Russia / Canada | The Boneyard

Russia / Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That most Muscovite of Russian womanhood, Becky Hammon, took over the game with her dribble-drives, pull-ups and smart distribution, half way through the 4th quarter and the Russian team overcame a ten-point deficit to win by 5 over a shocked Canadian team that had threatened to win virtually wire to wire.

Reaction Score
Nauseating.

I'm disgusted with people playing for Uzbekistan because their great-grandfather once thought about having an affair with an Uzbek belly dancer, and similar asininities.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada has been doing reasonably well in the latest FIBA Championships and regional tournaments. If they get a couple of more players they might be able to compete for a Medal.

Becky Hammon is a player that can keep Russia in any game they play against any team. If she gets hot she's deadly.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Didn't Hammond get paid a substantial amount of money to play for Russia?

Reaction Score
Nauseating.

I'm disgusted with people playing for Uzbekistan because their great-grandfather once thought about having an affair with an Uzbek belly dancer, and similar asininities.
Wonk, I agree with what you're saying, but I can also understand a young woman--or man, for that matter--who wants to compete in the Olympics to make such an arrangement, especially as they get some years on them, like Becky...sorry Becky!

Reaction Score
She got an increase in pay from from her Russia club team because her new Russia citzenship made her eligible to play as a Russian in the Russian league where multiple Russians have to be on the court at all times and she counted as European in Euroleague.

Interestingly enough Hammon is the only one that has been dedicated enough to actually earn that extra money. Players like Deanna Nolan and Epiphanny Prince took the same deal, but Beck Hammon is the only one that has played for Russia in an international event. Now only one of them can be on the team in an international event, but the others haven't exactly been dedicated to and cooperative with their new motherland.
Didn't Hammond get paid a substantial amount of money to play for Russia?

Reaction Score
I remember when I thought Becky was just a pretty face...times have sure changed!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Personally, i'm more nauseated by faux Americans who compete for the US.

Reaction Score
Nauseating.

Don't go knocking Uzbek belly dancers, Wonkster...have a little decorum! ;)

Reaction Score
Faux athletes...

1962TennisPlayerBarbie.jpg

1998MajorLeagueBaseballBarb.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the USA game, did anyone notice #7 for Croatia? It was none other than Lisa Karcic, recent alumna of Villanova and the Big East. As I recall, she hails from the Balkan hinterland around Scarsdale, NY.

I don't see why we should be critical of American athletes who take whatever opportunity presents itself to participate in an event as momentous as the Olympics. That includes Becky Hammon, who arguably is good enough to have been the third PG on the US team.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In the USA game, did anyone notice #7 for Croatia? It was none other than Lisa Karcic, recent alumna of Villanova and the Big East. As I recall, she hails from the Balkan hinterland around Scarsdale, NY.

I don't see why we should be critical of American athletes who take whatever opportunity presents itself to participate in an event as momentous as the Olympics. That includes Becky Hammon, who arguably is good enough to have been the third PG on the US team.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'm not one who is seething at BH for taking the oppt to play, but the Games are by definition a nationalist thing. The prospect of having to play against Team USA would make it a nonstarter for me. IMO you're playing on behalf of your country first, and as an individual competitor second. My 2 cents

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Such as?

Haven't seen the stats for this Olympics: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/2008-07-18-immigrants_N.htm

As the U.S. struggles with immigration policy, Americans will get a chance next month to see their melting-pot nation through the prism of foreign-born athletes competing in USA uniforms at the Beijing Olympics.
There are at least 33 of them, compared to 27 at the 2004 Summer Games, according to the U.S. Olympic Committee, which didn't track the statistic before then. They include four Chinese-born table tennis players, a kayaker from Britain, Russian-born world champion gymnast Nastia Liukin and seven members of the track-and-field team.
For those seeking symbolism, it's hard to top the men's 1,500-meter squad — Kenya native Bernard Lagat; Lopez Lomong, one of the "lost boys" of Sudan's civil war who spent a decade in a refugee camp; and Leo Manzano, a Mexican laborer's son who moved to the U.S. when he was 4 but didn't gain citizenship until 2004.
"It's a magical time," said U.S. men's track coach, Bubba Thornton. "I'm glad that these young men found their way here. It may just remind us all of where we came from, and how hard the struggle may have been, and how big the dream was to be here."
Within their sport, the three 1,500-meter runners have been warmly embraced, as have other immigrants among the 596 U.S. Olympic athletes.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Assuming that these people are naturalized American citizens, how can they be described as "faux Americans"?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm delighted that Becky is playing in the olympics and thriving. She's not ever been mentioned (as far as I can remember) for the US team and for today at least, outplayed all the guards that crossed my TV. What a tour de force; feeding, court generalship and scoring. Great Show!

Just hope she doesn't have such a game against us.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... but the Games are by definition a nationalist thing. The prospect of having to play against Team USA would make it a nonstarter for me. IMO you're playing on behalf of your country first, and as an individual competitor second...

- Right on target, as usual, Mike.
-Coach Auriemma and our team USA WBB players have consistently been making that point all month.
- Seems’ that’s still the point of the winning nations’ anthem played, plus its flag ceremonially displayed above the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom