Rutgers got the B1G invite for what?!? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rutgers got the B1G invite for what?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My bad...but it remains that Louisville has won the last two BCS bowls it played in...not shabby.

They had an 11 win season the year of the invite, had beaten ACC teams with winning records, had beaten the ACC Champ in the Orange and a nine win FSU...

All of which gave the Cards a football presence in the minds of some ACC football folks.

Reaction Score
.... and all of which continues to be irrelevant to the dialogue at hand.

dim.......very dim............

Reaction Score
The argument "on hand" always seems to be..."why was so and so chosen rather than the better choice, UConn".

You are never off topic on this board if that is the subject matter of a post.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Holy Economou... can we set up a filter so that anytime the terms RU and B1G are mentioned in the same thread the entire post is change to read, "Cable Subscribers?"

The labor savings would be significant.

Reaction Score
The argument "on hand" always seems to be..."why was so and so chosen rather than the better choice, UConn".

You are never off topic on this board if that is the subject matter of a post.
. Why don't you drop dead. UConn was screwed. Period. For whatever reason, doesn't matter. You can take FSU and shove it.

Reaction Score
Since the flames are rising, I'll add that Fiesta Bowl sponsors were very unhappy with the UCONN-OU matchup. And the game was difficult to watch.

And the net rumors say UL was FSU's decision, and the ACC needed to keep the Noles happy.

Reaction Score
Since the flames are rising, I'll add that Fiesta Bowl sponsors were very unhappy with the UCONN-OU matchup. And the game was difficult to watch.

And the net rumors say UL was FSU's decision, and the ACC needed to keep the Noles happy.

Game was within one TD in the 3rd qtr. 4th qtr was a blowout. There are ACC teams like Clemson that get blown out of the water and give up 70 points, so you bringing this stuff up (especially in seasons like 2010 in which Louisville was stinking up the joint) amount to nothing but trolling.

In football, UConn had combined winning records against the 3 teams that joined the ACC, and in those years UConn even beat Notre Dame @Notre Dame despite the officials' ridiculous attempts to hand ND the game.

Reaction Score
Game was within one TD in the 3rd qtr. 4th qtr was a blowout. There are ACC teams like Clemson that get blown out of the water and give up 70 points, so you bringing this stuff up (especially in seasons like 2010 in which Louisville was stinking up the joint) amount to nothing but trolling.

In football, UConn had combined winning records against the 3 teams that joined the ACC, and in those years UConn even beat Notre Dame @Notre Dame despite the officials' ridiculous attempts to hand ND the game.

I am not trolling on someone else's board. I am mostly repeating what I read and heard so you know what the decision makers are thinking.

And your example supports the argument anyway. The Huskies had a chance to shock the upset prone Sooners and couldn't score, that is a disappointment. In the Orange bowl at least the fans were mesmerized by the Clemson trainwreck, and WVU played their way into the Big12 going 3-0 in bcs bowls.

Reaction Score
I do look forward to a season of Maryland and Rutgers football and basketball in the Big 10. I can't think of two expansion decisions that will look worse on the field/court than those two.

Really, you can't think of two?

I'll give you a few clues on one of them. They've had 3 straight losing seasons...have finished in the bottom half of the conference in 8 of the last 10 years...and has an overall lifetime losing record. 494-526-39

Oh, and their mascot is a Husky.

Reaction Score
I am not trolling on someone else's board. I am mostly repeating what I read and heard so you know what the decision makers are thinking.

And your example supports the argument anyway. The Huskies had a chance to shock the upset prone Sooners and couldn't score, that is a disappointment. In the Orange bowl at least the fans were mesmerized by the Clemson trainwreck, and WVU played their way into the Big12 going 3-0 in bcs bowls.

The idea that UConn's loss to Oklahoma (a team that had lost 4 bowl games in a row, a few of them to non-BCS schools, and so were primed to not lose again) is the key to UConn being left behind, while somehow Louisville's win over a clearly disinterested and disintegrating Florida is preposterous. UConn actually played and beat that Ville team that year--they simply were not as good as they hype.

Reaction Score
Really, you can't think of two?

I'll give you a few clues on one of them. They've had 3 straight losing seasons...have finished in the bottom half of the conference in 8 of the last 10 years...and has an overall lifetime losing record. 494-526-39

Oh, and their mascot is a Husky.

Well.....here's how Nelson knows that Rutgers will not have success in the B1G. Because they have never had success. Pretty simple logic.

As for UCONN's struggles the last three football seasons, even with a bad HC hire we managed to beat Rutgers two of the last three seasons and that HC is now long gone.

Reaction Score
The only reason they chose Rutgers over UConn to gain the New York market is because New Jersey produces a lot more division 1 football prospects every year. It's that simple
I didn't know UConn was under consideration or even vetted by the B1G at that time? ACC yes B1G no not then... RU is Mid-Atlantic....UConn is looked at as New England...why is everyone playing the RU-UConn against each other when no other local schools or their fan's pull's for UConn like NJ? Someone is playing us against each other and UConn has too much to lose to let that happen! Run those ACC clowns off you're board or embrace them? your choice...old as hell...divide and conquer or work together as state school neighbors.

Reaction Score
I do look forward to a season of Maryland and Rutgers football and basketball in the Big 10. I can't think of two expansion decisions that will look worse on the field/court than those two.
From the guy who thought UConn should just drop FB? I'm beginning to wonder about you? You seem reasonably intelligent yet downplay you're own school's abilities to get to the mountain in CR?? I'll usually give you a pass but you come up with the wackiest stuff !?!

Reaction Score
Ironic that the governor of NJ went to see the Huskies play in MSG. I guess he realizes that RU certainly won't be playing in any championships while he is still in office.

Reaction Score
Ironic that the governor of NJ went to see the Huskies play in MSG. I guess he realizes that RU certainly won't be playing in any championships while he is still in office.

Amazing that the Governor of NJ even knows what the NCAA tournament is.......

Reaction Score
Ironically, the reason my governor, Mr. Christie, cannot watch an NCAA tournament game in NJ is because of his support of sports gambling, including college sports. No NCAA championships will be held in NJ if and until the courts all uphold the current lower court ban in NJ or until bigger states approve college sports gambling. Frankly, Christie had one h&ll of a nerve to go there.

Anyway, good luck to UConn today.

Reaction Score
Ironically, the reason my governor, Mr. Christie, cannot watch an NCAA tournament game in NJ is because of his support of sports gambling, including college sports. No NCAA championships will be held in NJ if and until the courts all uphold the current lower court ban in NJ or until bigger states approve college sports gambling. Frankly, Christie had one h&ll of a nerve to go there.

Anyway, good luck to UConn today.

That's over: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9023840/ncaa-lifts-ban-tournaments-new-jersey

Reaction Score
It's sort of over for now. But as the article states, if a higher court overturns the lower court ruling, the ban goes into effect again. When the ban first happened, several championships had to be rescheduled elsewhere, some at the last minute. The same could happen again, so it would seem prudent to not schedule championships in NJ until the court cases are settled.

Reaction Score
If not for the BTN, Rutgers NEVER sniffs a B1G Invite. Not next year not a hundred years from now. This is not a slam, it is the reality of how the situation played out.

AAU Membership, contiguous geography, and presenting a similar university profile are all nice, but ultimately if Delany did not believe that he could leverage NJ/NY Cable Subscribers, they would assuredly be on the outside looking in.

No current member would sign up to make less money so that TSUNJ could move up in the world. I hope that Rutgers can improve their over all athletic dept, but I'll be skeptical until I see real commitment from their administration. Their history has been painfully bad to date. Honestly there is no excuse that a university as old as RU, that competes in as many sports as they do, should be so futile in all of them. My school won twice as many National Titles (2) this weekend than Rutgers has won in history. I'm sorry Uconn. I wish athletic success had more to do with conference membership. You guys would be a great addition to the B1G in nearly every sport.
Not 1 like? I guess AzK'n don't always get rewarded...most of these guys have class..try it you may "like" it? NJ has always been on Delany's radar as he grew up there and JoPa's wanted RU in forever. Tired of LT's? Okla's CR board.Or maybe their tired of you?Futile? Ever hear of Paul Robeson?Yeah RU ain't OSU or Bama though BearBryant swore never to return in 81 after RU scared the pants off him at the meadowlands but a much needed breath of fresh air compared to many of the stale B1G schools whove mainly been just filler for UM and OSU. Don't be so hi falutin arrogant here hayseed !You'd think FB was invented in Iowa or Minnesota by you're uneducated scathing of the newest add to you're conference.I wish these guys could see your real opinions on LT's CR board of them.

Last edited:

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
Fishy did not call them "hayseeds" for no reason.

Yes, we really don't deserve to be a part of the big ten based on our athletic pedigree. And frankly all the events that occurred after Nov 2012 is a pretty big black eye to the big ten. I am sure they all have buyers remorse (I would be absolutely disgusted if I were in their shoes) but they are now stuck with the piece of turd that is our athletics programs. I guess we're now all hoping that with the watering of this turd with big ten money, something of tangible value and substance can grow and bloom from it. Only time will tell if this will occur.

I feel sorry for programs like UConn and Cincinnati that have achieved consistently at the highest level athletically yet are in an unstable athletic situation. In an ideal world Rutgers would be staying in the AAC or Patriot league and UConn would be in a power conference. Alas, life is not always fair.

We were accepted into the big ten because we can make them money with the BTN carriage fees by securing the Philly and NYC DMAs along with Michigan and PSU (RU, UM, PSU gives a formidable viewership block from Philly to NYC). Our academic profile with our medical school was also a nice bonus for the CIC. From an athletic standpoint we bring some history, tradition and accomplishments but nothing substantial. We have never funded all 27 sports at a 1a level. Even now our BB teams are funded very poorly since throughout the 2000s in order to get FB up to par in d1a we were constantly taking money from BB and putting it into FB.

Until 2000 there was no major athletic funding or focus at RU. This phenomena is relatively new since many still have a patriot league mentality. Until 2007 we used to carry around 32 sports. Until 2000, the goal of sports at Rutgers was not to win, it was to provide students with the greatest selection of sports possible and if we win great! But winning wasn't a priority (patriot/ivy league mentality). That's the reason why we only started playing a d1a schedule after 1980 (with little to no funding for most sports that has only started to change in the 2000s) and why we've consistently performed sub par in many sports for decades at a time. Like anything, if you don't care and don't put any effort into improve something, it likely won't ever improve over time.

Since 2000 we've started to build up our athletic programs from the ground up with very limited resources. Many of the plans for new facilites are in holding patterns due to lack of funds (this was the reason why most of the athletic funds were diverted to FB until around 2010 when Pernetti became AD). The road to building up our 27 athletic program will be long but we'll get there eventually (i'd say it should take another 10yrs with the big ten money rolling in).

But to get back to conference realignment, we lucked out based on our location and pull with the media when we are successful (#1 ratings of any CFB team on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and SNY in NYC DMA while playing teams like UofL, USF, WVU, Arkansas).

We don't deserve it, we were just lucky. That's the best way to put it.

Good luck with your athletics programs and hopefully UConn gets called up to a power conference soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know the money our athletic director has set aside for a coaching regime change in football, so if Flood gets fired next year, things are going to change really, really quickly.

Talking B1G money here folks, that lady gets it.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is in NJ and UCONN is in CT. That is the reason Rutgers is in the B1G and UCONN the AAC. If performance and fan support (let alone basketball attendance) mattered all that much, my guess is the university that stacks national championships like cord wood and gets 10,000 at women's hoops games would be in the B1G or ACC.
How many NC's do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog