Rutgers head coach Gregg Schiano refuses to state whether he knew Sandusky was molesting young boys | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers head coach Gregg Schiano refuses to state whether he knew Sandusky was molesting young boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but the response just doesn't quite sound right. Wouldn't you say "Of course not, but I'm not going to talk about it further." If someone asked me whether I knew about a child molester, I'd answer that question.

I have no idea what Schiano knew or didn't know but this is starting to seem like it was the worst kept secret of all time. Just a hunch but it seems like a lot of people's reactions seem ...odd. I'm not saying that it was openly known, but I do get the sense that they may have been "talk". Again,just a feeling.
If the players heard rumors about Sandusky back then you can bet Schiano knew something as well. A couple players from those years came forward today and said there were rumors about Sandusky back then.

Reaction Score
It's a no win situation for him. If he says he heard the rumors then he opens up a huge can of worms with the media. If he says he had no idea and did hear things, then he becomes a "liar". Accept that there is no positive for him to answer questions so therefore he won't. Works for me.
The real can of worms will come when subpenas start getting handed out to all the former coaches and some former players, Schiano included. Then the finger pointing will start, and guilt by association will be soup de jour. Whoever told Schiano to say "no comment" gave him bad advice, this will bite him in the @ss. If he had talked about his years there under Sandusky he could have nipped this in the bud at the very least.

Reaction Score
It is absurd, and assinine, to use Schiano and Sandusky in the same sentence. There are a lot of people who would have heard rumors that Sandusky was doing boys. But how many of us would, or should, be calling the police because they heard an unsubstantiated rumor. Only the young man who saw it, any anyone who heard a report from them and in good faith believed the report, had a clear moral duty to call the police.

If any of us called the police any time we were told by someone that a third party did something wrong, the police whould never get any real work done. And, in Paterno's possible defense, whether he should have called the police really depends on whether he believed what the grad assistant told him. He may have, but I think it is too early to ask whether he may not have as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is absurd, and assinine, to use Schiano and Sandusky in the same sentence. There are a lot of people who would have heard rumors that Sandusky was doing boys. But how many of us would, or should, be calling the police because they heard an unsubstantiated rumor. Only the young man who saw it, any anyone who heard a report from them and in good faith believed the report, had a clear moral duty to call the police.

If any of us called the police any time we were told by someone that a third party did something wrong, the police whould never get any real work done. And, in Paterno's possible defense, whether he should have called the police really depends on whether he believed what the grad assistant told him. He may have, but I think it is too early to ask whether he may not have as well.

The mountain of circumstantial evidence against Paterno is overwhelming. Sandusky "resigned" right around the same time that the first formal investigation into his activities was underway. Despite Sandusky's tremendous success, no program seriously pursues him for a HC job, which says to me that Paterno was waving them off. A GA witnesses Sandusky assaulting a boy and is rewarded with a promotion for keeping his mouth shut. Even if Paterno is never charged with perjury, which I think is 50/50, I don't need a formal conviction to know that he is guilty as sin of covering up Sandusky's behavior.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Easy there Hoss. No one is suggesting that Schiano committed a crime, only that his response gives the impression (to me at least) that he may have been aware of rumors regarding Sandusky. Given just how long this may have been an open secret, it is neither absurd nor assinine to wonder what anyone affiliated with the program may have known.

By the way my sense that this wasn't a particularly well kept secret seems gaining some the traction in the media.

"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55. [That's] young for a coach, certainly."

Link to Hurley article.
(Caveat: The article discusses a rumor that Sandusky may have been "pimping boys to major donors".)

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall will be the next PSU coach. There I said it. ;)
Are you kidding? Not in a million years would they give that job to FHCRE. If he has no skeletons in his closet and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any, my money is on Schiano.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seriously...leave him alone. If he was somehow involved, ie he knew something it will come out soon enough. And as Nan said it is pretty likey he has been advised by the rutgers attorney, likey by others including his own not to say anything about this, especially if there is a possibility he'll be deposed. But beyond that, as Matt said, sometimes things look very different when you know the facts...Friend of ours tells a story about a priest in their parish in Boston growing up who had a great reputation in the neighborhood...used to take kids to Fenway, had tickets to BC football, the Bruins...everyone thought he was a great guy looking out for neighborhood boys, particularly those who had single mothers, things like that....everyone was crushed when he got transferred to a new parish...of course 20 years later, his name came up in the Boston priest-pedofile scandal as a major offender...In hindsight his "good deeds" don't look so good. they were at least in a number of cases, nothing more than an opportunity to take advantage of young kids. Can't you see the same thing with Sandusky and his organization? Or Schiano's view of some of these thing?
+1.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Not in a million years would they give that job to FHCRE. If he has no skeletons in his closet and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any, my money is on Schiano.
Yes, I am Kidding. But it would be ironic and funny.

Reaction Score
I think Schiano will be the next HC at PSU. That being said, this is a fan board where football fans can discuss and share their opinions, not tell other posters what to do, think, or post about Paterno, Sandusky, Edsal, Obama, or Schiano in a civil and fair manner. These people are in the public eye and shame on you for saying not to talk about them.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I thought the winky face was a dead giveaway that he was serious

Reaction Score
I thought the winky face was a dead giveaway that he was serious
Sorry should of put a winky face after "kidding?" Doubling down on someone elses sarcasm is tough to read sometimes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think Schiano will be the next HC at PSU. That being said, this is a fan board where football fans can discuss and share their opinions, not tell other posters what to do, think, or post about Paterno, Sandusky, Edsal, Obama, or Schiano in a civil and fair manner. These people are in the public eye and shame on you for saying not to talk about them.

For the record I gave the plus one for the majority of the post. I agree with you people have the right to discuss opinions and shouldn't be censured. We can't learn if we can't participate. The rest of his commentary still merits a +1 imo.

Reaction Score
The real can of worms will come when subpenas start getting handed out to all the former coaches and some former players, Schiano included. Then the finger pointing will start, and guilt by association will be soup de jour. Whoever told Schiano to say "no comment" gave him bad advice, this will bite him in the @ss. If he had talked about his years there under Sandusky he could have nipped this in the bud at the very least.

I disagree. There have been no reported crimes during Schiano's time at PSU. It is hard to imagine that nothing took place between 1977 and 1995, but still nothing documented. The issues under investigation happened while Schiano was long gone from PSU. I am sure he heard the same rumors all the people heard about Sandusky, but there are probably hundreds who have heard those. Why does he get singled out for a subpena? If you get a hearsay story about a coach from a person 3-4 levels removed from the source it doesn't mean it is credible or accurate. We are making an assumptin that Schiano was within the "inner circle" at PSU when in fact he only coached there for 5 years as a young assistant and was 5-7 years out of PSU when he probably heard those rumors.

Reaction Score
I disagree. There have been no reported crimes during Schiano's time at PSU. It is hard to imagine that nothing took place between 1977 and 1995, but still nothing documented. The issues under investigation happened while Schiano was long gone from PSU. I am sure he heard the same rumors all the people heard about Sandusky, but there are probably hundreds who have heard those. Why does he get singled out for a subpena? If you get a hearsay story about a coach from a person 3-4 levels removed from the source it doesn't mean it is credible or accurate. We are making an assumptin that Schiano was within the "inner circle" at PSU when in fact he only coached there for 5 years as a young assistant and was 5-7 years out of PSU when he probably heard those rumors.

Why does he get singled out? Maybe just because he said "no comment" in the first place. Like I said, bad advice.

Reaction Score
Why does he get singled out? Maybe just because he said "no comment" in the first place. Like I said, bad advice.

I admit to pushing buttons on Schiano's response, but that's really what's funny about it -- saying "no comment" when asked is one thing, preemptively declaring that you won't comment is quite another. It's as egotistical as his pronouncements that he's not a candidate for the job at __ that he makes every year.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

The talking-head consensus seems to be that PSU has to make a hire with zero connections to the Paterno regime and the way things have always been done there. That would mean no Bradley, Schiano, Golden, etc. Hiring Schiano, as an aside, would be waving a white flag regarding a return to being an elite program.

Reaction Score
There's no perfect answer to that question. His was as good as you could expect. A "no comment" would have spurred even more speculation than in this thread. If he did have any facts, rumors or otherwise an interview with the Newark Star Ledger isn't the correct forum. As has been theorized, almost everyone is likely to have a police interview/subpeona or formally questioned by proper authorties at some point. Making a witch hunt out of this and trying to pile up more people to blame via popular opinion is neither fair or productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom