Rumors from our favorite rumor mongers getting interesting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rumors from our favorite rumor mongers getting interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
You jump UConn over UNC in several ways. First is the contiguousness thing. Don't think of that constraining, bygone days definition, bordering states, though. Gotta think about "territory" as the key. In the midwest, states are relatively large compared to the east. Territory is a better way to think of the concept of a tight geographic connection when it comes to the east. UVA and UConn occupy that same geographic entity known as the Northeast Megalopolis (or Super Region, or whatever) and have a contiguous association that way. In the sense of a super region as the determining quality for contiguousness, it is UNC that's not contiguous, not UConn.

Or, try brainstorming the problems likely to emerge as the B1G attempts to fit UNC into the conference. Things like what will the B10 do to overcome the "they're not like us" resistence sure to arise among the locals. The "who the hell do they think they are?" The "why did we ever leave the ACC" or "we should have joined the SEC" grumblings headed the B1G's way if UNC doesn't come roaring out of the shoot. And speaking of the SEC, what is the B1G going to do when the SEC adds NC State and starts eating the B1G's lunch with a better product from a more trusted supplier? How are they going to re-burnish a tarnished image if they become a local laughing stock in North Carolina? What are they going to do when Virginia games start getting waled on by VaTech's SEC contests? Are they ready to put their Va acquisition in harms way too?

What about the NYC strategy? Think Rutgers can deliver all of New York? I'd love to see the business plan for that. Humongous New York, out farther than the B1G's outlier member can expect to have contests of local interest? There may be some B1G alums in the Apple but no where enough to spin the advertisers' turnstiles. You can't maximize your NYC investment with Rutgers alone.

Besides all that, UNC is going to be seriously hard to pry out of their playpen. Of all the ACC teams that have realistic shots of competing elsewhere, UNC would probably be the most difficult to convince to move. They've been king there. It's hard to abdicate being king.

But really, all you need to know is New York City. Who is the B1G going to add to get the best return from NYC. Answer that and you'll answer who the next target is.

€uck me, Registered...you're telling us Notre Dame is Delaney's next target???

And here all along I thought you were promoting Connecticut's candidacy to the B1G. Thanks for getting my hopes up.

You're no longer my favorite poster....

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Just reread Nate Silver's blog on CR. According to him, GT has a bigger fanbase than UGA. Can that be right? GT is twice the size of VA which is bigger than UConn. That would be my worry.
You ever been to Atlanta? I went there for one of the UConn football games and let me tell you, UGA outnumbers GT 2-1 in people wearing gear and merchandise on sale (not counting the immediate GT area).

Reaction Score
Just reread Nate Silver's blog on CR. According to him, GT has a bigger fanbase than UGA. Can that be right? GT is twice the size of VA which is bigger than UConn. That would be my worry.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...icks#project=COLLEGES1106&articleTabs=article
SB10001424052970203846804578101281578171860.html

This link says its 45% UGA to 14% GT

PJ-BK660C_COLLE_G_20121105205222.jpg

Reaction Score
€uck me, Registered...you're telling us Notre Dame is Delaney's next target???

And here all along I thought you were promoting Connecticut's candidacy to the B1G. Thanks for getting my hopes up.

You're no longer my favorite poster....

Seems like everybody's been saying ND has been Delany's target since forever. I hope your post was delivered in jest.

The tea leaves I'm reading spell out UConn and UVA every time. I've even posted that I don't think the B1G is interested in ND anymore. That ship has sailed. They spent too much time wandering in the wilderness before Kelly was hired. What's to guarantee they won't go right back once he leaves?

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Seems like everybody's been saying ND has been Delany's target since forever. I hope your post was delivered in jest.

The tea leaves I'm reading spell out UConn and UVA every time. I've even posted that I don't think the B1G is interested in ND anymore. That ship has sailed. They spent too much time wandering in the wilderness before Kelly was hired. What's to guarantee they won't go right back once he leaves?

It was; so dont worry, you're still my favorite poster.

But I do think ND is Delaney's top choice. Basically, ND gets the BTN on EVERYWHERE.

But I also think Connecticut is in Delaney's dream 20 team model, and he'd be happy include Connecticut in an 18-team league.

Where you and I seem to disagree most is over UNC.

pj

Reaction Score
It was; so dont worry, you're still my favorite poster.

But I do think ND is Delaney's top choice. Basically, ND gets the BTN on EVERYWHERE.

But I also think Connecticut is in Delaney's dream 20 team model, and he'd be happy include Connecticut in an 18-team league.

Where you and I seem to disagree most is over UNC.

Favorites excluding SEC/B12 teams: 1) ND; 2) UNC (but only with UVa); 3) UVa; 4) UConn; 5) Ga Tech (but only with UNC); 6) Duke (but only with UNC); 7) FSU (but only with Ga Tech etc).

That puts UConn in if the B1G goes to 18, and probably paired with UVa when the B1G goes to 16 if UNC and ND decline to jump immediately, which they likely would.

Reaction Score

If by "wandering in the wilderness," you mean "remained the single largest economic force in college football by a wide margin despite not getting it done on the field," then spot on dude.

Reaction Score
If by "wandering in the wilderness," you mean "remained the single largest economic force in college football by a wide margin despite not getting it done on the field," then spot on dude.

Actually, I meant not getting it done on the field because resting on one's laurels isn't a viable long term strategy. Surviving on the seed corn can only sustain you for so long.

Reaction Score
[quote="RegisteredUconn, post: 492457, member: 1477" Surviving on the seed corn can only sustain you for so long.[/quote]

That is literally true. But the "for so long" period will be at least two more generations.

Reaction Score
I could be totally wrong, but I have felt since November and how the whole last cycle of realignment played out, from our administration's silence and inferred apathy to how espn and the ACC promoted Louisville and their assumed selection "over" us, were all signs that point towards UConn always being in the Big 10's plan. Actions speak louder than words, and UConns actions since then hint at only one direction. Personally, I dont think the Big 10 ever looked at Maryland and Rutgers as stand alone additions. To me, they were the initial step, for whatever silly reasons they may have had, to locking in the NYC and DC markets. In translation, to me, when the Big 10 decided on the latest round of realignment, their plan all along was to include Rutgers then UCONN and Maryland then UVA, in that order. So as we think back to when it felt like UConns world was imploding and Louisville was chosen over us, we can interpret that as a desperate attempt by both school(Louisville) and conference(ACC) to justify their existence, but we all know it was just panic. More than just hoping that my thoughts are proved true, I really hope one day it is leaked out that UCONN said no to the ACC, not vice versa.

They were doing the happy dance all over campus when it was "inevitable" UConn was going to the ACC. They did not, I repeat, did not turn down the ACC and were blind sided by the UL invite.

But one can dream.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
They were doing the happy dance all over campus when it was "inevitable" UConn was going to the ACC. They did not, I repeat, did not turn down the ACC and were blind sided by the UL invite.

But one can dream.

Are you and Fishy sharing the same "sources" these days?

Reaction Score
I dont think anyone believes they turned down an invitation. They never received one. The question is why didnt they? I contend it is because the ACC heard rumblings that UConn was going in a different direction.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I dont think anyone believes they turned down an invitation. They never received one. The question is why didnt they? I contend it is because the ACC heard rumblings that UConn was going in a different direction.
Any basis for that contention? Anything? Oujii Board? Really, just give me something.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The ACC also said they took Louisville ahead of us because they were desired by other conferences (Big 12). I don't think anyone seriously considers us as the next pick by the Big 10. We may end up in the Big 10 or Big 12 or ACC but we aren't going to end up there as anyone's first choice. But IMO, that's short-sighted on all of their parts -- we are going to run NYC in football and still dominate nationally in basketball.

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Reaction Score
[quote="RegisteredUconn, post: 492457, member: 1477" Surviving on the seed corn can only sustain you for so long.

That is literally true. But the "for so long" period will be at least two more generations.[/quote]

That's a lot of seed corn. If I ever get hooked up with the Donner Party part deux, I want you in charge of provisioning.

Not sure ND's good will should be amortized over fifty years though.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
KFC/Yum, PaPa John's, southern geography, BC and FSU ambivalent v.
Ratty HCC-Gampel, smallish RENT, another Yankee state, Jesuits and Miami hate us.

Perception and Animosity. That is why we got left. We turned down nothing.

Reaction Score
The ACC also said they took Louisville ahead of us because they were desired by other conferences (Big 12). I don't think anyone seriously considers us as the next pick by the Big 10. We may end up in the Big 10 or Big 12 or ACC but we aren't going to end up there as anyone's first choice. But IMO, that's short-sighted on all of their parts -- we are going to run NYC in football and still dominate nationally in basketball.

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Kool Aid needed at UConn Dan's! Stat!

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
KFC/Yum, PaPa John's, southern geography, BC and FSU ambivalent v.
Ratty HCC-Gampel, smallish RENT, another Yankee state, Jesuits and Miami hate us.

Perception and Animosity. That is why we got left. We turned down nothing.

Naming rights are coming up this year for XL center and naming rights can be awarded for the Rent starting in 2017 (terms are would need to say: BlahBlahBlah at Rentschler Field).

To get some notice from the south and mid-west:
My vote would be for Popeye's Chicken Coliseum and Pizza Hut Stadium at Rentschler Field.

Reaction Score
Naming rights are coming up this year for XL center and naming rights can be awarded for the Rent starting in 2017 (terms are would need to say: BlahBlahBlah at Rentschler Field).

To get some notice from the south and mid-west:
My vote would be for Popeye's Chicken Coliseum and Pizza Hut Stadium at Rentschler Field.

I like it, but, based on my observations, old school southerners are a breakfast crowd:

Waffle House Steak and Egg Stadium at Rentschler Field
Denny's Grand Slam Stadium at Rentschler Field.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I like it, but, based on my observations, old school southerners are a breakfast crowd:

Waffle House Steak and Egg Stadium at Rentschler Field
Denny's Grand Slam Stadium at Rentschler Field.
Don't forget Shoney's! haha

Reaction Score
Any basis for that contention? Anything? Oujii Board? Really, just give me something.

I wont even pretend to have anything concrete or I am an "insider". My thoughts are based on the following:
a) UConn and the markets it provides access to is way to valuable to simply be left out.
b) if Delaney's goal is to lock in the major northeast markets, Rutgers alone wont fullfil that wish. UConn is a bridge from NYC to Boston and with an occassional game vs a marquee program(OSU or Michigan) why not agree to play in either MetLife or Foxboro and provide both.
c) the actions or lack of response from our administration

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I sense it was more political. FSU, Miami, GT and Clemson aren't happy about the balance of power in the ACC being solidly with basketball focused schools once Pitt and Syracuse come on board. In their mind, adding yet another northern, academics and basketball first school shifts the balance of power too far towards UNC/Duke/UVA. Louisville is nominally southern, and becomes the academic bottom feeder in the league. I think FSU sees UConn driving the ACC further from SEC/Big 12 model of a conference.

No inside info. I know nothing. Just trying to piece the puzzle together.

pj

Reaction Score

"Rumblings"? "Rumblings" of competition wouldn't deter a determined suitor.

Here's I think the true explanation. These deals are extremely complex legally. UConn had sold a wide range of Tier 3 TV rights to SNY, IMG, etc; ACC had sold all rights to ACC league home games to ESPN/Raycom. These contracts have to be reconciled. UConn would be a complex and lengthy negotiation for the ACC, and UConn would throughout the negotiation be going back to its contract partners and also the B1G to look for better offers and ways to reconcile terms to its advantage. Louisville on the other hand would sign whatever proposal the ACC put forth on the dotted line. All we need to assume is that the ACC wanted to move quickly, and they would pick Louisville. You don't need to assume UConn had a deal in hand with the B1G, or that the ACC preferred Louisville to UConn.

There were probably also political considerations, eg BC not wanting New England competition and FSU not wanting to let perceived basketball schools dominate the league or (more likely in my view) wanting to take away a potential B12 member so that the B12 would be more likely to make it an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom