Rumor: A lot of big east teams to leave | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rumor: A lot of big east teams to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If there was no vote, why was there a veto?

Don't put words in my mouth.

If UConn was so clearly the front runner, then I find it hard to believe the other 11 schools couldn't convince BCU that UConn was in the conference's best interest, and BCU would be wise to be a team player.

BC would be wise to keep UConn out of the ACC. Using a quote from a BC Insider given to Blaudschun several years ago, "BC is afraid they'll be overtaken by UConn." And they should be.

Reaction Score
What did I say that anyone could possibly disagree with?

That we won two championships. Everyone knows those aren't real. I think USF gets to share a trophy for one of those because of their better OOC record.

Reaction Score
BC would be wise to keep UConn out of the ACC. Using a quote from a BC Insider given to Blaudschun several years ago, "BC is afraid they'll be overtaken by UConn." And they should be.
I agree with that. I've said frequently they have good reason to keep us out, and it doesn't surprise me that they would.

What I don't agree with, is that 11 schools rolled over and let BCU have their way if.....IF.....UConn was widely considered more favorable than Quse/Pitt.
I don't think UConn was widely considered the favorite, as Bladschun (apparently) reported and others have argued. I don't think a majority of schools would cede their power/will to BCU on a matter as important as this if they felt that strongly about UConn.

They either weren't as in love with UConn as we're told to believe on this board, or BCU has more power than anyone in a conference should have.

Reaction Score
Nothing - no one can disagree with you.

Any possibility that you want to actually make your point and debate something, instead of your stalker level comments? What does the Georgia Tech reference refer to? And do you want to tell Rays and Cardinals fans their wild card berths are of little weight and they shouldn't care about the playoffs (or tell me why that's different other than that it doesn't bother you)?

Reaction Score
I agree with that. I've said frequently they have good reason to keep us out, and it doesn't surprise me that they would.

What I don't agree with, is that 11 schools rolled over and let BCU have their way if.....IF.....UConn was widely considered more favorable than Quse/Pitt.
I don't think UConn was widely considered the favorite, as Bladschun (apparently) reported and others have argued. I don't think a majority of schools would cede their power/will to BCU on a matter as important as this if they felt that strongly about UConn.

They either weren't as in love with UConn as we're told to believe on this board, or BCU has more power than anyone in a conference should have.

Why do you think Herbst is so confident? One Nova poster has had a lot of good info over the last several months. He's been reporting on things and every single one of his predictions has come true, from the Nova stadium debacle, to the ACC's interest. Last summer (2010) it was reported in the news that Syracuse and UConn were the top 2 for the ACC.

Couple that with Blaudschun's remark. AND the fact that anyone in that committee room could have submarined (easily) the cloak-and-dagger admission process by letting the cat out of the bag.

I think you severely underestimate the power of a veto.

Reaction Score
Any possibility that you want to actually make your point and debate something, instead of your stalker level comments? What does the Georgia Tech reference refer to? And do you want to tell Rays and Cardinals fans their wild card berths are of little weight and they shouldn't care about the playoffs (or tell me why that's different other than that it doesn't bother you)?

I'm not looking to debate with you on your point, which I agree with, which is why I said no one can disagree with you. I don't know what stalker level comments are or what you are referring to. I also do not follow baseball so Rays and Cardinals references are lost on me.

Georgia Tech refers to their position on thier 2009 ACC championship, in response to your "100% determinable/you are or you aren't" statement which was made tounge-in-cheek.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Glad we moved on from Edsall and whether or not UConn has been better than SFU. I mean who cares about Edsall or SFU? They're irrelevant to our future.

For the record I don't think BC has any ability to keep us from the ACC. Sounds like a typical UConn anti-BC conspiracy theory to me. They picked who they wanted most. It wasn't us. There's no point in whining about it or substituting your judgment of what school is most desirable for the ACC's.

Reaction Score
Why do you think Herbst is so confident? One Nova poster has had a lot of good info over the last several months. He's been reporting on things and every single one of his predictions has come true, from the Nova stadium debacle, to the ACC's interest. Last summer (2010) it was reported in the news that Syracuse and UConn were the top 2 for the ACC.

Couple that with Blaudschun's remark. AND the fact that anyone in that committee room could have submarined (easily) the cloak-and-dagger admission process by letting the cat out of the bag.

I think you severely underestimate the power of a veto.

I think Herbst is confident because I agree with her, and I think UConn will get into the ACC. That has nothing to do with what I originally posted, what I originally disagreed with, and where you have taken our conversation.

I don't underestimate the power of a veto, but perhaps I underestimate the will and fortitude of the other 11 ACC presidents if they let BCU tell them who would and wouldn't get an invite. The threat of a veto works both ways. BCU may have gotten their way, but if UConn was really the top choice, as opposed to interchangeable with Quse without much arguing, then BCU will have 11 presidents ready to step in and threaten to veto their proposals too.

Reaction Score
I think Herbst is confident because I agree with her, and I think UConn will get into the ACC. That has nothing to do with what I originally posted, what I originally disagreed with, and where you have taken our conversation.

I don't underestimate the power of a veto, but perhaps I underestimate the will and fortitude of the other 11 ACC presidents if they let BCU tell them who would and wouldn't get an invite. The threat of a veto works both ways. BCU may have gotten their way, but if UConn was really the top choice, as opposed to interchangeable with Quse without much arguing, then BCU will have 11 presidents ready to step in and threaten to veto their proposals too.

I would agree if there was passion on the part of the other 11 for including UConn - in the absence of that, BC may well be able to steer opinion. How else to explain the Herbst / Leahy meeting?

Reaction Score
I would agree if there was passion on the part of the other 11 for including UConn - in the absence of that, BC may well be able to steer opinion. How else to explain the Herbst / Leahy meeting?

That's my point.

People keep saying we're more valuable than Pitt/Quse. That may be true to a certain extent, particularly if you don't consider what adding Pitt/Quse does to the Big 10 that adding UConn can't do. But if we are head and shoulders above Pitt/Quse, then the other schools wouldn't have folded.

We might have been the first choice, but it's more likely that we are/were considered interchangeable with Quse. Behind ND for obvious reasons. Behind Pitt because of what that addition does to the Big 10's options (and other reasons) but ahead of RU. When BCU pouted and threw their fit, then Quse was likely substituted.

If the ACC can get ND along with UConn, nobody cares how much of a temper tantrum BCU throws.

But if UConn was as desirable as posters here keep saying, then BCU would have been convinced to play nice.

Reaction Score
That's my point.

People keep saying we're more valuable than Pitt/Quse. That may be true to a certain extent, particularly if you don't consider what adding Pitt/Quse does to the Big 10 that adding UConn can't do. But if we are head and shoulders above Pitt/Quse, then the other schools wouldn't have folded.

We might have been the first choice, but it's more likely that we are/were considered interchangeable with Quse. Behind ND for obvious reasons. Behind Pitt because of what that addition does to the Big 10's options (and other reasons) but ahead of RU. When BCU pouted and threw their fit, then Quse was likely substituted.

If the ACC can get ND along with UConn, nobody cares how much of a temper tantrum BCU throws.

But if UConn was as desirable as posters here keep saying, then BCU would have been convinced to play nice.

I agree with you. I can understand the argument of moving on schools that were more valuable to someone else first (SU and Pitt to Big10) in order to shake loose ND and UConn will still be available. Not saying I agree with it, but it is possible.

Reaction Score

Interchangeable with Pitt.
If I only had $100, I'd bet $99 of it that Herbst was assured in no uncertain terms that UConn will be added to the ACC. It's also been reported she was on the phone with BC. Blaudschun probably poked around and asked why she was calling Newton.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Interchangeable with Pitt.
If I only had $100, I'd bet $99 of it that Herbst was assured in no uncertain terms that UConn will be added to the ACC. It's also been reported she was on the phone with BC. Blaudschun probably poked around and asked why she was calling Newton.

Aren't you confident. Unless we can add 18 million in revenue to the ACC, there is no sense in them adding us.

Reaction Score
Aren't you confident. Unless we can add 18 million in revenue to the ACC, there is no sense in them adding us.

Why do you think Pitt and Syracuse add more revenue than we do? And why were they taken?

There are forces here that go beyond your formula, and that are saying the whole of bigger conferences is more than the sum of the parts. You should be dead on right, but if you were Pitt and Syracuse wouldn't have left.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Why do you think Pitt and Syracuse add more revenue than we do? And why were they taken?

There are forces here that go beyond your formula, and that are saying the whole of bigger conferences is more than the sum of the parts. You should be dead on right, but if you were Pitt and Syracuse wouldn't have left.

I feel they add more revenue because the ACC closely examined all their options and determined that Pittsburgh and Syracuse would fiscally help them out the most. It's possible that the ACC added those two in an attempt to force Notre Dame's hand, but the odds of the Irish ever joining a conference are very low. It's also possible that the ACC added Pitt and Syracuse to "beat out" the Big 10, but again, that's very much hypothetical.

UConn may very well join the ACC. In fact, if Missouri stays in the Big 12 and forces the SEC to take an ACC school, I feel it's quite likely we are added. Ultimately, I don't care where we were on the ACC's wish list. I just want a life raft. The good news is that we have plenty of time to earn one: unlike the Titantic, the S.S. Big East sunk over very warm waters.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This thread legitimately makes my head hurt.

4 pages of arguing semantics over USF and UConn's football programs. Which like Rutgers, who we always debate about, are very similar.

We have 2 conferences titles (which I hold above them), but they have had better rankings and a couple more marquee wins. It's not worth blowing a gasket over, christ almighty.

Reaction Score
I feel they add more revenue because the ACC closely examined all their options and determined that Pittsburgh and Syracuse would fiscally help them out the most. It's possible that the ACC added those two in an attempt to force Notre Dame's hand, but the odds of the Irish ever joining a conference are very low. It's also possible that the ACC added Pitt and Syracuse to "beat out" the Big 10, but again, that's very much hypothetical.

UConn may very well join the ACC. In fact, if Missouri stays in the Big 12 and forces the SEC to take an ACC school, I feel it's quite likely we are added. Ultimately, I don't care where we were on the ACC's wish list. I just want a life raft. The good news is that we have plenty of time to earn one: unlike the Titantic, the S.S. Big East sunk over very warm waters.

You may be right, but that argument is entirely circular. There is not a material disparity one way or the other in what Pitt, Syracuse and UConn bring to a conference in terms of direct economic benefit. You need to look much more indirectly.

Reaction Score
My thought exactly. I can't see the Big 10 and its network ceding NY/NE to Big 12 and Longhorn Network. Nor do I see the ACC letting that happen. I refuse to believe this all won't work out just fine for us and I still see the Big 10 in our future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My thought exactly. I can't see the Big 10 and its network ceding NY/NE to Big 12 and Longhorn Network. Nor do I see the ACC letting that happen. I refuse to believe this all won't work out just fine for us and I still see the Big 10 in our future.
There is logic is this. I continue to believe that the NY/NE market will never fully embrace southern football. I think they have much more potential enthusiam for schools from northern states. Michigan, OSU, Penn St., Wisconsin...are all bigger draws for northern Yankees than Clemson, FSU, V-Tech or Miami.

Reaction Score
We'll definitely know more after Sunday. The Big East blog on SB Nation is referencing a report that Temple may be invited this weekend. I would assume that this would only happen if the football schools are in fact going to commit to each other. If Temple and TCU come on board next year and we don't let Pitt and Cuse go we'd have 10 teams. Navy and Air Force would allow us to have a champhionship game if they came on board. If that was our line up going into 2012 I have to wonder if NBC or another company would pony up in a last ditch attempt to hold this thing together. If we came out making more money than the ACC it would be hard to imagine schools leaving for the ACC for less money.

Does anyone know if the ACC TV deal only gets increased once Cuse and Pitt get there?

Reaction Score
We'll definitely know more after Sunday. The Big East blog on SB Nation is referencing a report that Temple may be invited this weekend. I would assume that this would only happen if the football schools are in fact going to commit to each other. If Temple and TCU come on board next year and we don't let Pitt and Cuse go we'd have 10 teams. Navy and Air Force would allow us to have a champhionship game if they came on board. If that was our line up going into 2012 I have to wonder if NBC or another company would pony up in a last ditch attempt to hold this thing together. If we came out making more money than the ACC it would be hard to imagine schools leaving for the ACC for less money.

Does anyone know if the ACC TV deal only gets increased once Cuse and Pitt get there?

They'd be lucky to get 1/3rd of what the ACC gets.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure the ACC can negotiate with ESPN anytime starting now but increased payout does not start till Cuse and Pitt play ACC ball - so 2+ yrs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom