rumor-- Rutgers and Maryland are in negotiations to join the Big Ten. | The Boneyard

rumor-- Rutgers and Maryland are in negotiations to join the Big Ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting, hearing this at few places. Could be just talk

Reaction Score
Amazing anyone would want RU........for what football? The Huskies are a coach away from being as good if not better and in all other sports this wouldn't seem to be close......

Football is king.....

Reaction Score
I think people believe RU is the the gateway to the nyc market. Not sure if nyc would take that on
NYC loves to be big time. College football used to be ahead of pro football but not anymore. It took a while to even establish a pro franchise in NYC. The NY Football Giants were not the first attempt but it was the first to succeed long term. It can be debated ad nauseum. As of now, it appears Syracuse or Rutgers will never outdraw the Giants or Jets. They would have long ago. Top tier college football games did get bigger crowds than the Giants before the modern NFL era. NYC's first pro football franchise, to my knowledge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Brickley_Giants

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am not sure the acc wants us...

Blasphemy! Everyone wants us!! They...uh..just haven't asked us yet!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You guys do know there is a whole board dedicated for this right? Just making sure.

Follow the White Rabbit.

Anywho, conspiracy kitty says we are clearly going with Maryland to the B1G. It's all based on a big bet calhoun made with the B1G BoT. If we beat izzo in Germany we would get in. They never thought it would happen...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
In fact it seems pretty clear they don't want us.

Probably not so; just means they wanted Cuse and Pitt more (or internal political realities didnt allow acc to take us then)...

Reaction Score
Acc did want us, BCU did not, and Pitt got our spot.

I'd be fine with landing in big ten, great football and basketball is no slouch. With us they'd be right there in best basketball league conversation

Reaction Score
We need to get out of the Big East now. With football's restructuring the BCS to demote the Big East to a lesser conference and the mass exodus of solid basketball programs, we both risk a return to minor-league football (which I don't particularly care about) and relegation to the status of a Gonzaga or a Memphis (in their C-USA days) in the basketball landscape.

Reaction Score
For TV markets.
The market isn't important, the audience is. New York (much like Boston) is a pro sports market. Media is priced and bought on cost per thousand of the buyers target market. The size of the New York market is irrelevant if nobody in the market is watching Rutgers football and right now nobody is.
I actually believe this would be a good thing for Uconn. Maryland leaving the ACC could possibly create an opening for us.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's a darned if we stay and darned if we go. Of all the transplants from the BE only VT has held up on the football side of things. Miami and BCU are sports wastelands. I expect the same to happen to WV, and Pitt and probably to Cuse in basketball. Tobacco road ensures the demise of other members in their league.

From this article http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/11...es-turn-maryland-big-ten-rumors-back-in-vogue:

Third: most of you hate it, I like it. In a very general sense, at least. But you probably knew that already. This is worthy of a bigger post and I'll start working on it now, holding off most of my thoughts 'til then. But my feelings toward the ACC are well-known (I'm one of those curmudgeonly types who resents decades of Carolina-centrism), and while the issue of being The Outsider would still be present in the Big Ten, at least we'd get a bunch of money and academic collaboration for our trouble. Others have stronger, more sentimental feelings toward the ACC, and that's fine. I get it - well no, I don't get it, but I do respect it. Here's the thing, though: it's really tough to quantify those feelings as a dollar amount, and even if you could they probably wouldn't reach thepotential - and note the emphasis - payoff the B1G would bring, in terms of not only athletic revenue but also academic collaboration via the CIC. It's pretty tough for a university to turn down several million dollars a year simply because you, Joe Terrapin, enjoy playing UVA once a year. It factors in, but less than you want it to.

Reaction Score
The only rumor I heard about Rutgers was posited by that guy on either the Fight On State or Testudo Times article. I haven't seen nearly as much traction on this as I have MD. Plus, it would be a little odd for the B1G to stop at 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom