Rules Question | The Boneyard

Rules Question

Reaction Score
We were trying to hold onto our lead with seconds left in the game and Hurley sends Jackson onto the floor and into the game after he had fouled out. My heart was in my throat that that was a technical foul and they would get shots and the ball with the opportunity to tie or take the lead still with time on the clock. Why wasn't that a violation of some sort? You can't send a player into the game that has 5 fouls. Wouldn't just checking into the game be a violation even if it was caught before action took place? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
We were trying to hold onto our lead with seconds left in the game and Hurley sends Jackson onto the floor and into the game after he had fouled out. My heart was in my throat that that was a technical foul and they would get shots and the ball with the opportunity to tie or take the lead still with time on the clock. Why wasn't that a violation of some sort? You can't send a player into the game that has 5 fouls. Wouldn't just checking into the game be a violation even if it was caught before action took place? Thoughts?
Bruce Pearl’s near heart attack on the sideline would suggest he agreed with your thoughts.

Reaction Score
Technically doesn’t become a player until the officials beckon him on to the floor which I did not see them do. Then, they need to notice it before he leaves and then they would call a technical foul. It was extremely close to being one.

Reaction Score
I think the scorer waved him in... His job.
Not the scorer’s job. The scorer hitting the horn is irrelevant, albeit confusing. A substitute Diane become a player until the officials beckon them onto the floor. That is when it becomes a problem.

Reaction Score
As best I can tell it's not a penalty until the play actually starts

Art. 6. A team shall not have more than five players legally on the playing court to participate after the ball becomes live.

PENALTY: (Art. 6) Penalized when the violation occurs after the ball becomes live. Two free throws awarded to the offended team. The ball shall be put back in play at the point of interruption..

Reaction Score
Also..,The TV announcers were saying a lot of the shooting fouls were uncalled for. There always seemed to be contact on the arm.

Reaction Score
Not the scorer’s job. The scorer hitting the horn is irrelevant, albeit confusing. A substitute Diane become a player until the officials beckon them onto the floor. That is when it becomes a problem.
Hurley was saying he checked with the official who said Andre had 4 fouls

Reaction Score
The thing is that can't happen. An assistant coach, Andre Jackson, don't care who but someone has to be responsible for fouls. We should've been T'ed up and Hurley dodged a bullet there.

Reaction Score
Hurley was saying he checked with the official who said Andre had 4 fouls
Fair if that is what happened. Hard to tell in the arena what actually transpired but in order for it to be illegal and a technical foul the officials would have need to bring him on to the floor to make him a player, which from what I could tell never actually happened. The scorer hitting the horn and the announcers saying he’s coming in are irrelevant. It’s all about what the officials did.

Reaction Score
I didn't even notice this when it was happening but someone noticed before the ball was inbounded right? If that's the case I don't get what the concern is

Reaction Score
Also..,The TV announcers were saying a lot of the shooting fouls were uncalled for. There always seemed to be contact on the arm.
Whaley had 4 blocks and 5 fouls. I didn't get to see much of the game but I did see one of those "fouls" called on him. It's as if the refs never saw Whaley block shots before.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Thanks.

Reaction Score
Fair if that is what happened. Hard to tell in the arena what actually transpired but in order for it to be illegal and a technical foul the officials would have need to bring him on to the floor to make him a player, which from what I could tell never actually happened. The scorer hitting the horn and the announcers saying he’s coming in are irrelevant. It’s all about what the officials did.
In my opinion just having a player who has fouled out approach the scorer's table should be a technical. It signals your intent to sub in an illegal player and the opposing coach may make a decision based on that sub.

Reaction Score
In my opinion just having a player who has fouled out approach the scorer's table should be a technical. It signals your intent to sub in an illegal player and the opposing coach may make a decision based on that sub.
I agree with that however the rule doesn’t say that. It all has to do with when a substitute becomes a player in this scenario.

Reaction Score
I assumed that was the rule but for some reason it's not a technical until the ball is inbounded

Reaction Score
I assumed that was the rule but for some reason it's not a technical until the ball is inbounded
Imagine you're in OT and you send Jackson, Martin and Whaley out to the floor and then "Oh nevermind." :cool:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Imagine you're in OT and you send Jackson, Martin and Whaley out to the floor and then "Oh nevermind." :cool:
In that case, wouldn't the other team get the last shift change?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom