Rutgers got the B1G invite for what?!? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rutgers got the B1G invite for what?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not 1 like? I guess AzK'n don't always get rewarded...most of these guys have class..try it you may "like" it? NJ has always been on Delany's radar as he grew up there and JoPa's wanted RU in forever. Tired of LT's? Okla's CR board.Or maybe their tired of you?Futile? Ever hear of Paul Robeson?Yeah RU ain't OSU or Bama though BearBryant swore never to return in 81 after RU scared the pants off him at the meadowlands but a much needed breath of fresh air compared to many of the stale B1G schools whove mainly been just filler for UM and OSU. Don't be so hi falutin arrogant here hayseed !You'd think FB was invented in Iowa or Minnesota by you're uneducated scathing of the newest add to you're conference.I wish these guys could see your real opinions on LT's CR board of them.

1)I have no idea what 3/4 of what you posted has to do with anything in my post.

2)I'm far from a hayseed. I have been all over this great country, but have never lived anywhere west of Pennsylvania.

3)The premise stands. Without The BTN and the potential to leverage NY and NJ Cable Subscribers, Rutgers does not get into the B1G. Not tomorrow, not 100 years from now. That's coming from someone who is happy about the newest additions. Conference Realignment as it pertains to the B1G has everything to do with potential TV dollars and little to do with the over all quality of a school's AD. Sorry again UCONN.

Reaction Score
Yes, we really don't deserve to be a part of the big ten based on our athletic pedigree. And frankly all the events that occurred after Nov 2012 is a pretty big black eye to the big ten. I am sure they all have buyers remorse (I would be absolutely disgusted if I were in their shoes) but they are now stuck with the piece of turd that is our athletics programs. I guess we're now all hoping that with the watering of this turd with big ten money, something of tangible value and substance can grow and bloom from it. Only time will tell if this will occur.

I feel sorry for programs like UConn and Cincinnati that have achieved consistently at the highest level athletically yet are in an unstable athletic situation. In an ideal world Rutgers would be staying in the AAC or Patriot league and UConn would be in a power conference. Alas, life is not always fair.

We were accepted into the big ten because we can make them money with the BTN carriage fees by securing the Philly and NYC DMAs along with Michigan and PSU (RU, UM, PSU gives a formidable viewership block from Philly to NYC). Our academic profile with our medical school was also a nice bonus for the CIC. From an athletic standpoint we bring some history, tradition and accomplishments but nothing substantial. We have never funded all 27 sports at a 1a level. Even now our BB teams are funded very poorly since throughout the 2000s in order to get FB up to par in d1a we were constantly taking money from BB and putting it into FB.

Until 2000 there was no major athletic funding or focus at RU. This phenomena is relatively new since many still have a patriot league mentality. Until 2007 we used to carry around 32 sports. Until 2000, the goal of sports at Rutgers was not to win, it was to provide students with the greatest selection of sports possible and if we win great! But winning wasn't a priority (patriot/ivy league mentality). That's the reason why we only started playing a d1a schedule after 1980 (with little to no funding for most sports that has only started to change in the 2000s) and why we've consistently performed sub par in many sports for decades at a time. Like anything, if you don't care and don't put any effort into improve something, it likely won't ever improve over time.

Since 2000 we've started to build up our athletic programs from the ground up with very limited resources. Many of the plans for new facilites are in holding patterns due to lack of funds (this was the reason why most of the athletic funds were diverted to FB until around 2010 when Pernetti became AD). The road to building up our 27 athletic program will be long but we'll get there eventually (i'd say it should take another 10yrs with the big ten money rolling in).

But to get back to conference realignment, we lucked out based on our location and pull with the media when we are successful (#1 ratings of any CFB team on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and SNY in NYC DMA while playing teams like UofL, USF, WVU, Arkansas).

We don't deserve it, we were just lucky. That's the best way to put it.

Good luck with your athletics programs and hopefully UConn gets called up to a power conference soon.

This is the first time I've seen an RU fan give an honest assessment of how they ended up in the B1G. Thank you.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, we really don't deserve to be a part of the big ten based on our athletic pedigree. And frankly all the events that occurred after Nov 2012 is a pretty big black eye to the big ten. I am sure they all have buyers remorse (I would be absolutely disgusted if I were in their shoes) but they are now stuck with the piece of turd that is our athletics programs. I guess we're now all hoping that with the watering of this turd with big ten money, something of tangible value and substance can grow and bloom from it. Only time will tell if this will occur.

I feel sorry for programs like UConn and Cincinnati that have achieved consistently at the highest level athletically yet are in an unstable athletic situation. In an ideal world Rutgers would be staying in the AAC or Patriot league and UConn would be in a power conference. Alas, life is not always fair.

We were accepted into the big ten because we can make them money with the BTN carriage fees by securing the Philly and NYC DMAs along with Michigan and PSU (RU, UM, PSU gives a formidable viewership block from Philly to NYC). ...

Since 2000 we've started to build up our athletic programs from the ground up with very limited resources. Many of the plans for new facilites are in holding patterns due to lack of funds (this was the reason why most of the athletic funds were diverted to FB until around 2010 when Pernetti became AD). The road to building up our 27 athletic program will be long but we'll get there eventually (i'd say it should take another 10yrs with the big ten money rolling in).

But to get back to conference realignment, we lucked out based on our location and pull with the media when we are successful (#1 ratings of any CFB team on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and SNY in NYC DMA while playing teams like UofL, USF, WVU, Arkansas).

Good luck with your athletics programs and hopefully UConn gets called up to a power conference soon.

As they say, deserves got nothing to do with it. Rutgers was a good add for the B1G, and the presence of Rutgers there makes UConn a good add, we wouldn't be as good a fit without that regional rival. Rutgers does have to get out of the corruption/patronage/gutter mindset and aim for excellence. Sooner or later, they'll do that. They're competing on a bigger stage and more eyes are upon them. Even immoral, corrupt people behave better when they're being watched. Rutgers will improve.

Reaction Score
Our AD is going to do that, just needs to get more money which is going to happen and to clear out some people.

The budget for our next head coach in football reflects that.

I would love for a real east region of the B1G, adding UCONN really solidifies the B1G's hold on NYC, and sans the AAU status academically UCONN is up there with a lot of the B1G.

And it hurts the ACC. Always a plus.

Reaction Score

We were accepted into the big ten because we can make them money with the BTN carriage fees by securing the Philly and NYC DMAs along with Michigan and PSU (RU, UM, PSU gives a formidable viewership block from Philly to NYC). Our academic profile with our medical school was also a nice bonus for the CIC. From an athletic standpoint we bring some history, tradition and accomplishments but nothing substantial. We have never funded all 27 sports at a 1a level. Even now our BB teams are funded very poorly since throughout the 2000s in order to get FB up to par in d1a we were constantly taking money from BB and putting it into FB.

Until 2000 there was no major athletic funding or focus at RU. This phenomena is relatively new since many still have a patriot league mentality. Until 2007 we used to carry around 32 sports. Until 2000, the goal of sports at Rutgers was not to win, it was to provide students with the greatest selection of sports possible and if we win great! But winning wasn't a priority (patriot/ivy league mentality). That's the reason why we only started playing a d1a schedule after 1980 (with little to no funding for most sports that has only started to change in the 2000s) and why we've consistently performed sub par in many sports for decades at a time. Like anything, if you don't care and don't put any effort into improve something, it likely won't ever improve over time.

In a way, RU does deserve it. Supported almost 150 years of turd athletics, even creating fictional accounts to make themselves feel better about themselves. Impressive.

Reaction Score

Thanks blitz I've been telling some of these guys we pull for them and can relate to their CR issues in NJ. Heck it might have been us on the outside but for dumb ACC moves by their leadership? Thats why I've decided not to rest until UConn's in despite our good fortune. Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom