Rutgers Game | The Boneyard

Rutgers Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was at the game today. Where do I start. The refs were so bad, for both sides. Geno pulled Bria Hartley's jersey on the first time-out , it was bad. He began yelling at both Bria and Kelly. Then pulls entire starters except Stef. Everyone got back in except Bria, she sat the rest of the game. Stewie did not look good at all today, her shooting is so off. She doesn't look at the basket when she pulls ball up to shoot. Tuck at one possession had three people on her and she still trying to shoot instead of looking for open person.Jefferson is coming along nicely. Rutgers has some athletic girls who can shoot off the dribble and gave Uconn problems. Very ugly game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I was at the game today. Where do I start. The refs were so bad, for both sides. Geno pulled Bria Hartley's jersey on the first time-out , it was bad. He began yelling at both Bria and Kelly. Then pulls entire starters except Stef. Everyone got back in except Bria, she sat the rest of the game. Stewie did not look good at all today, her shooting is so off. She doesn't look at the basket when she pulls ball up to shoot. Tuck at one possession had three people on her and she still trying to shoot instead of looking for open person.Jefferson is coming along nicely. Rutgers has some athletic girls who can shoot off the dribble and gave Uconn problems. Very ugly game.

One positive comment. Keep up the good work.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Don't discourage the lad (Lassie?) Doggie. He (She) was at the game.
Some realistic observation even if less than positive is useful and warranted, especially today.

Do I remember that you hadn't even seen the game?

It was pretty brutal at the top; team seemed awful slow with Steff, the only offensive threat through the first time-out. With her 4 points, we were on schedule to hit the 40 that I had ascribed to Rutgers. Effort, but not much production from Kelly and Caroline.

You consistently guard KML at the three-point line and pack it in on Dolson, then someone else has to step up. Today, no one could do that.

The kids did make a difference after the mass substitution but as observed in other threads even Tuck had her awkward moments both on defense and offense until she settled in but Stewie never did and Kiah was invisible.

Yeah, MoJeff's performance was darned positive, she stole the show, along with the ball and changed the whole tenor of the game...along with her thefts, no turnovers and five rebounds!

Then Tuck made 2 bunnies, became more confidant and forceful and we had enough fire-power going to overwhelm the Scarlet Knights.

What does all this mean with regard the game Monday? I have absolutely no idea. And to anyone who says that they can handicap that game, I say good luck (with attitude).

The most positive thing I can think of is that the vets were looking ahead and not focused on current biz, but somehow I don't believe that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Whatever has become of the "new Geno" who doesn't criticize every bad play and just lets them play and relax and have fun?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Don't discourage the lad (Lassie?) Doggie. He (She) was at the game.

I saw the game. And I'm sorry to upset your son. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I will note that from the point where it was 16-8 Rutgers lead at 12:45 we out played and out scored them consistently. We out scored them 57-29, almost a twofer from that point on. In other words, after the horrid start that Geno laid out in flames and warned the team against the day before for 30 minutes the game was pretty normal and as expected. Flip the original 10 minutes and the score becomes 73-37 pretty much a great game at RU. So 10 minutes of nightmare chaos and 30 of ugly but normal dominance.

Geno's assessment of the number of fouls was typical overstatement to make a point. We made 3 fouls in 4 minutes not fouls on all but one possession. Rutgers had 10 points coming out of the first media break when Geno pulled the starters and Stef had 4, Caroline, KML, and Kelly had each missed a 3. Rutgers was disrupting us with their usual D and the starters were not playing with urgency and composure. At 8:08 Stef picked up her 3rd foul being our only effective and consistent offense in the first 6 minutes. With Stef's departure the frosh step up and assert control. The rest was all good.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I will, also, note that once we took the lead at 7:21 in the first half we never relinquished it and after gaining an 11 point lead immediately at 19:32 in the second half Rutgers never pulled within less than 9.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It sounds as though people have never seen a UConn-RU game before. Has there ever been a pretty UConn-RU game?

It's not like C.Viv is fielding a bunch of scrubs. And it doesn't matter how "down" a team is; when it comes to a rivalry anything can happen - see: UConn men vs #6 Syracuse. Let's give RU some credit for controlling the tempo early and playing some stellar D.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It sounds as though people have never seen a UConn-RU game before. Has there ever been a pretty UConn-RU game?

It's not like C.Viv is fielding a bunch of scrubs. And it doesn't matter how "down" a team is; when it comes to a rivalry anything can happen. See: UConn men vs #6 Syracuse. Let's give RU some credit for controlling the tempo early and playing some stellar D.
Agreed, Nan, it wasn't a whole lot different from what I expected. RU's great start hitting some shots straight out of the chute led to a bit of panic by some. It should, also, be noted given the early foul trouble of Stef and the streak of fouls that led to Geno's frustration UConn played very well without fouling most of the game. Consider it point made and received.

Reaction Score
I thought Morgan was great, not perfect.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

It's not like C.Viv is fielding a bunch of scrubs. And it doesn't matter how "down" a team is; when it comes to a rivalry anything can happen. See: UConn men vs #6 Syracuse. Let's give RU some credit for controlling the tempo early and playing some stellar D.
I spent much of the game muttering "This is why I hate watching the UConn-Rutgers games. U-G-L-Y!"

Of course, that didn't stop me from watching...or muttering.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Agreed, Nan, it wasn't a whole lot different from what I expected. RU's great start hitting some shots straight out of the chute led to a bit of panic by some. It should, also, be noted given the early foul trouble of Stef and the streak of fouls that led to Geno's frustration UConn played very well without fouling most of the game. Consider it point made and received.

Hey, I'll admit it. The game was tougher than I thought. But not surprising without Hartley out there. Down 2 guards in a tough environment like the RAC put Jefferson in a tough position and she came through like a veteran. 30 minuts with no turnovers. Fantastic.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It was a typical Rutgers game. Just like Charley Brown I keep hoping for a different outcome, but it's always the same. I was just happy to see that CViv's 900th didn't come at the expense of UConn.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I will note that from the point where it was 16-8 Rutgers lead at 12:45 we out played and out scored them consistently. We out scored them 57-29, almost a twofer from that point on. In other words, after the horrid start that Geno laid out in flames and warned the team against the day before for 30 minutes the game was pretty normal and as expected. Flip the original 10 minutes and the score becomes 73-37 pretty much a great game at RU. So 10 minutes of nightmare chaos and 30 of ugly but normal dominance.

Geno's assessment of the number of fouls was typical overstatement to make a point. We made 3 fouls in 4 minutes not fouls on all but one possession. Rutgers had 10 points coming out of the first media break when Geno pulled the starters and Stef had 4, Caroline, KML, and Kelly had each missed a 3. Rutgers was disrupting us with their usual D and the starters were not playing with urgency and composure. At 8:08 Stef picked up her 3rd foul being our only effective and consistent offense in the first 6 minutes. With Stef's departure the frosh step up and assert control. The rest was all good.
If you flip the UConn-ND score around, we beat them this year.

Reaction Score
I spent much of the game muttering "This is why I hate watching the UConn-Rutgers games. U-G-L-Y!"

Of course, that didn't stop me from watching...or muttering.
Speaking of UGLY, I saw some of the facial expressions on c-viv that would scare a buzzard off a gut wagon!

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or does Brianna look like she's always looking over at Geno after she makes a bad play? Seems like the kid is more worried about Geno than just playing like she is capable of.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
.Is it just me, or does Brianna look like she's always looking over at Geno after she makes a bad play? Seems like the kid is more worried about Geno than just playing like she is capable of.

I remember someone doing that in the past... Just can't remember who...help someone

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Although the fouls were an issue during the 1st 5 minutes, it was more than that. As for the fouls, there were two that I'm sure incensed Geno. Doty knocked Laney over trying to go for an impossible (for her) steal after the team was playing great half-court defense, and Faris fouled Richardson on a prayer of a shot that had a 20% chance of going in. The other stuff was Hartley losing Davis (badly) on a switch which resulted in a 3, Doty taking an ill-advised quick 3 from the corner on the first possession, Doty's pass to Dolson's feet in the lane and Faris making a lazy pass to an open KML in the lane. Rutgers came out focused and with intensity and all but Dolson didn't match it during the 1st 5 minutes. Sounds like Geno's frustration started during some bad practices Thurs and Friday. Tuck and Moriah were really good. I don't know what to say about Stewart. She's not making her 3s which means she need to go in the lane to score and that's where she's most uncomfortable right now. The coaches know she's thin and not as strong as many defenders right now, but part of it is going in there with the mentality that I'm going to take the contact and score and/or be fouled, or I'm going to go in there and fight for offensive rebounds. It doesn' look like she's playing with that mentality right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom