Rumor: The Big10 will invite North Dakota Hockey | The Boneyard

Rumor: The Big10 will invite North Dakota Hockey

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't have the link (it's from one of Minnesota's paid sites), but the rumor is that North Dakota will be invited as a partial member for hockey. The announcement will come this summer.

If this is true, it's a great move. UND would round out a great conference with the best Midwestern hockey schools. It brings back the Minnesota/North Dakota rivalry. Wish UConn was coming as well, but you all have a great home in your league.

Reaction Score
It's almost like someone here had been trumpeting this move since the day ND to the B1G was announced...

Reaction Score
I don't have the link (it's from one of Minnesota's paid sites), but the rumor is that North Dakota will be invited as a partial member for hockey. The announcement will come this summer.

If this is true, it's a great move. UND would round out a great conference with the best Midwestern hockey schools. It brings back the Minnesota/North Dakota rivalry. Wish UConn was coming as well, but you all have a great home in your league.
We will come for all sports including Hockey. Send Delaney an email to let him know!

Reaction Score

I'm not buying it. Not even a hint of this over on SiouxSports and they'd be all over discussing any possible rumors as that board is hyper active regarding hockey. I'm not sure they'd accept anyways, North Dakota hockey expects to be the big fish in the pond and used to getting their way and as an affiliate member in hockey they'd be the outsider looking in without any real power conference-wise. Besides, aren't their plenty of additional Big Ten school rumored to start hockey? The Big Ten doesn't need to do this and could encourage Iowa or Rutgers or others to start hockey instead. Although the Big Ten has been really jealous and self-contentious on how bad the BTHC has flopped so far and the NCHC has dominated them so if there was any truth to this it is strictly to weaken their opponent conference and to add a team that can actually play hockey their conference. NCHC member Miami is like 9-1 vs Ohio State their last 10 meetings and then OSU cried and whined and took their puck and went home and told the Miami AD they would no longer play them after this season. Pathetic.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I'm not buying it. Not even a hint of this over on SiouxSports and they'd be all over discussing any possible rumors as that board is hyper active regarding hockey. I'm not sure they'd accept anyways, North Dakota hockey expects to be the big fish in the pond and used to getting their way and as an affiliate member in hockey they'd be the outsider looking in without any real power conference-wise. Besides, aren't their plenty of additional Big Ten school rumored to start hockey? The Big Ten doesn't need to do this and could encourage Iowa or Rutgers or others to start hockey instead. Although the Big Ten has been really jealous and self-contentious on how bad the BTHC has flopped so far and the NCHC has dominated them so if there was any truth to this it is strictly to weaken their opponent conference and to add a team that can actually play hockey their conference. NCHC member Miami is like 9-1 vs Ohio State their last 10 meetings and then OSU cried and whined and took their puck and went home and told the Miami AD they would no longer play them after this season. Pathetic.

Not sure if I buy it either, it it was an interesting rumor. To the part on other Big10 schools moving up to varsity hockey, I'm not sure that's happening. Penn State had a $100 million donation to get their team up and running. That's the largest single donation PSU has ever received. Illinois, the school most rumored to to be moving up has already said they need a donation remount similar to PSU's to make it work. My thought that Iowa and/or Nebraska were two that might, but that looks like a no go either. Rutgers also inquired about starting, but are so far in the hole money wise that there is no way they could raise the money. I just don't se it happening.

Big10 hockey needs a shot in the arm and another start up program isn't going to do it. They turned down ASU, partly because they are so new and it will take awhile to compete. The Big10 is going to need an eighth member soon and I can see them going to 10 with two divisions. UND, Denver and Nebraska - Omaha would be great fits. An eastern division of PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU and ND would be great for hockey fans. The Western division would bring back some of those old rivalries. (Isn't that what college hockey is about?) 16 games against your division and 10 games against the other division and you still get eight OCC games.

As far as your tirade against Bg10 hockey, most of us fans of Big10 schools don't like it either. The thing is it's here to stay so we have to make the best of it. I hate to tell you that jealousy really doesn't play a part in any of this as most of the schools are really against the conference. I know Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin don't enjoy the new league. Bring in Notre Dame will help with Michigan and MSU by giving them a traditional rivalry, but Minnesota is still left without any of theirs (excepting Wisky of course). The only schools that seem to not mind are PSU (they don't know anything different) and OSU (they don't care).

College hockey, above all else is about regionality and rivalries. It's why Notre Dame left the top conference to went to the Big10: they can play some of their local rivalries! I have also heard that some Western Michigan and Miami fans are lamenting their role in the NCHC as they only have one drivable series, each other! The breakup of the old CCHA affected my alma matter greatly. It took away the rivalries my alma matter had with Michigan and MSU and made them an every once and awhile game at the GLI.

Here is an interesting article from last April that aligned the Western conferences. It makes sense and I love the shot it takes at OSU hockey!

Reaction Score
Not sure if I buy it either, it it was an interesting rumor. To the part on other Big10 schools moving up to varsity hockey, I'm not sure that's happening. Penn State had a $100 million donation to get their team up and running. That's the largest single donation PSU has ever received. Illinois, the school most rumored to to be moving up has already said they need a donation remount similar to PSU's to make it work. My thought that Iowa and/or Nebraska were two that might, but that looks like a no go either. Rutgers also inquired about starting, but are so far in the hole money wise that there is no way they could raise the money. I just don't se it happening.

Big10 hockey needs a shot in the arm and another start up program isn't going to do it. They turned down ASU, partly because they are so new and it will take awhile to compete. The Big10 is going to need an eighth member soon and I can see them going to 10 with two divisions. UND, Denver and Nebraska - Omaha would be great fits. An eastern division of PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU and ND would be great for hockey fans. The Western division would bring back some of those old rivalries. (Isn't that what college hockey is about?) 16 games against your division and 10 games against the other division and you still get eight OCC games.

As far as your tirade against Bg10 hockey, most of us fans of Big10 schools don't like it either. The thing is it's here to stay so we have to make the best of it. I hate to tell you that jealousy really doesn't play a part in any of this as most of the schools are really against the conference. I know Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin don't enjoy the new league. Bring in Notre Dame will help with Michigan and MSU by giving them a traditional rivalry, but Minnesota is still left without any of theirs (excepting Wisky of course). The only schools that seem to not mind are PSU (they don't know anything different) and OSU (they don't care).

College hockey, above all else is about regionality and rivalries. It's why Notre Dame left the top conference to went to the Big10: they can play some of their local rivalries! I have also heard that some Western Michigan and Miami fans are lamenting their role in the NCHC as they only have one drivable series, each other! The breakup of the old CCHA affected my alma matter greatly. It took away the rivalries my alma matter had with Michigan and MSU and made them an every once and awhile game at the GLI.

Here is an interesting article from last April that aligned the Western conferences. It makes sense and I love the shot it takes at OSU hockey!

Well, lets hope none of that happens as it would destroy college hockey if Denver, Omaha, and NoDak left the NCHC. It would completely isolate Arizona St and Colorado College after the likely outcome of Duluth, St. Cloud, WMU, and Miami grabbed BG and Minnesota State to replace them. The WCHA would be toast and the Alaska schools along with Alabama-Huntsville and Lake State and others would close shop with Arizona State hanging by a thread and CC twisting in the wind. College hockey expansion would be over and would then contract by at least 10 teams dropping it down to 50

Reaction Score
I just dont see a benefit for those teams to leave. Hockey isnt a high revenue sport but the NCHC is already the higher revenue conference with our attendance and conf. Championship attendance along with NCHC.tv generating $400,000 in revenue and growing. Not to mention NCHC is highest pairwise conference and sends more teams to the tourney. This isnt football we are talking about.

If the BTHC wants more regional hockey games then they are sure fooling me. OSU, ND, UoM, and MSU have Western Michigan and Miami in their backyards and refuse to play them. And the BTHC in general has tried to create a scheduling alliance with Hockey East instead of the NCHC. The NCHC would be happy to agree to a schedule alliance to feed UW and Minny with NoDak and Omaha while Miami and WMU would play the old CCHA teams. But has to be home and home and Michigan and now OSU refuses.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Well, lets hope none of that happens as it would destroy college hockey if Denver, Omaha, and NoDak left the NCHC. It would completely isolate Arizona St and Colorado College after the likely outcome of Duluth, St. Cloud, WMU, and Miami grabbed BG and Minnesota State to replace them. The WCHA would be toast and the Alaska schools along with Alabama-Huntsville and Lake State and others would close shop with Arizona State hanging by a thread and CC twisting in the wind. College hockey expansion would be over and would then contract by at least 10 teams dropping it down to 50

This maybe like how outsiders feel about Big10 teams starting programs, but there are some that feel several PAC schools are ready to start programs up with USC and Oregon being the main culprits and Washington being thought of as well. Adding those schools to the landscape would greatly increase the versatility of the conferences. I too would like to see only eight in the Big10 (six is just too few and seven is awkward).

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This maybe like how outsiders feel about Big10 teams starting programs, but there are some that feel several PAC schools are ready to start programs up with USC and Oregon being the main culprits and Washington being thought of as well. Adding those schools to the landscape would greatly increase the versatility of the conferences. I too would like to see only eight in the Big10 (six is just too few and seven is awkward).

I'm all for more programs. There's the talent out there for MANY more D1 programs (and demand). Look how many Junior hockey leagues there are out there... largely there for profit too... which sucks. That being said if my kid wants to kick around for a couple years in Junior Bs while trying to work his way into a college hockey program I'll be one of those suckers paying for it.

Reaction Score
I'm all for more programs. There's the talent out there for MANY more D1 programs (and demand). Look how many Junior hockey leagues there are out there... largely there for profit too... which sucks. That being said if my kid wants to kick around for a couple years in Junior Bs while trying to work his way into a college hockey program I'll be one of those suckers paying for it.
It's not as if many AHC players end up having lucrative NHL careers. It would suck to see state schools take over as they have done in football.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's not as if many AHC players end up having lucrative NHL careers. It would suck to see state schools take over as they have done in football.

You're a LONG way from that happening. There's only what 60 D1 teams out there? A 16 team playoff. You could probably double the number of programs and not materially effect that power players in NCAA hockey. Quite frankly I'd rather see that and have some of these Tier 3 junior leagues dry up. There's a lot of really talented kids slaving away in the US junior leagues let alone Canada.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I just dont see a benefit for those teams to leave. Hockey isnt a high revenue sport but the NCHC is already the higher revenue conference with our attendance and conf. Championship attendance along with NCHC.tv generating $400,000 in revenue and growing. Not to mention NCHC is highest pairwise conference and sends more teams to the tourney. This isnt football we are talking about.

If the BTHC wants more regional hockey games then they are sure fooling me. OSU, ND, UoM, and MSU have Western Michigan and Miami in their backyards and refuse to play them. And the BTHC in general has tried to create a scheduling alliance with Hockey East instead of the NCHC. The NCHC would be happy to agree to a schedule alliance to feed UW and Minny with NoDak and Omaha while Miami and WMU would play the old CCHA teams. But has to be home and home and Michigan and now OSU refuses.

You are correct, I don't think the Big10, in general, cares about regional rivalries except to keep their current teams happy. The Big10 uses it's athletic teams to put their names in places they want to recruit students. That's why they play East coast teams, they are recruiting that area hard for prospective students. It's also why I think UConn will eventually be in the Big10.

The fans of the Big10 Hockey schools love the regionality and have been hurt by the move. Bringing in Notre Dame and possibly UND would be a big move to rectify what they have done, at least in the eyes of Big10 fans.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Good Lord, can you imagine Rutgers starting a hockey program? They claim to have invented football and they've sucked for years. How bad would hockey be for the next 100 years?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I would assume that Nebraska would be vehemently against Omaha joining.

Why would Nebraska care? They don't have a hockey team.

Also, hockey is a regional sport. The rivalries are still more due to geography than anything else. If anything, Nebraska would probably be glad to have a nearby rival if they started a D1 team.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Nebraska would care, but the bigger problem is UND gives them eight teams which is the ideal number for a conference. There's no reason to add more.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hmm...sort of off topic but would Division 1 and 3 (I know there is no D-2 for hockey purposes) merge and possibly have a larger NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I don't think that says anything. The Big10 doesn't field women's ice hockey. They play in the WCHA along with Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ohio State.
Not yet, but I am sure it's a goal. Penn State women's hockey is in the CHA, joined in 2012.

Reaction Score
UND eliminating women's hockey should have no bearing on a B1G hockey invite. Some B1G coaches are recently on record as saying they're evaluating options for an 8th team. Seven is stupid and won't work long term.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom