Rumor on big 12 & BE football merger | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumor on big 12 & BE football merger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dan is one of the worst offenders here regarding rumors with no evidence behind it whatsoever. Now I see his name and I say, "feh".

Reaction Score
All we have heard is how ironclad it was but if Tex, TT, OU and OSt join the Pac there will be a lot of unclaimed pieces on the board.

Stop the madness! There is no way any Big 12 teams are going to the Pac.

#1 The Grant of Rights - this is no exit fee. Those schools Big 12 do not own their own Tier 1 & Tier 2 TV rights.

#2 EVEN IF you feel like a GOR isn't ironclad (which is not likely), the last thing the Pac, B10 or B12 want to do is to make a GOR seem weak. All 3 have GORs and rely on them to safeguard their TV deals. There is no chance they are going to attempt to grab schools from each other because that sets a precedent about GORs that isn't in their interest.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
All we have heard is how ironclad it was but if Tex, TT, OU and OSt join the Pac there will be a lot of unclaimed pieces on the board.

#1 The Grant of Rights - this is no exit fee. Those schools Big 12 do not own their own Tier 1 & Tier 2 TV rights.

#2 EVEN IF you feel like a GOR isn't ironclad (which is not likely), the last thing the Pac, B10 or B12 want to do is to make a GOR seem weak. All 3 have GORs and rely on them to safeguard their TV deals. There is no chance they are going to attempt to grab schools from each other because that sets a precedent about GORs that isn't in their interest.

there is a loophole in the gor that will be exposed by the pac

Reaction Score

I agree with you that this whole fiasco is beyond lunacy, but you do remember that last year the PAC came very close to striking a deal with TX and OK? It's not like this thing wasn't discussed and negotiated already. Question would be, can big beef reign in its demands a little?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This thread is crazy by crazy thread standards.

The Big 12 isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else get the feeling that Tom and or Fishy are behind all this realignment nonsense so they can get a penney for every refresh we do in regards to the ads on this site?

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to agree with Fishy. the B-12 isn't going anywhere. But I am also skeptical that the grant of rights will stop anyone from moving. Just as every other plan failed to stop movement. $5 million didn't stop people. $10 million didn't stop any one. 27 month notice didn't stop anyone. $50 million didn't stop anyone. Grant of Rights won't either. It might increase the exit fee a good bit, but here's what will happen...Texas (or Oklahoma or Kansas or anyone but I'll use Texas for illustrative purposes) for instance, will go to court in Texas and argue that the B-12 has violated some aspect of the agreement, or mis-managed it or that a GOR is unfair or the B-12 lied or some other reason. At the end of the day, the B-12 and Texas will cut a deal to let Texas go for a significant fee. And they will do that for a couple of reasons. First, it isn't in anybody's interest to have a team in your league who is actively and publicly looking to get out. 2nd, and more importantly, nobody really wants the grant of rights to be litigated because once it is, somebody will lose. The conferences and their tv partners absolutely don't want to lose. They have built these highly lucrative deals on those guarantees. Their worst nightmare is that it be declared unenforceable for some reason. Worst case, the league loses and the whole package unravels. Texas, or any other school, on the other hand, has much less to lose. So it is in their interest to push for a decision. Worst case, they remain in the B-12. They maybe lose some marginal increase in value, basically the difference between the B-12 payment and the PAC 12 payment minus whatever fee they agree to, but it isn't like they lose and have to join the CAAor only field a soccer team for 5 years . Thus, it is in the best interest of the league to settle for a higher payment. they might lose something in their media deal, the B-12 without Texas is probably not worth the same as with Texas, they don't lose the whole enchillada. they hope to offset it to some extent with a new member and whatever cash they can extract form the team that is leaving early.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this one is gaining traction. No F' in way is this gonna happen.

It's ridiculous what people will repeat nowadays. Personally I have a hard time believing Texas would go anywhere while their Bevo Network is still in it's infancy. If they decide that won't work, then maybe they'll look around.

Reaction Score
It's ridiculous what people will repeat nowadays. Personally I have a hard time believing Texas would go anywhere while their Bevo Network is still in it's infancy. If they decide that won't work, then maybe they'll look around.
You know, I even read somewhere that Rutgers was going to the Big 10. Can you imagine anyone believing that?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think it's not working. Maybe somebody can provide some info on this.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Rumors swirling that Pac is going after Beijing U. They want to bracket the kucrative Hawaii market...

Reaction Score
I'm just worried that you're going to find out that Dan doesn't actually exist.

What happens when Dan wakes up and it turns out that we are part of his dream?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Rumors swirling that Pac is going after Beijing U. They want to bracket the kucrative Hawaii market...
Why would they take them? The government runs the television network and the revenue gained will be horrendously low. Plus, all home games will be rigged and they will use under-aged players on steroids. The Pac-10 doesn't need to go there. Better off with Hanoi College.

Reaction Score

And that perennial powerhouse UMass to corner central New England. (Actually, the UMass Band would upgrade any conference - as would OURS.)

Reaction Score
I agree with you that this whole fiasco is beyond lunacy, but you do remember that last year the PAC came very close to striking a deal with TX and OK? It's not like this thing wasn't discussed and negotiated already. Question would be, can big beef reign in its demands a little?

The PAC courted Texas/OU before either side had a GOR (they both have one now), before the Big 12 was linked in the Sugar Bowl with the SEC and before the LHN reached its final stage. The world has changed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The PAC courted Texas/OU before either side had a GOR (they both have one now), before the Big 12 was linked in the Sugar Bowl with the SEC and before the LHN reached its final stage. The world has changed.
Sorry but this is about MHver3 revenge.

Reaction Score
freescooter, there is a problem with your scenario.

Ultimately, I agree you are probably right. IF Texas wanted to litigate its way out of a GOR, it might be a bit painful but it is hard to imagine it is impossible - especially considering the resources of the Horns and the fact that this would likely be litigated in Texas.

Here's the rub. Where would Texas go?
SEC - Texas fans would love it but Texas is politically anchored to Baylor & Texas Tech.
ACC or Big east - hell no
Pac 12 or Big 10 - I don't think this is likely. Like the Big 12, the last thing those conference want to see is for a GOR to get trashed in court.

Reaction Score
I guess I don't see why the Pac or B1G cares about seeing the GOR trashed by a school leaving: who is going to leave? Pac, B1G, and SEC are destinations, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

EDIT: To be clear, I also don't think Texas or OU is heading off to the Pac or anything.

Reaction Score
yoda,
I used Texas as an example since they are the one most commonly spoken about as potentially moving to the PAC. Really the scenario would apply to anyone who wants to leave a conference with a GOR. And the very fact that the PAC and/or B10 want to keep GOR intact would provide added pressure on everyone to settle rather than have a serious challenge. As I said, if the school loses, worst case is it stays where it is. But if the conference loses, 2 others do too and it puts lots of things into limbo. My only real point was that a gor is no more likely to keep a team anchored to a conference if ti wants to leave as anything else has done.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I cannot think of one reason why Texas would want out of the Big 12 - they have set up a lovely fiefdom there.

They have the LHN, access to playoffs and s***, the heap-big bowl doohickey with the SEC, etc.

Life is good in Austin.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I cannot think of one reason why Texas would want out of the Big 12 - they have set up a lovely fiefdom there.

They have the LHN, access to playoffs and s***, the heap-big bowl doohickey with the SEC, etc.

Life is good in Austin.

So much so that they try to keep the Big 12 at 10 teams so that they don't have to share. And the Big 12 is set to possibly send 9 out of 10 to bowl games. Never happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom