Rumour on NC State board about Notre Dame | The Boneyard

Rumour on NC State board about Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to the "rumor" the ACC has 4 schools in sight for being #16 IF ND becomes a full member. Once you eliminate any desirable school that has Grant of Rights issues, you've left with these more likely candidates, in my opinion:

Cincinnati
Navy
Connecticut
Temple

I don't see anyone from the SEC joining. They have a great deal and Disney isn't going to allow any departures from there.

As far as NBC into a network, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reaction Score
The clown is a joke. He indicates NBC is owned by GE. A dude in wolf clothing

Reaction Score
The clown is a joke. He indicates NBC is owned by GE. A dude in wolf clothing

Maybe he did not see the GE and Comcast deal in 2013. Oh well, he might one of those guys who watches mike and mike, rather cnbc.

Reaction Score
Oh...every board has a myth running. This is from the Texas board and they are scoffing as well:

Been sitting on this information for a few months but finally have the balls to post it. I have someone who I will just call a "business associate".

He is very prominent and well known in the Southeast. He is actually based in Atlanta but does a ton of business in Nashville, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, and Birmingham. One of "those guys" who knows everyone. A Good ole boy so to speak. He has a ton of relationships and has been doing business with the SEC office, their vendors, sponsors, everyone you can think of for over 20 years.

I've been able to forge a working relationship with him over the past two years and for some reason, he has taken to me. He knows I'm a die hard longhorn fan and we banter back and forth. He went to a big time basketball school in another conference and gives me $#@! all the time about Barnes. Real cool guy once you get to know him.

He's heard that some of the items sitting on the new SEC commissioners desk once Slive officially retires will be the continued investment in the SEC network as well as working with CBS. They are also looking to enhance their basketball profile. Apparently, to accomplish these goals the SEC is going to pursue Texas and Kansas.

The SEC network is doing well but they feel they can do a lot better. The Texas market is already one of the most profitable for ESPN for the SEC but if Texas was added, that could probably at least triple the revenue. There is a feeling Charlie Strong is going get Texas back to a powerhouse in the next three or so years. There is a feeling Texas basketball will also be on an uptick. So the thought is to strike while the iron is hot and both CBS and ESPN can cash in on this new upswing from Texas.

CBS: Wants more Tier 1 inventory. If the divisions were structured in a certain way, CBS could add a nationally televised game involving Texas in September (Arky/LSU?), October (OU), and November (Aggy) to their portfolio. The SEC could restructure the divisions and put both Texas and Kansas with aggy, lsu, arky, lsu, ole miss, miss state. This will move Bama and Auburn to the East.

ESPN: They will get more Texas games on their family of networks, including the SEC network and LHN. LHN might absorb into the SEC network one day if this should happen.

KU: Adds an elite basketball reputation to go with UK and Florida. I was told Kansas has a "LHN Light" arrangement with ESPN 3 that is very profitable. The Kansas profile for basketball would be felt from the Texas markets, the Kansas City/St. Louis/Chicago markets, all the way up the Eastern Seaboard.

So apparently the SEC, ESPN, CBS are going to put their heads together and try to convince both schools to make a jump via back channels. it won't play out publicly. They know this will be a longshot because we are very happy in the Big 12, there is some anti-SEC sentiment among both UT and Kansas, and there are some huge political and legal hurdles that include the eventual dismantling of the big 12 as it stands today and the collateral damage that could be done to other state schools for both parties as well as the shakeup of college football. But, they feel the economics would back up such a move.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
According to the "rumor" the ACC has 4 schools in sight for being #16 IF ND becomes a full member. Once you eliminate any desirable school that has Grant of Rights issues, you've left with these more likely candidates, in my opinion:

Cincinnati
Navy
Connecticut
Temple

I don't see anyone from the SEC joining. They have a great deal and Disney isn't going to allow any departures from there.

So it'll be Cincinnati. Because they're not taking Navy for full membership and Temple isn't as desirable as Cincy. And then there's us...

Reaction Score
So it'll be Cincinnati. Because they're not taking Navy for full membership and Temple isn't as desirable as Cincy. And then there's us...

Have to agree. Navy carries national value in football and has a decent lax program; but, they are not competitive in basketball and other sports. Outside of football, their sports fit in well with BU, Lehigh, Colgate, Holy Cross, etc. Temple fills a mid-Atlantic need for the ACC; but, Temple is squeezed out in its own market in football (Penn St) and basketball (Villanova) and needs to decide what it wants to be athletically as playing football at Lincoln is not a long-term viable option (it is doubtful that their $100 million+ on-campus stadium of 30K will get approves) plus its other field sports are played in the burbs 15 miles away. Thus, that leaves UConn and Cincinnati and if history has taught UConn fans anything, we all know how that vote will go.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I could see the Texas to the SEC as a desire of ESPN/CBS, but not as part of a BB play. More of a steal from Fox situation.

It would have to happen after the B1G contract reup. It is happened before, then Fox would be forced to spend whatever it took to land 100% of the B1G media rights. ESPN, doesn't want that.

I doubt Texas would jump for all the Texas self important reasons previously discussed.

As for ND, this is their game my ACC friends. They are planning a contingency to move to the ACC only if they are squeezed out of a playoff. Since that is not likely to happen, they will stay indy and do whatever it takes to stay that way.

You'll see. The first domino would be no foreseeable playoff expansion and the death of either the ACC or B12. Neither is eminent.

pj

Reaction Score
So should I hang up my ACC banner or not?

Yes. Every Notre Dame fan will want to have the complete "Notre Dame collection" of banners from conferences that Notre Dame was once a member of, and left. When Notre Dame is in the B1G it will be a collector's item.

Reaction Score
As for ND, this is their game my ACC friends. They are planning a contingency to move to the ACC only if they are squeezed out of a playoff. Since that is not likely to happen, they will stay indy and do whatever it takes to stay that way.

You'll see. The first domino would be no foreseeable playoff expansion and the death of either the ACC or B12. Neither is eminent.

Which is why the pending votes on the playoff system will be very interesting to watch. Should the (inevitable) proposal to expand the playoffs to 8 games, will the ACC vote for it knowing it helps gets more ACC teams into the playoff; but, will allow ND to stay independent (at least until the P5 becomes the P4) or against it knowing it hurts their playoff changes; but, likely forces ND to go to the ACC full-time.

Reaction Score
It seems like every time a rumor pops up and the teams to be added are discussed, UConn is treated like a punchline. Even on a freaking NC State message board and what are they bringing to the table?

What's up with that? I know our football is terrible right now but it's like people actually think we're at UMass level.

I really think us getting in conference realignment time and again has hurt our image. The more rounds happen without us being picked up, the worse we look.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
RaleighWolves
6th Man
4550 posts this site
RaleighWolves.gif

Re: Reliable Source: ND to ACC in FB 2016 - NBC to host ACC N...
Saturday at 1:32 PM

packman1981 wrote:
There is SPECULATION about who would be the 16th team. Cannot comment at this time.

'81

Texa$
Uconn
EZSchmo
or
Penn State

Can't figure out what EZSchmo is supposed to be referring to.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Can't figure out what EZSchmo is supposed to be referring to.

I thought ECU too. That would be great for the ACC. A fifth North Carolina team!

Reaction Score
Any time you read something from a NC State source keep in mind that this is the group who were convinced that Tom O'Brien would take them to the FB promised land when they hired him away from "the school that must not be named".

Reaction Score
I've often considered KU as a darkhorse possibility for The SEC. They are the perfect western couter balance for UK in the East. They would also add another great rivalry to the conference. The idea that Texas is already in bed w/ESPN for The LHN, makes their eventual joining a possibility, however remote it might be.

Reaction Score

Cincinnati
Navy
Connecticut
Temple

Those are the schools from the AAC that are in the north and the likely choices because the ACC looked there before, but there are others to the south if the ACC chooses to look there instead:

South Florida
Central Florida
Memphis
Tulane
Houston
SMU
Rice

The Florida schools are in an overlap state, but it is big state. If academics enter back into the equation, then you're looking at:

Navy
Connecticut
Tulane
SMU
Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics