Rumors from our favorite rumor mongers getting interesting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumors from our favorite rumor mongers getting interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Surely Malloy's Willard's $250 Million Mutant Mice Project in Farmington will appeal to the AAU. Jackson labs doesn't need to stop with designer mice. Designer Fidos will be all the rage soon.

http://mousemutant.jax.org/index.html

I'm struggling to understand your point. If you're knocking this study, it reminds me of Sarah Palin when she came out against studying the sex chromosomes of fruit flies. Ironically, the study she cited had a breakthrough as it relates to trisomy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm struggling to understand your point. If you're knocking this study, it reminds me of Sarah Palin when she came out against studying the sex chromosomes of fruit flies. Ironically, the study she cited had a breakthrough as it relates to trisomy.
I think that she was troubled because the study was being done on fruit flies. Had they been straight flies she probably would have been okay with it.

Reaction Score
the thing is, what he said is probably true (Uconn blowing BC out of the water in every category except academics) but Uconn doesn't own NYC hoops over everyone by ND. Syracuse is there too.

Who knows if Delaney ever even presented Uconn to the Presidents and what was said. I think we all know that Uconn looks pretty good versus the ret of the northeast. maybe not so much against UVa, UNC, GTech, FSU, Duke, etc.

but hey, it prompted another post with no informed viewpoint in this thread!

Reaction Score
the thing is, what he said is probably true (Uconn blowing BC out of the water in every category except academics) but Uconn doesn't own NYC hoops over everyone by ND. Syracuse is there too.

Who knows if Delaney ever even presented Uconn to the Presidents and what was said. I think we all know that Uconn looks pretty good versus the ret of the northeast. maybe not so much against UVa, UNC, GTech, FSU, Duke, etc.

Always good to be talked about. Good our bad, just spell our name right!!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

My personal favorite is Jindal vs. the volcano monitoring. It's almost enough to make me give up atheism.

Reaction Score

Syracuse has a very strong basketball presence in NYC. But "owned" in that sense is merely an adjective. In terms of relative attractiveness, all you need to do is compare SNY exposure.

Reaction Score
Delany was at a conference last month in New York run by IMG.

He knows absolutely everything he needs to know about UConn's market value.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Didn't these guys retire the other day because everyone kept calling them out on their bull?

Either way, I'll take anything that paints UConn in a good light and keeps the name circulating in realignment talk.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Objectively, I can get UConn to #3 on the Big 10's list of expansion candidates, behind UVa and UNC. For the criteria that I believe the Big 10 is looking for, UConn is ahead of GTech, FSU, BCU, Syracuse and Pitt. I don't know how to jump UVa and UNC though.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Objectively, I can get UConn to #3 on the Big 10's list of expansion candidates, behind UVa and UNC. For the criteria that I believe the Big 10 is looking for, UConn is ahead of GTech, FSU, BCU, Syracuse and Pitt. I don't know how to jump UVa and UNC though.

Hopefully SEC preference, State politics and/or fanbase revolt will intervene and you won't have to. 0% chance B1G and SEC stay at 14 long term.

Reaction Score
Dude I love you, but you change your tune more than I change my kids diapers on this conference realignment stuff. I agree with you on this last post, but I dont think UNC is thinking Big 10, or anywhere else right now. They can rest comfortably knowing they will never be left out. So if were third on the pecking list, and UVA is ready to move........ you never know.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dude I love you, but you change your tune more than I change my kids diapers on this conference realignment stuff. I agree with you on this last post, but I dont think UNC is thinking Big 10, or anywhere else right now. They can rest comfortably knowing they will never be left out. So if were third on the pecking list, and UVA is ready to move........ you never know.

I don't think either UVa or UNC are moving at the end of the day, so then who would the B1G add with UConn? Would it just stay at 14?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that UConn "owning" NYC in basketball is that big of a revelation. Sure maybe it was for Delaney before being presented with some numbers but UConn has been the biggest presence from the BE in NYC for awhile. It probably peaked in the late 90's/early 2000's when we were winning the BE tournament all the time but UConn has been ahead of Syracuse for quite some time.

That being said I don't know if saying that UConn "owns" NYC is really correct, but that's a matter of what you consider to be "owning." If Syracuse was the main college basketball team in NYC then I don't think they would have needed to run all of those adds telling everyone that they are NYC's college basketball team.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much this "revelation" would change UConn's position, but nice to see some positive stuff.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Given the bad press and self-loathing about UConn's PR image. I find it entirely credible that B1G university president X or his surrogate was shocked at UConn's relative value when compared with other candidates in a blind resume format.

Doesn't mean that happened. I hope it did because it would be a potential game changer.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
UConn has already proven it can drive an RSN to success in the NYC TV market (and also the Hartford/New Haven market). The ratings prove people will actually watch, and we "forced" SNY availability deep into CT. BTN viability has to be in a forefront of any B1G expansion discussions, and our history shows that we can make it work.

Reaction Score
Given the bad press and self-loathing about UConn's PR image. I find it entirely credible that B1G university president X or his surrogate was shocked at UConn's relative value when compared with other candidates in a blind resume format.

Doesn't mean that happened. I hope it did because it would be a potential game changer.

Exactly. Given how many times UConn has been passed over, I can totally believe Delaney being shocked at the basketball teams presence in the NYC market. I do not believe that it is going to make much of a difference, though. Delaney may not have been aware of the basketball teams presence, but he is certainly aware of the football team's reach after deciding to add Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I could be totally wrong, but I have felt since November and how the whole last cycle of realignment played out, from our administration's silence and inferred apathy to how espn and the ACC promoted Louisville and their assumed selection "over" us, were all signs that point towards UConn always being in the Big 10's plan. Actions speak louder than words, and UConns actions since then hint at only one direction. Personally, I dont think the Big 10 ever looked at Maryland and Rutgers as stand alone additions. To me, they were the initial step, for whatever silly reasons they may have had, to locking in the NYC and DC markets. In translation, to me, when the Big 10 decided on the latest round of realignment, their plan all along was to include Rutgers then UCONN and Maryland then UVA, in that order. So as we think back to when it felt like UConns world was imploding and Louisville was chosen over us, we can interpret that as a desperate attempt by both school(Louisville) and conference(ACC) to justify their existence, but we all know it was just panic. More than just hoping that my thoughts are proved true, I really hope one day it is leaked out that UCONN said no to the ACC, not vice versa.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I could be totally wrong, but I have felt since November and how the whole last cycle of realignment played out, from our administration's silence and inferred apathy to how espn and the ACC promoted Louisville and their assumed selection "over" us, were all signs that point towards UConn always being in the Big 10's plan. Actions speak louder than words, and UConns actions since then hint at only one direction. Personally, I dont think the Big 10 ever looked at Maryland and Rutgers as stand alone additions. To me, they were the initial step, for whatever silly reasons they may have had, to locking in the NYC and DC markets. In translation, to me, when the Big 10 decided on the latest round of realignment, their plan all along was to include Rutgers then UCONN and Maryland then UVA, in that order. So as we think back to when it felt like UConns world was imploding and Louisville was chosen over us, we can interpret that as a desperate attempt by both school(Louisville) and conference(ACC) to justify their existence, but we all know it was just panic. More than just hoping that my thoughts are proved true, I really hope one day it is leaked out that UCONN said no to the ACC, not vice versa.
HuskyFanDan? That you?

Reaction Score

Stewy.gif

U

UConn9604

From your lips to Kemba's ears.

Reaction Score

You jump UConn over UNC in several ways. First is the contiguousness thing. Don't think of that constraining, bygone days definition, bordering states, though. Gotta think about "territory" as the key. In the midwest, states are relatively large compared to the east. Territory is a better way to think of the concept of a tight geographic connection when it comes to the east. UVA and UConn occupy that same geographic entity known as the Northeast Megalopolis (or Super Region, or whatever) and have a contiguous association that way. In the sense of a super region as the determining quality for contiguousness, it is UNC that's not contiguous, not UConn.

Or, try brainstorming the problems likely to emerge as the B1G attempts to fit UNC into the conference. Things like what will the B10 do to overcome the "they're not like us" resistence sure to arise among the locals. The "who the hell do they think they are?" The "why did we ever leave the ACC" or "we should have joined the SEC" grumblings headed the B1G's way if UNC doesn't come roaring out of the shoot. And speaking of the SEC, what is the B1G going to do when the SEC adds NC State and starts eating the B1G's lunch with a better product from a more trusted supplier? How are they going to re-burnish a tarnished image if they become a local laughing stock in North Carolina? What are they going to do when Virginia games start getting waled on by VaTech's SEC contests? Are they ready to put their Va acquisition in harms way too?

What about the NYC strategy? Think Rutgers can deliver all of New York? I'd love to see the business plan for that. Humongous New York, out farther than the B1G's outlier member can expect to have contests of local interest? There may be some B1G alums in the Apple but no where enough to spin the advertisers' turnstiles. You can't maximize your NYC investment with Rutgers alone.

Besides all that, UNC is going to be seriously hard to pry out of their playpen. Of all the ACC teams that have realistic shots of competing elsewhere, UNC would probably be the most difficult to convince to move. They've been king there. It's hard to abdicate being king.

But really, all you need to know is New York City. Who is the B1G going to add to get the best return from NYC. Answer that and you'll answer who the next target is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Only way UConn jumps both UVa and UNC is if one or both pull themselves out of contention and the Big 10 expands anyway.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I made a longer post about this in another B1G thread, but the more and more I think about:

1) Virginia and North Carolina don't want to and will not leave the ACC
2) Adding Syracuse and UConn, in combination with Rutgers and the B1G heavyweights absolutely locks up the Northeast and makes NYC B1G Territory.

I just think you elevate the local football programs in Rutgers, UConn and Syracuse so much by putting them in the same league with Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State that you can't even begin to compare their value today, with what they can be in 10 years.

As a UConn fan, the games that mattered to me the most were Syracuse in Basketball and Rutgers in Football. To be reunited with those programs as local rivals and also get the chance to compete with the true football heavyweights in the B1G would truly be a dream scenario.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just reread Nate Silver's blog on CR. According to him, GT has a bigger fanbase than UGA. Can that be right? GT is twice the size of VA which is bigger than UConn. That would be my worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom