Rutgers hires Steve Pikiell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers hires Steve Pikiell

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I remember when Calhoun took the UConn job he demanded a 7-year contract, because that's how long he thought it would take to turn us around. I hope Pikiell got something similar.

Yup. Worst-case scenario for Pikiell is that he spends the rest of his life as a millionaire. That wasn't going to happen at Stony Brook.
I agree that this was a money grab and he probably wanted to stay in the Northeast. He's no longer a young coach so if it's money, I get it. I just think there are better options. This was something of an Edsall move in that he had the chance to build something great and establish a legacy but left for a so-called better opportunity. Stony Brook has a beautiful facility, a rich benefactor chanelling money into the school, and dreams of D1 football. I doubt this ends as a good move for SP but at least we can add him as an assistant in a few years.

Reaction Score
I agree that this was a money grab and he probably wanted to stay in the Northeast. He's no longer a young coach so if it's money, I get it. I just think there are better options. This was something of an Edsall move in that he had the chance to build something great and establish a legacy but left for a so-called better opportunity. Stony Brook has a beautiful facility, a rich benefactor chanelling money into the school, and dreams of D1 football. I doubt this ends as a good move for SP but at least we can add him as an assistant in a few years.
That's cynical, since Pikiell already did build something great. That Stony Brook team only jumped to D-1 in 1999, and were pure garbage when he took over. Now they've had 7 years of sustained success, including multiple conference titles, postseason tournaments, and now the first trip to the dance. They should build a statue of him.

And so why not celebrate that legacy and try to resurrect Rutgers? The guy he played for in college knows a thing or two about taking a moribund program to the top of a great basketball conference, and he did it without having a plethora of local talent at his fingertips.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Congrats to Steve. He has earned this opportunity. He will do fine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I remember when Calhoun took the UConn job he demanded a 7-year contract, because that's how long he thought it would take to turn us around. I hope Pikiell got something similar.

Yup. Worst-case scenario for Pikiell is that he spends the rest of his life as a millionaire. That wasn't going to happen at Stony Brook.

Certainly would have had a lot of leverage given all the coaches that gave Rutty a pass. I hope to hell he used it.

Can't believe people are poopooing this. It's a P5 job in a hot recruiting area. P5's are so important now, as the likes of UCONN and Cinci have found out.

Guy probably got big money. Family taken care of. Won't necessarily kill his career, because everyone and their mother is becoming attuned to what a dumpster fire that Rutty job is.

Last edited:

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I don't hate the move. He gets a P5 gig, close to money, and a chance to exceed very low expectations. Good luck to him and congrats.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Good for Steve Pikiell. I think. As others pointed out Rutgers has no where to go but up. Big challenge for him I believe the staff he surrounds himself with. If he can nail a good recruiter and compete in the talent markets of NY, NJ and Northern eastern PA they could possibly turn that program around. Steve is a class act with a lot of character.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Great move and as an RU adjunct faculty member and will be happy to get back to a home and home with RU

Reaction Score
Relax, that's just a stepping stone for Steve, he'll turn it around, then probably end up making a bigger splash. Good for him, Rutgers makes a quality hire, very respectable, comes from a blue blood program and will win.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Great move and as an RU adjunct faculty member and will be happy to get back to a home and home with RU

Probably don't want to admit that...too close to the BBall program for the stench to not cling to you.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hear at least 3 candidates turned down the interview and/or offer
This is a big move up in program and $ for SP so I am happy for him in that aspect
RU couldn't be in a worse position - the Athletic Department has been and is a cesspool, the Mens BB program is in the crapper
Does SP have the recruitment ability to compete against the real big boys??????
Good Luck to him but really hope he has given this a long thought. Perhaps he views this as his only chance.

Reaction Score
Why Jim Calhoun thinks Steve Pikiell will turn Rutgers around
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...lhoun_thinks_steve_pikiell_will_turn_rut.html

>>"Do I think it's a fight at Rutgers? Yeah," Calhoun told NJ Advance Media on Saturday soon after NJ Advance Media broke the news that Pikiell had gotten the job. "But there is no doubt in my mind that Steve will have a good chance to recruit in a place that's 36 miles from the Lincoln Tunnel. He'll do a great job."<<

>>Calhoun delivered the same message to Rutgers athletic director Patrick Hobbs in a conversation this week about Pikiell. He described his former point guard's tenacity, integrity, and maybe most of all, work ethic — and, while it's unclear what pushed Pikiell to the top of Hobbs' list, Calhoun isn't a bad reference to have in college basketball.<<

>>Just how much does Calhoun like Pikiell? He told NJ Advance Media that he had two opportunities to take over Big Ten programs since retiring at Connecticut, and each time, he had planned to bring Pikiell along as his "coach in waiting." The 73-year-old opted to stay retired instead.<<

Reaction Score
>>Just how much does Calhoun like Pikiell? He told NJ Advance Media that he had two opportunities to take over Big Ten programs since retiring at Connecticut, and each time, he had planned to bring Pikiell along as his "coach in waiting." The 73-year-old opted to stay retired instead.<<
Only B1G jobs that have been open since Calhoun retired have been Minnesota, Northwestern and Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Somewhere, RutgersAl is rubbing one out.

Can you imagine how good they would be if Mike Rosario was still there?

Reaction Score

Only B1G jobs that have been open since Calhoun retired have been Minnesota, Northwestern and Rutgers.

Well, it doesn't mean someone wouldn't have suddenly gotten jettisoned if Calhoun said yes ;)

Reaction Score
Great for Steve. He gets a P5 job with absolutely no expectations, and nowhere to go but up. Also gives us yet another ally in the B1G.

Reaction Score
My daughter went to HS at St. Paul's with Pikiell. According to her, real nice and humble kid. He was a great, great HS player and unfortunately we never saw much of his talent due to serious injuries.
Glad for Steve. Rutgers is a great opportunity to build their program into something significant. Plenty of talent close to the Rutgers campus and it will be up to him to bring in players who can win. Good luck Steve!

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Dan Donigan is HC for Rutgers soccer

Reaction Score
Well, it doesn't mean someone wouldn't have suddenly gotten jettisoned if Calhoun said yes ;)

That's a good point. I wouldn't be shocked if Indiana might have informally offered him with the thought that Calhoun might have energized a depressed program, but held onto Crean when he declined. Is that insane? Maybe.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't want UConn or Calhoun mentioned in the same breath as RU

I knew Steve was going to step it up, I never even imagined it would be RU

still wishing him all the best

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Bad move by SP. Rutgers is an awful job. It's never been good and is a career killer. There were better opportunities out there. I wonder if the distraction had anything to do with Stony Brooks awful performance against Kentucky. Maybe they just sucked.

Baloney. Rutgers in the Big East was a dead end. Rutgers in the B1G with all that money and being the only conference team in the NYC area, is a good job.
Regardinhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/w_s0G6dkaZU/hqdefault.jpgg g the Stony Brook Kentucky game, SB was so badly outmanned, it was laughable. Fact that he got that team there may have been a miracle.

Rutgers probably won't ever be of any football benefit to the B1G, but if Pikiell can grab a couple nice northeastern recruits and compete in a league of midwest types.

Reaction Score
Baloney. Rutgers in the Big East was a dead end. Rutgers in the B1G with all that money and being the only conference team in the NYC area, is a good job.
Regardinhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/w_s0G6dkaZU/hqdefault.jpgg g the Stony Brook Kentucky game, SB was so badly outmanned, it was laughable. Fact that he got that team there may have been a miracle.

Rutgers probably won't ever be of any football benefit to the B1G, but if Pikiell can grab a couple nice northeastern recruits and compete in a league of midwest types.

There is opportunity if Pikiell & co. can get Rutgers to invest in the programs - practice facility, do something with the RAC, more money for assistant coaches & recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom