Ruh-Rho? David Boren could have a fight on his hands in B12 expansion — from his own board (Dodd) | The Boneyard

Ruh-Rho? David Boren could have a fight on his hands in B12 expansion — from his own board (Dodd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a very strange statement:

"The problem with Cincinnati is ... then they start getting all this money," Weitzenhoffer said. "Then what do we do? We build up somebody we don't want to build up."

Very exclusionary. The P-5 grabbed all the money and they don't want to share it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Freaking old guys. If this guy broke wind, he'd likely shatter into pieces right where he stood.

He thinks ND would join the B12? He mentions that the $ difference isn't much, then why are you concerned at all? And, he doesn't recognize the value of getting in the playoff 6 years out of ten or 7/8 years out of ten.

We won't discuss his waxing poetic about the Bowl alliance, other than the dog track is surely to be concerned about him.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
That's just an old dude swinging his dong around and screaming "look how important I am!!!!". He clearly hasn't received any info and is feeling marginalized. He basically says I have no idea what I am talking about but I'm against it.

Reaction Score
I think most of the criticism here of real journalists is incredibly unfair. But Dodd has a stick up his rear on realignment. There is not story here. The Trustee is quoted as saying he can't stop Boren. Waste of Internet bandwidth.

Reaction Score
That's just an old dude swinging his dong around and screaming "look how important I am!!!!". He clearly hasn't received any info and is feeling marginalized. He basically says I have no idea what I am talking about but I'm against it.

Cuz he can... Weitzenhoffer Family

Reaction Score

"The problem with Cincinnati is ... then they start getting all this money," Weitzenhoffer said. "Then what do we do? We build up somebody we don't want to build up."

Very exclusionary. The P-5 grabbed all the money and they don't want to share it.
They don't want anyone from the "G-5". They view it as welfare, very arrogant stance.

Reaction Score
"Weitzenhoffer added he is an old-school football fan, preferring the old bowl system ruled by the human polls."

Many in Big 12 Country are stuck in the past. Their reluctance to see criteria other than "tradition" is the reason they're disadvantaged today.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

^^^ Winner. He's clueless. Almost all of these folks suffer from severe myopia. His view of OU and what it needs is as distorted as his view of the G5 candidates.

By the way, does anyone else get the sense that Dennis Dodd has that same "welfare" attitude, and simply doesn't want any G5 school to get into the "club"? All of his articles come from a "football blue blood" perspective, and ignore everything else.

Reaction Score
"Weitzenhoffer added he is an old-school football fan, preferring the old bowl system ruled by the human polls."

Many in Big 12 Country are stuck in the past. Their reluctance to see criteria other than "tradition" is the reason they're disadvantaged today.

No, that is not the reason they are disadvantaged today. They are disadvantaged today in part for the same reason UConn is -- because with the exception of Texas, their core territory consists of relatively low population states compared with the SEC and Big Ten. A very good strategy does not change the fact that there were absolutely good reasons for Nebraska to prefer the Big Ten when invited, and MIzzou and Aggies the SEC.

Reaction Score
Weitzenhoffer isn't afraid to throw his weight around to get what he wants at OU, or to stick his nose where it essentially doesn't belong. It's gotten him into trouble before.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Looks like one old man tilting at windmills to me.

An 80-year old guy is easily dismissed when you're talking about making plans for the future.

Reaction Score

That is the real motivation of the P5. Lock out competitors, current and future.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The bad news is Weitzenhoffer is in a position of influence at Oklahoma.

The good news is his comments will likely be taken with a grain of salt.

This article reeks of Dodd advancing last week's agenda. He just had to find a source who would corroborate it on the record. Weitzehoffer's advocacy of a return to the bowl system is all I need to poke holes in his influence as far as conference expansion - and Oklahoma's role in it - is concerned.

Reaction Score
FWIW, one old, tradition-laden, rich geezer's swinging his dong around while another older, yet forward-thinking, politically astute geezer's trying to talk some sense into OU's board of old, rich, tradition-laden geezers. Dodd's following the old dong around, and apparently blind to the smart, insightful guy.

Reaction Score
There's never been any doubt that Dodd's sources are closer to Austin than they are to Norman. I'm sure that Dodd didn't have to be persuaded to write a feature highlighting any potential thorn in David Boren's side.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is probably the last straw. Why would Texas agree to anything if Boren is not guaranteed to get it through his own BoT?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The B12 is an absolute mess. They remind me of the Big East in the early 2000s so much, it is frightening.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If this guy successfully holds this up something like the following scenario will play out:

UT to the ACC and OU/KU to the B1G.

New XII:

ISU
KSU
OSU
TTU
Baylor
WVU
TCU
UConn
Cincinnati
Memphis
BYU (football only)
Boise St (football only)

essentially an improved version of the American. Probably still has a shot at getting into the playoff and covers a decent amount of TV markets (no chance for a network though). 12 for football and 10 for basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom