Rutgers bully scandal | The Boneyard

Rutgers bully scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He called him a pus sy? The fact that he is complaining about being called a pu ssy, makes him a pus sy. Sorry, its still football man. Its college football at that.

Reaction Score
He called him a pus sy? The fact that he is complaining about being called a pu ssy, makes him a pus sy. Sorry, its still football man. Its college football at that.

Read the whole thing. Context. The coach needed a whipping boy and picked the least likely to retaliate. Then they didn't have the decency to let him know he wasn't in their plans so just continued to humiliate him. What should happen? Don't know but glad they publicized it. Maybe you think that's good coaching and good leadership.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Anyone who disagrees with that should melt down their participation trophies and start producing these:

perpetual-trophies-3hN2Dh.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It sure seems to me that if this is going to be a new standard for bullying in football (this = being called names and getting yelled at by coaches or teammates during practices/games), then we are going to see TONS of lawsuits in the near future.

Reaction Score
Pretty soon we're going to have a scandal where people are accusing drill sergeants of bullying. What the hell has happened to society?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pretty soon we're going to have a scandal where people are accusing drill sergeants of bullying. What the hell has happened to society?

Too late. Already been done. Having recruits sing nursery rhymes to build cohesion is now a career-ending offense. Sailor will never promote again and will either be denied re-enlistment or be forced out at his high year tenure.

Never mind that the purpose of singing the nursery rhymes is to get them all sick and tired of singing stupid kid's songs and learn the military cadences. The point being until you put in the time and effort to learn the cadences you can sing nursery rhymes instead.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130925/NEWS/309250020

The recruit division commander who forced his recruits to recite nursery rhymes abused his power and deserved to be punished, the head of Naval Service Training Command told Navy Times.

“The idea is to teach humility and selfless-service without sacrificing self-worth, and if we find that someone is attempting to instill militarization using techniques that don’t conform to those principals, then it’s out of line,” said Rear Adm. Dee Mewbourne in a Sept. 19 interview.

Based on the admissions of the unnamed sailor — a machinist’s mate first class with eight years of service — nursery rhymes were his preferred form of punishment while training recruits at Great Lakes, Ill.

A Navy report states the MM1 admitted to:

■ Ordering a recruit to sing “Itsy Bitsy Spider” while performing what the Navy described as a “Soldier Boy” dance.

■ Ordering two recruits to stand on one foot and wave an arm while reciting “I’m a Little Teapot.”

■ Ordering two recruits to recite “Jack and Jill.”

He also admitted to non-nursery rhyme tactics: He reportedly propped a ruler on a recruit’s ball cap and instructed the recruit not to let it fall. He also woke up two sleeping recruits, one by brushing dog tags across the recruit’s face and another by removing the recruit’s pillow.

Reaction Score
On the field is one thing. In study hall is not acceptable. Humiliation is not in the motivating handbook.

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers just brings a knife to every PR gunfight.

All of this might stem from some playing time disagreement or whatever, but instead of just sticking to some firm story, Rutgers is now in a mudfight where they likely cannot defend their own claims. And now you have Hermann out there just looking shakier than shaky.

This ends poorly for Hermann. Maybe not now, but it ultimately, it ends poorly for her.

Reaction Score
While I don't like a kid a crying about coaches talking rough to a player, RU just has a thing hiring PR disaster coaches, Bannon, Rice, now this, not to mention Germans Hermans past issues. Just bizzare.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If I was the president, I'd tell the AD to shut up and hire an independent firm to investigate the claim. They've already been burned on the bully front once, guilty or not this just looks bad.

On a brighter note, settlements are easier to pay with B1G money than AAC money so they have that.

Reaction Score
This story made Cincinnati's 'bullying' of Rutgers even more enjoyable than it would have been. And that was already a lot.

Reaction Score
Too late. Already been done. Having recruits sing nursery rhymes to build cohesion is now a career-ending offense. Sailor will never promote again and will either be denied re-enlistment or be forced out at his high year tenure.

Never mind that the purpose of singing the nursery rhymes is to get them all sick and tired of singing stupid kid's songs and learn the military cadences. The point being until you put in the time and effort to learn the cadences you can sing nursery rhymes instead.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130925/NEWS/309250020

The recruit division commander who forced his recruits to recite nursery rhymes abused his power and deserved to be punished, the head of Naval Service Training Command told Navy Times.

“The idea is to teach humility and selfless-service without sacrificing self-worth, and if we find that someone is attempting to instill militarization using techniques that don’t conform to those principals, then it’s out of line,” said Rear Adm. Dee Mewbourne in a Sept. 19 interview.

Based on the admissions of the unnamed sailor — a machinist’s mate first class with eight years of service — nursery rhymes were his preferred form of punishment while training recruits at Great Lakes, Ill.

A Navy report states the MM1 admitted to:

■ Ordering a recruit to sing “Itsy Bitsy Spider” while performing what the Navy described as a “Soldier Boy” dance.

■ Ordering two recruits to stand on one foot and wave an arm while reciting “I’m a Little Teapot.”

■ Ordering two recruits to recite “Jack and Jill.”

He also admitted to non-nursery rhyme tactics: He reportedly propped a ruler on a recruit’s ball cap and instructed the recruit not to let it fall. He also woke up two sleeping recruits, one by brushing dog tags across the recruit’s face and another by removing the recruit’s pillow.

wow...

I was in the Navy so this strikes a nerve. Stuff like that is stuff that we would laugh about. That stuff is so freaking tame it's absolutely ridiculous. We "made it rain" while in boot camp. It's where all the windows in the room were closed and we are then forced to do 8 count body builders repeatedly till there is so much humidity and sweat in the air it starts dripping from places. You start sliding in your own sweat while doing pushups. You're fatigued beyond anything you can ever remember and you damn well will make sure you never ever do what caused you to have that punishment. We also were forced to drink two entire canteen full of water (which was freaking gross because your canteens are cleaned out with a bleach solution so your water always has the hint of that in the background) and hold it upside down over your head to verify you drank it. Then we started the 45 minute long march to the galley for chow. It was one of the hardest damn marches we had to do and when we got there we spent our time waiting in line to pee it out and not getting to eat.

Singing a little nursery rhyme is nothing and I wouldve gladly of rather of had that punishment other than what we had to go through. Now I am not criticizing the punishments I did have, it made us stronger people for going through it. This whole freaking world is going soft, and I am not saying this as a grizzled old man, I am 34.

I have two sons right now and it seems like I have to spend an extraordinary amount of effort in trying to raise them to not be entitled spoiled brats. From participation ribbons to all, to anti bullying campaigns which teach people nothing in how to actually deal with a problem to over the top efforts in trying to effectively turn kids into bubble kids as everything seems to be harmful for them according to some people, it's just overhwhelming.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Read the whole thing. Context. The coach needed a whipping boy and picked the least likely to retaliate. Then they didn't have the decency to let him know he wasn't in their plans so just continued to humiliate him. What should happen? Don't know but glad they publicized it. Maybe you think that's good coaching and good leadership.

Puss*y

Reaction Score
Apparently most of the previous posters don't feel the need to read the actual article before ditto-heading into their talking points.

And that's what kinda happens when you decide to cover up for the and smear the kid and his family.
I hope their not lawyering up?Seems to be this generations way to make a buck when they can't cut it? Can I sue my old Drill Instructer still after 45 years? I hope they only ask for what they said they wanted ? To complete his sophomore year and a transfer out. If thats the case I'm alright with it.Outside of that though I think they need to clean out the whole nest there at RU as KF is clearly out of his element even though he's a nice guy...maybe too nice?Similar in some respects to PP in character.

Reaction Score
While I don't like a kid a crying about coaches talking rough to a player, RU just has a thing hiring PR disaster coaches, Bannon, Rice, now this, not to mention Germans Hermans past issues. Just bizzare.
You guys are using the same research firm in seeking your new FB coach that RU did that gave us JH.

Reaction Score
You guys are using the same research firm in seeking your new FB coach that RU did that gave us JH.
Did they also give you Bannon, Fred Hill Jr, and Mike Rice? Forgot about Hill shouting obscenities at the opposing team at a big east baseball game. If the did, we probably shouldn't use them.

Reaction Score

Same one that gave RU Tim Pernettii too..

Rutgers knew what they were getting and ignored the red flags.

Reaction Score
I hope no one actually thinks there is a story here. This kid showed up to us out of shape, redshirted and was never mentioned at all despite having our entire secondary injured. It means he couldn't play at the D1 level. So he quits and pulls the "bullying card" (replacing the old race card). Big deal, a coach called you 2 explitives. It's college football, where scholarship athletes live like kings. I've see multiple practices at D1 schools, including UCONN. Kids get their asses chewed out all the time.

Its a story because our home town newspaper tries to create a mountain out of a molehill whenever they can (Star Ledger - partially owned by a Syracuse alum) and ESPN is pissed that the BTN is going to have a bigger footprint in what they thought was an ACC market. Follow the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom