Rumor has it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumor has it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Is this being reported anywhere else, by maybe a bigger name source yet? Or are we just grasping?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Does anyone else get the feeling that we're jumping from one sinking ship to another?

It's becoming apparent that the ACC is the next target of major-conference raiding. This might keep us afloat for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me to see us hoping to get out of the ACC in 5-6 years.
Being afloat for half a Decade, and then in an ACC/Hybrid, is better than drowning now. Right?

Reaction Score
Does anyone else get the feeling that we're jumping from one sinking ship to another?

It's becoming apparent that the ACC is the next target of major-conference raiding. This might keep us afloat for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me to see us hoping to get out of the ACC in 5-6 years.
People need to stop saying this.

The ACC could be weakened, maybe even a lot, but it will stick around. And it will be a billion times better than the s***hole UConn is currently in.

There are two potential open spots in the SEC, two potential spots in the Big 1G, and six spots in the Big 12 (not all of which would be filled by east coast teams). There's currently 13.5 teams in the ACC, and at least four more viable options for expansion. You do the math.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You forgot Notre Dame. Those bastards joined in every sport except football.

But it'd be nice to see these divsions in order to keep rivalries:

North: UConn, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Boston College, Louisville, Virginia Tech
South: Duke, UNC, NC State, Clemson, Wake Forest, Virginia, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami

This setup would be fantastic! It would essentially be the Big East versus the ACC! (I don't recognize you, Miami!) ;)

Reaction Score
North: UConn, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Boston College, Louisville, Virginia Tech

Who comes in last place? You only get 1 guess.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unless they're losing a team between tonight and Monday, that rumor makes zero sense.

The 16th spot will be left open for Notre Dame until they take it or leave for another conference.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unless they're losing a team between tonight and Monday, that rumor makes zero sense.

The 16th spot will be left open for Notre Dame until they take it or leave for another conference.
If that's an issue, can they arrange it so that the last one in agrees to accept something like a $50M buyout to split if/when Notre Dame says they want in for football, and if the conference is still at 17 teams then? No idea whether that's permissible, but if it is, everything has a price, and that would seem to remedy the problem.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am sure we can determine any number of inane ways of squeezing three Big East teams into the ACC, but it's not happening.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am sure we can determine any number of inane ways of squeezing three Big East teams into the ACC, but it's not happening.
I'll assume you have better information than I do, but from the outside I don't see how it's any more unlikely than all the that has already happened. They've taken plenty already, the operating assumption is that they are taking at least one more, and we know there are internal issues with the football-first schools and external issues with survival as one of the super-conferences. On its face, this seems to deal with those issues about as well as they can.

Of course I'm a willing believer at this point, but in the absence of someone with good information who says it isn't happening, I'm wondering why not.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll assume you have better information than I do, but from the outside I don't see how it's any more unlikely than all the that has already happened. They've taken plenty already, the operating assumption is that they are taking at least one more, and we know there are internal issues with the football-first schools and external issues with survival as one of the super-conferences. On its face, this seems to deal with those issues about as well as they can.

Of course I'm a willing believer at this point, but in the absence of someone with good information who says it isn't happening, I'm wondering why not.

Why would they add Cincinnati? Think logically people. Academics are sub par. Basketball is just ok. Football consistently decent, but where is the potential? I they recruit against OSU and other big boys, plus some 7-8 MAC schools in Ohio. They bring nothing.

I doubt that the ACC wants to drag down academics with Louisville either, or extend its reach to Kentucky, but at least the Louisville athletic department makes money and has some brand value. Cincinnati has none.

So you really think they will shut out the chance of ND joining when the NBC deal is up for Cincinnati?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why would they add Cincinnati? Think logically people. Academics are sub par. Basketball is just ok. Football consistently decent, but where is the potential? I they recruit against OSU and other big boys, plus some 7-8 MAC schools in Ohio. They bring nothing.

I doubt that the ACC wants to drag down academics with Louisville either, or extend its reach to Kentucky, but at least the Louisville athletic department makes money and has some brand value. Cincinnati has none.

So you really think they will shut out the chance of ND joining when the NBC deal is up for Cincinnati?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not buying academic concerns, given what's in the league already.

I addressed the ND issue above. Is that not possible? If it isn't, then yeah, it's still an issue. They'd have to leave a slot for ND somehow.

They need schools. The possibilities are limited. Their football-first schools want to preserve what little football decency they have, and Cincy helps do that. I think.

I really don't know. I'm just curious why so many people think they do.

Reaction Score

As I said yesterday, that really isn't necessarily the case. Notre Dame joining any conference let alone the ACC is a pipe dream right now, especially given how well they've done this season. When they negotiate a contract extension with NBC, you can be sure they'll get far more than the $17 million a year the ACC pays out. And it obviously goes beyond money (for once), Notre Dame likes being independent because it's what makes them special.

Getting to 16 football teams makes sense for stability's sake, especially now that the ACC looks vulnerable. If Swofford made a plan to indefinitely hold open a spot in the conference for Irish football, then he's a fool and he'll be waiting a long, long time.

And I have a feeling if Notre Dame did call up the ACC and say "hey we decided we want to join your conference in football after all", it wouldn't matter if they'd amassed 40 teams. They'd find a way to bring them in.

Reaction Score

Teams are leaving for greener pastures, and you think they will join ACC for football? not a chance

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Teams are leaving for greener pastures, and you think they will join ACC for football? not a chance

This isn't duck*ing hard, people.

The ACC will leave that spot open as long as Notre Dame is affiliated with the conference - there is a reason that they were granted that affiliation and the ACC is not going to give away ND's seat now.

Whether or not ND ever uses that seat is not material to the conversation - the ACC is not inviting three teams.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

The ACC will leave that spot open as long as Notre Dame is affiliated with the conference - there is a reason that they were granted that affiliation and the ACC is not going to give away ND's seat now.

Whether or not ND ever uses that seat is not material to the conversation - the ACC is not inviting three teams.

while i agree fishy, there is 1 small chance they do invite 3 to get to 16.5 right now.

if they were to invite uconn/lville/cincy they could have a 7-7 north south in fball and a 16 game round robin in bball with nd. then if nd ever pulls the triigger they could add a 18th member. like lets say a team from phili as a potential and market grab. its wild and dumb, but were talking swofford. espn may want 3 now becuase it gives them more inventory which added with a gor may help espn pay the acc more or = $ to what they get now contract wise.

Reaction Score

Really? I thought ND gave the ACC the same deal they gave the BE which is 5-6 football games for their partial membership, which is why the Big 10 is pissed and is going raid the ACC again..

Since Notre Dame agreed to join the ACC, the conference has lost only its second school ever (Maryland to the Big Ten) and looks to be in danger of losing others, perhaps to the SEC or Big 12. Are the Irish having second thoughts about their new conference home? Their president: "We're really happy in the ACC. But I am concerned about continual instability of this conference situation."
Brad Wolverton

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not buying academic concerns, given what's in the league already.

I addressed the ND issue above. Is that not possible? If it isn't, then yeah, it's still an issue. They'd have to leave a slot for ND somehow.

They need schools. The possibilities are limited. Their football-first schools want to preserve what little football decency they have, and Cincy helps do that. I think.

I really don't know. I'm just curious why so many people think they do.

Then you're not looking at this logically. The worst usnews ranking in the ACC now is ncstate at 106. FSU is in the 90s. UL is 160 and Cincinnati is 139. They would be the two worst schools in the ACC by a mile. And neither bring major markets of any kind. Only one even brings any national name recognition and that's in hoops where they are still second tier in their own state.

Add that to what Fishy keeps pointing out, that a 1% chance that ND joins for football is worth much more than either school, and its clear that all 3 will not be joining.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Then you're not looking at this logically. The worst usnews ranking in the ACC now is ncstate at 106. FSU is in the 90s. UL is 160 and Cincinnati is 139. They would be the two worst schools in the ACC by a mile. And neither bring major markets of any kind. Only one even brings any national name recognition and that's in hoops where they are still second tier in their own state.

Add that to what Fishy keeps pointing out, that a 1% chance that ND joins for football is worth much more than either school, and its clear that all 3 will not be joining.
I hear all of that, but if they are adding schools, what are their other options? Academic concerns are nice, but this is being driven by athletics, so there has to be some give.

I agree that the ND slot is an issue. T0 me, that means: (1) they are not adding three; (2) they are adding three because they know more are leaving; or (3) they are adding three because they've worked out some deal to keep a seat warm for ND like I suggested above.

I have no idea. Our AD is saying that he doesn't either, and some people think that that means that he knows something. I'm more inclined to take him at his word. I wouldn't be surprised if by week's end we: (1) are exactly where we are now; (2) are en route to the ACC; (3) are en route to the BIG; or (4) are looking to cobble together remnants of the NBE and B12 because we've been left behind by all the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom