a foolish move. He's getting set-for-life money. Any progress at all will get him an extension. Look at Leitao. Took a bad job, did OK and parlayed it to an ACC job. Failed there and now he is back where he started. You have to get into the game sometime.
Yup. Worst-case scenario for Pikiell is that he spends the rest of his life as a millionaire. That wasn't going to happen at Stony Brook.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Does this mean we have to stop bashing Rutgers?
Nope. Bash Rutgers all you want. Just not the bb team.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I remember when Calhoun took the UConn job he demanded a 7-year contract, because that's how long he thought it would take to turn us around. I hope Pikiell got something similar.

Yup. Worst-case scenario for Pikiell is that he spends the rest of his life as a millionaire. That wasn't going to happen at Stony Brook.
It's a different world now, I doubt anyone in his position is getting more than 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom