Rutgers got the B1G invite for what?!? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers got the B1G invite for what?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You dont have to look forward to a season or two of RU in the Big Ten in hoops nelson. Just look at when they were in the Big East. They NEVER made the NCAA Tourney while a member of the BE.

Reaction Score
Which is the thing with UCONN. It's not close enough to NYC to really claim NYC as its home (though Syracuse tries and fails at it), and while close to Boston, Boston won't ever claim UCONN.

So, and please don't hate me for this, I feel a lot of higher ups that pull the strings in conference realignment want to see if UCONN will die on the vine in not just football, but basketball as well.
You know there is a UConn branch in Stamford, downtown in fact. So the main campus may not be in Fairfeild county but UConn certainly does have a presence and holds classes in the southern CT media market!

Reaction Score
Question, do your branch campuses hate the main campus like ours do? They tried to force the main campus to give them a cut of all future B1G earnings even though they have their own separate athletic departments!

Reaction Score
No, in fact everyone attending on a branch campus looks forward to moving to Storrs, the reason they may not be there currently is because either they could not get into their particular school of choice and so must attend the branch, be closer to home where they can commute, and/or they wanted to save some money on tuition. As to your other point, I do not know if the UConn branches have part of their tuition going towards the athletic department up in Storrs.

Reaction Score
No, in fact everyone attending on a branch campus looks forward to moving to Storrs, the reason they may not be there currently is because either they could not get into their particular school of choice and so must attend the branch, be closer to home where they can commute, and/or they wanted to save some money on tuition. As to your other point, I do not know if the UConn branches have part of their tuition going towards the athletic department up in Storrs.
Of course, I don't really know if everyone looks forward to it, but everyone I knew attending a branch campus looked forward to it, the commuters college syndrome gets old pretty quick!

Reaction Score
The Rutgirls fan is right about one thing. ESPN is trying to destroy our athletic program.

Why is ESPN trying to destroy us? Not arguing with you. I'm more in the mind we are just collateral damage and got effed by BC. It's obvious they conspired with the ACC to destroy the Big East. This probably had something to do with it:

darren rovellVerified account‏@darrenrovell
A look at the NCAA Tournament payouts by conference over the last 5 years (via @jonsol) pic.twitter.com/oW1mVAUCZS

Reaction Score
I buy that great games can change a U's athletic reputation but this looks like revisionist history.

Reaction Score
Or it's saying when we play big opponents we pull in some big ratings in the NYC metro. And by 'glimpse' I mean Ohio State/PSU/Michigan should pull in monster ratings vs. a competitive Rutgers team if we have one because we pulled in fantastic ratings against Louisville, West Virginia, and USF.

Good ratings against those teams were a 'glimpse' into what could and should feasibly happen against teams that are ten times the draw of those three teams.

Those glimpses were indicative of potential. I'll buy that.

But saying that we are too far away to claim NYC as a "home" seems absurd given the way UConn has taken over MSG historically. We definitely have a piece of the big apple.

Reaction Score
If not for the BTN, Rutgers NEVER sniffs a B1G Invite. Not next year not a hundred years from now. This is not a slam, it is the reality of how the situation played out.

AAU Membership, contiguous geography, and presenting a similar university profile are all nice, but ultimately if Delany did not believe that he could leverage NJ/NY Cable Subscribers, they would assuredly be on the outside looking in.

No current member would sign up to make less money so that TSUNJ could move up in the world. I hope that Rutgers can improve their over all athletic dept, but I'll be skeptical until I see real commitment from their administration. Their history has been painfully bad to date. Honestly there is no excuse that a university as old as RU, that competes in as many sports as they do, should be so futile in all of them. My school won twice as many National Titles (2) this weekend than Rutgers has won in history. I'm sorry Uconn. I wish athletic success had more to do with conference membership. You guys would be a great addition to the B1G in nearly every sport.

Reaction Score
Explain.
Louisville put themselves on the map thrashing Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Without that win, FSU does not insist that they be Maryland's replacement. Most school's remember a great athletic battle as their coming out party, ours was a 7-7 tie with Army a century or so ago.

But the journalist is forcing the issue with Rutgers, no one believes that someone else gets the BUG invite but for that game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Which is the thing with UCONN. It's not close enough to NYC to really claim NYC as its home (though Syracuse tries and fails at it), and while close to Boston, Boston won't ever claim UCONN.

So, and please don't hate me for this, I feel a lot of higher ups that pull the strings in conference realignment want to see if UCONN will die on the vine in not just football, but basketball as well.
News flash Jay RU's proximity to NYC doesn't help it to "claim NYC." RU got in to the B1G because NJ has a population density that rivals New Delhi. That's not to say that all 5.9 mil in North Jersey care about Rutgers, they don't, but they don't have to generate carriage fees.

Reaction Score
Louisville put themselves on the map thrashing Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Without that win, FSU does not insist that they be Maryland's replacement. Most school's remember a great athletic battle as their coming out party, ours was a 7-7 tie with Army a century or so ago.

But the journalist is forcing the issue with Rutgers, no one believes that someone else gets the BUG invite but for that game.
They were selected by the ACC after losing to us at home and before the Sugar Bowl.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
They were selected by the ACC after losing to us at home and before the Sugar Bowl.

Facts. The arch-nemisis of our "real football" visitors.

Seriously, the more I hear from these guys the more I hate college football.

Reaction Score
UConn may have had the game where they beat Louisville in 2012...But Louisville went on to win 11 games that year and UConn won 5.

But it seems like a decent football choice...Louisville has gone on to win two straight BCS Bowls after the invite.

Reaction Score
UConn may have had the game where they beat Louisville in 2012...But Louisville went on to win 11 games that year and UConn won 5.

But it seems like a decent football choice...Louisville has gone on to win two straight BCS Bowls after the invite.

What kind of trolling motor do you have on your fishing boat?

Reaction Score

Which is totally and utterly besides the point.......but, carry on.......

Reaction Score
Hey...If a guy toots about Louisville being selected after UConn beat them...I can point out the whole season...UConn won five games that season, Louisville eleven.

What troll is that?

I'll answer...a "troll" is any fact or response which runs counter to the board narrative.

Reaction Score
Huh? You said after the invite. The Orange Bowl was in 2006.

Yeah, but if you make up the argument as you go along, then that doesn't matter. See, you are trying to use logic and form an argument. Numnuts, not so much......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom