Rumour on NC State board about Notre Dame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumour on NC State board about Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Those are the schools from the AAC that are in the north and the likely choices because the ACC looked there before, but there are others to the south if the ACC chooses to look there instead:

South Florida
Central Florida
Memphis
Tulane
Houston
SMU
Rice

The Florida schools are in an overlap state, but it is big state. If academics enter back into the equation, then you're looking at:

Navy
Connecticut
Tulane
SMU
Rice

You should be banned forever for mentioning Rice. And if you need to ask why, you should be banned for two forevers.

Add Memphis. And then rename yourself the ACCCC (Atlantic Coast Community College Conference).

Reaction Score
I should have stopped at "NC State board".

However, this is the type of rumor I expect to see floating around as positioning for the B1G contract starts to heat up.

What makes this rumor interesting to me is that it's not implausible because you have a situation where all the parties may have something the other parties want and/or need.

Notre Dame may have decided they need a conference/a 13th game/whatever and it may be time to bite the bullet. (This is the weakest 'need' of the bunch.)

ESPN needs to get the ACC Net launched and that means carriage--Comcast/NBC can provide cable carriage. Also, ESPN may be worried that NBC will go berserk bidding B1G rights like they're the Olympics or something and can undercut NBC's perceived need and appetite.

Comcast/NBC is pretty lean on college football and would undoubtedly like a chance to reposition themselves.

Throw this all in the grinder and yeah, I could see something happening: I don't buy the NBC gets ACC Net, but I could see a deal along the lines of NBC gets to broadcast games as in "The ACC Network on NBC" and has to provide Comcast carriage or be in the highly odd position of having to advertise aggressively a net that Comcast doesn't carry. That also may preemptively sate NBC's appetite to bid up the B1G rights. ESPN gets the ACC Net up and running with a large chunk of the carriage issue immediately solved (maybe with some Domer content to ESPN is they even care), and Notre Dame gets whatever it is they really want. NOT being B1G or whatever.

Anyway, its interesting to consider on a slow news day.

Reaction Score
I should have stopped at "NC State board".

However, this is the type of rumor I expect to see floating around as positioning for the B1G contract starts to heat up.

What makes this rumor interesting to me is that it's not implausible because you have a situation where all the parties may have something the other parties want and/or need.

Notre Dame may have decided they need a conference/a 13th game/whatever and it may be time to bite the bullet. (This is the weakest 'need' of the bunch.)

ESPN needs to get the ACC Net launched and that means carriage--Comcast/NBC can provide cable carriage. Also, ESPN may be worried that NBC will go berserk bidding B1G rights like they're the Olympics or something and can undercut NBC's perceived need and appetite.

Comcast/NBC is pretty lean on college football and would undoubtedly like a chance to reposition themselves.

Throw this all in the grinder and yeah, I could see something happening: I don't buy the NBC gets ACC Net, but I could see a deal along the lines of NBC gets to broadcast games as in "The ACC Network on NBC" and has to provide Comcast carriage or be in the highly odd position of having to advertise aggressively a net that Comcast doesn't carry. That also may preemptively sate NBC's appetite to bid up the B1G rights. ESPN gets the ACC Net up and running with a large chunk of the carriage issue immediately solved (maybe with some Domer content to ESPN is they even care), and Notre Dame gets whatever it is they really want. NOT being B1G or whatever.

Anyway, its interesting to consider on a slow news day.

No, it doesn't. Sure, it doesn't want to be part of the Big Ten but it particularly does not want its football program to be a member of any conference.

Reaction Score
You should be banned forever for mentioning Rice. And if you need to ask why, you should be banned for two forevers.

Add Memphis. And then rename yourself the ACCCC (Atlantic Coast Community College Conference).
I read a post where the guy suggested a Big 12 vertical expansion as opposed to horizontal. Adding Rice as the Big 12's Northwestern and Vandy. I am not suggesting it, but I did think it was an interesting angle.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If we get passed over for Rice... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Might as well invite Yale too.

All I know is I'm getting sick of these rumors, especially these British "rumours" on an also-ran-P5-member's board re: Leprechauns.

I want results!

Reaction Score
Now, he posted this:

OK, I have been given the proverbial green light to make public the 4 possible teams to be the ACC 16th member. They are:

1. Texas

2. Penn St.

3. Navy

4. Cincinatti

In that order. WVU and UConn have NO chance. From what I hear, it is bonkers at ESPN - afraid of losing their stranglehold on college sports broadcasting.

Regards,

'81

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Now, he posted this:

OK, I have been given the proverbial green light to make public the 4 possible teams to be the ACC 16th member. They are:

1. Texas

2. Penn St.

3. Navy

4. Cincinatti

In that order. WVU and UConn have NO chance. From what I hear, it is bonkers at ESPN - afraid of losing their stranglehold on college sports broadcasting.

Regards,

'81

Lol. Well the ACC has NO chance as it pertains to Texas and Penn St. And we have been number 1 or 2 on the shortlist every other time until being torpedoed every time. But this time, with even less candidates from which to choose, we fail to make even the top four. Oooooooooooookay :confused:

Oh and imagine those Navy-UNC basketball games. Those are gonna be some real tight contests. The American didn't even want Navy women's tennis, but the ACC does? Lolololololololololol.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
It must be fun to just make up stuff and post on the internet to make yourself look like an "insider". ND is not going to the ACC full time anytime soon, Penn State or any other BIG school would never leave for the ACC.

Reaction Score
Now, he posted this:

1. Texas

2. Penn St.

3. Navy

4. Cincinatti

Regards,

'81

I can see UConn not being in the top 4 potential ACC additions just because it supports rule #1 in Conference realignment. I expect that Cincinnati is in the top 4, quite possibly the #1 choice. Navy as a football only, possibly linked to Georgetown in all other sports, maybe. Navy as a full member? No a chance. Penn St may complain from time to time about the B1G; but, no way on earth they are leaving the money and stability of the B1G for the ACC. Only way Texas joins is if they get a special deal and bring half of the XII with them, none of whom want to.

Reaction Score
Who's the Uconn message board insider?
Is the position open?
Why does it seem that everyone that has an insider is sitting comfortably in a P5 conference?

pj

Reaction Score
We have Fishy but, like Eeyore, he only delivers bad news.

Reaction Score
The only way we would have "no chance" at #16 is if we were already spoken for and not willing to move.

Reaction Score
The only way we would have "no chance" at #16 is if we were already spoken for and not willing to move.
I think you're underestimating how much BC and Cuse do not want UCONN on a level playing field and the ends they will go to to block the necessary votes should a situation arise where the ACC expands.

Reaction Score
I think you're underestimating how much BC and Cuse do not want UCONN on a level playing field and the ends they will go to to block the necessary votes should a situation arise where the ACC expands.
Well we are really going to have to tank as an athletic program to be on the same level as BC and Cuse.

Reaction Score
Well we are really going to have to tank as an athletic program to be on the same level as BC and Cuse.
Agreed. BC hasn't been on the same level in quite some time and SU....well SU pretty much sealed its fate.

Reaction Score

and in the case of Syracuse... tank the academic program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom