rumor on Rutgers board UConn has submitted application | The Boneyard

rumor on Rutgers board UConn has submitted application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...I'd be surprised if UCONN has actually applied for admission already, because you do not apply unless there's a guarantee that you'll actually get invited. But who knows...look how fast the Cuse/Pitt switcheroo happened???

Reaction Score
Even if it's just a rumor, there's a lot of smoke to the UConn-to-the-ACC talk. And generally, when there's a lot of smoke...

Reaction Score
I was going to say something similar- we do not even know if they want us to join at this point. Reading the boards of some of the ACC schools their fans sure do not seem to want us to join.

Reaction Score
If true it would only surprise me if there wasn't a 16th team coming in with UConn. We know UConn had already been in talks, now that the entire landscape is changing and the writing is on the wall, its time to go.

Reaction Score
I was going to say something similar- we do not even know if they want us to join at this point. Reading the boards of some of the ACC schools their fans sure do not seem to want us to join.
Why wouldn't they? They don't want to lose to us every year? Recent off-the-court stuff? We bring great basketball teams, a competitive football team, and improving baseball team, good soccer teams, great field hockey............... Academics are solid.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
ESPN radio has been reporting all day that UCONN had submitted a formal application to the ACC this morning. I heard it for the first time at about noon PST and was wondering why there hadn't been any report of it here on the boneyard.

Reaction Score
ESPN radio has been reporting all day that UCONN had submitted a formal application to the ACC this morning. I heard it for the first time at about noon PST and was wondering why there hadn't been any report of it here on the boneyard.
If this is true, then it's a done deal.

Cuse/Pitt submitted applications as a mere formality, their acceptance was already guaranteed.

Reaction Score
If that is true then it is odd that there has been no reporting of it in the media yet. I've said this already but the only reason I can think of is that if UConn has submitted their application then the ACC is trying to find one more school to round out the conference at 16.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The RU poster is wrong and messed up: the link he posted to support his claim was to the ESPN article we have all seen at this point. There is no indication that we have killed out an application to the ACC yet.

UconnWitt

Because Fartman69 was taken.
Reaction Score
I hope this is true. The ACC wants Notre Dame, ultimately. I don't think any of us can speculate as to wether they'll join the ACC, the B1G, or stay independent. Keep in mind the ACC just mortally wounded their non-football conference affiliate (as if anyone can forget at this point) and it very well may be time for them to conference up; if the writing was ever on the wall, it's now. The Big East is done. I think all schools not named Cincinnati and South Florida will land on their feet...WVU to the SEC, possibly Louisville as well (highly speculative). Pitt, Syracuse, and Uconn to the ACC. Rutgers to the B1G, along with Missouri and Kansas. I don't know who the 16th would be...a lot of political implications with that (with all of this.) Ok, Ok S, Texas, and Texas Tech to the PAC-12. My point being that it may be in Notre Dame's best long term interests to join a conference. After 3-4 years you are going to see a huge drop off in basketball talent and overall competitiveness by the non-football basketball schools. Also- ND's deal with NBC/Comcast is nowhere near as attractive/exclusive as in years past due to a rapidly changing media-rights landscape. Don't get me wrong- this is more wishful thinking than anything. I just think it would be incredible if I woke up tomorrow to news of Uconn and ND being the ACC's 15th and 16th members. In full disclosure I hate ND, but realize the value of their brand. They'll probably stay independent, with Uconn and Rutgers going to the ACC. Uconn will land somewhere good. Think positive people.

Reaction Score
That would be pretty coo coo if true. Mind blowing. I am having trouble imagining UCONN outside of the BE.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The RU poster is wrong and messed up: the link he posted to support his claim was to the ESPN article we have all seen at this point. There is no indication that we have killed out an application to the ACC yet.

While I was driving up to Tahoe from SF today I heard it reported on ESPN radio on a number of occassions. It was just a one liner in their hourly (or half hour) updates. He specifically said that "UCONN had made a formal application to join the ACC". I can't say its absolutely true, I can say ESPN absolutely reported it on the radio on a number of occassions.

Reaction Score
I agree re: ND. I think the ACC is going to figure out whether they can get ND and if they can then they will choose between UConn and Rutgers (hopefully we win that one). If ND balks then I think UConn and Rutgers go.

I think the main impediment to a quick resolution for UConn is ND. ND can afford to take their time in assessing their options because I am willing to be that both the ACC and the Big 10 would love to add them. Depending on how long ND takes, UConn could be in the awkward position of trying to piece the BE back together while simultaneously trying to find out if they can leave (BC was in this same position, but they lied and Herbst has already made it clear what UConn intends to do).

I'd love to wake up tomorrow to reports that UConn is on the move but I don't expect to find out what is happening for a little while.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Those ACC schools you speak of are likely UNC and Duke. Right now, they are the two, big, swinging dicks of the conference. You think the fans want a third big dick in the room? It'll turn into a goshdarn sword fight. Only so many spoils to go around for the basketball teams, and UConn would claim a healthy share of that (read: their) pie.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With the defections of Pitt and SU to the ACC, Uconn wanting to be there makes sense. Geographically and everything else. It would warm up some rivalries and create new ones. All the teams are in the eastern time zone and a northern half inlcuding BCU, Pitt, SU, Maryland makes for driveable away games. And as I quickly realized over the weekend, I wouldn't ever root for another ACC team. I want them all to lose and Uconn to come in as the BE team and smash it in their faces. Right now Uconn is as good as any ACC team save for VT and FSU. We can compete right away.

Which is why I hope we go to the Big Ten. Everything there would be harder for success in football. Maybe it's the stubborness in me, but I don't want the entire BE annexed in to the ACC. Screw them. Have the Big 10 take us and Snooki on the eastern part and add Mizzou and Kansas to the west.

If we are talking the New York market, there isn't any way a Uconn vs. FSU, Miami, Clemson or any other ACC team gets more attention than Uconn vs. Michigan or Ohio St. There isn't any doubt in my mind that Uconn or Snooki will get better NYC market ratings against elite Big 10 competition than they would against elite ACC competition. It's a given that Big 10 teams have more interested fans in the northeast than the ACC.

I won't make any more comments on expansion. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Those ACC schools you speak of are likely UNC and Duke. Right now, they are the two, big, swinging dicks of the conference. You think the fans want a third big dick in the room? It'll turn into a goshdarn sword fight. Only so many spoils to go around for the basketball teams, and UConn would claim a healthy share of that (read: their) pie.

That may be small time thinking though. With three big bball schools from the BE in the league, the ACC champion would effectively become the presumptive favorite in the NCAA. All the talent would go to the ACC. Maryland, NC State, etc. would also benefit.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That may be small time thinking though. With three big bball schools from the BE in the league, the ACC champion would effectively become the presumptive favorite in the NCAA. All the talent would go to the ACC. Maryland, NC State, etc. would also benefit.

Even more reason why those fans (Duke and UNC) wouldn't want it. (Note, I'm not talking administrations or conference here) These two are always favorites and get the recruits they want anyway, so that doesn't change much for them on that score. What it does is increase the competition. Duke and UNC win Conference Championships year in, year out. It doesn't matter if the ACC sucks in a given year, the fact that Duke/UNC is Champion makes big time national news.

Now they would be theoretically in line to win less championships. That probably doesn't sit well with Duke/UNC fans.

Reaction Score
Even more reason why those fans (Duke and UNC) wouldn't want it. (Note, I'm not talking administrations or conference here) These two are always favorites and get the recruits they want anyway, so that doesn't change much for them on that score. What it does is increase the competition. Duke and UNC win Conference Championships year in, year out. It doesn't matter if the ACC sucks in a given year, the fact that Duke/UNC is Champion makes big time national news.

Now they would be theoretically in line to win less championships. That probably doesn't sit well with Duke/UNC fans.
They already brought in Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score

Right now the ACC has competition issues. It is a top loaded conference with maybe 3 good teams and they need more competition. The addition of Cuse and Pitt helped a lot. Adding Uconn would be huge for basketball. The fans don't get a vote.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They already brought in Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

I guess we've got a different definition of 'big swingin dick'. I don't think Duke and UNC fans view Cuse and Pitt as the same kind of threat as they do UConn.

And mind you, we are talking fans only here, not conference officials, administrators, coaches, etc.

I'm not arguing what's best for the league. I think UConn's inclusion is great for the league. I was simply giving reason for the Duke/UNC fans opinions.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Right now the ACC has competition issues. It is a top loaded conference with maybe 3 good teams and they need more competition. The addition of Cuse and Pitt helped a lot. Adding Uconn would be huge for basketball. The fans don't get a vote.

Of course. It's far better for the league to have this competition. And yes, the fans don't get a vote. That was kind of the (unstated) point of the original post. Someone was visiting those teams boards and observed that the fans didn't want us. I was just stating the reason for that.

As I said above, "I don't think Duke and UNC fans view Cuse and Pitt as the same kind of threat as they do UConn. And mind you, we are talking fans only here, not conference officials, administrators, coaches, etc. I'm not arguing what's best for the league. I think UConn's inclusion is great for the league. I was simply giving reason for the Duke/UNC fans opinions."

Reaction Score
Of course. It's far better for the league to have this competition. And yes, the fans don't get a vote. That was kind of the (unstated) point of the original post. Someone was visiting those teams boards and observed that the fans didn't want us. I was just stating the reason for that.

As I said above, "I don't think Duke and UNC fans view Cuse and Pitt as the same kind of threat as they do UConn. And mind you, we are talking fans only here, not conference officials, administrators, coaches, etc. I'm not arguing what's best for the league. I think UConn's inclusion is great for the league. I was simply giving reason for the Duke/UNC fans opinions."
I agree

Reaction Score
UConn has submitted an application but no one is going to discuss it unless a decision has been made to act favorably on it. FSU is concerned in that it wants at least one of #15 and #16 to be a very good FB school and Miami doesn't like us for obvious reasons. Duke, UNC and Maryland are very supportive. ACC is still waiting on pipe dream TX and/or ND and will probably not act on UConn until at least one of them has decided to, hopefully, go elsewhere. Once Big 12 fate decide the other moves will occur. I personally think FSU wants WVU in ACC but I doubt this will occur, but, anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom