Ruh-Rho? David Boren could have a fight on his hands in B12 expansion — from his own board (Dodd) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ruh-Rho? David Boren could have a fight on his hands in B12 expansion — from his own board (Dodd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If this guy successfully holds this up something like the following scenario will play out:

UT to the ACC and OU/KU to the B1G.

New XII:

ISU
KSU
OSU
TTU
Baylor
WVU
TCU
UConn
Cincinnati
Memphis
BYU (football only)
Boise St (football only)

essentially an improved version of the American. Probably still has a shot at getting into the playoff and covers a decent amount of TV markets (no chance for a network though). 12 for football and 10 for basketball.

We can't keep playing the same game and expect a different result. The Geezer's argument is completely accurate for the near term, while also being a stupid long term strategy. If UConn wants a seat at the adult table, it needs to make more money now.

Reaction Score
Big 12 needs to hurry up and get this done. They need to get this part of the process out of the way. This is making them look extremely unstable. Nothing will flip that perception like adding UConn, getting a bunch of great publicity in CT and the rest of the northeast, then beating the ACC to the creation of a conference network.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Maybe the B12 is toast??

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter 2h2 hours ago
Live from Amelia Island ...

CiB7RT_WkAAXW2r.jpg

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter 21m21 minutes ago
Just heard applause in the ACC TV meeting. Probably means that league has signed that billion-dollar rights deal. Unconfirmed, at this time.

Just kidding.

Reaction Score
On a plus note, if the B12 self-implodes, maybe the American can scoop up their orphans and become even better. Some part of me would find it hilarious to become bigger/better in football than the ACC.

Reaction Score
On a plus note, if the B12 self-implodes, maybe the American can scoop up their orphans and become even better. Some part of me would find it hilarious to become bigger/better in football than the ACC.
If they explode, the AAC can and should pick up Baylor, TCU, Kansas and K State. This is me assuming Texas, OU, Texas Tech and OSU go to another conference like the Pac-12. I can see Kansas going to the Big 10 and which would work out for Iowa State seeing as they'll kind of be in the same position UConn in as they're not terrible, but they're not good enough to turn heads.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

According to the guys on LandThieves, these Regents are nominated by the Presidents and confirmed by the Governor. They evidently wield little power and are usually big donors who want to feel that their views are being heard. Consensus is also that Boren does not need Regent approval for the Big XII to expand. It isn't a budgetary item or anything requiring their approval.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
According to the guys on LandThieves, these Regents are nominated by the Presidents and confirmed by the Governor. They evidently wield little power and are usually big donors who want to feel that their views are being heard. Consensus is also that Boren does not need Regent approval for the Big XII to expand. It isn't a budgetary item or anything requiring their approval.
The University of Oklahoma - Board of Regents

Interesting that they are all appointed by the Governor. I though most BOR had at least a few elected members. That said, I'm only familiar with a couple of them so my knowledge base is pretty small.

Reaction Score
Maybe Boren just needs a bad cop so that Texas doesn't walk all over them. Now Boren can walk away from a bad deal.

Reaction Score
It is scary how much B12 is like the old Big East. With Texas calling the shots, does it surprise anyone that nothing gets done? OU is in a tough spot. Easiest for them is probably just pack up and leave. Rest of the B12 outside Texas and maybe Kansas should be sweating as much as the old BE football schools. Standing at 10 is pretty much suicide. They will not make it past their GOR expiration date if they keep this up.

Reaction Score

Good god HH, this is an internet CR board. We don't need any posts that speak facts or truths.

Reaction Score
That is the real motivation of the P5. Lock out competitors, current and future.
May not be a viable future. Can't just tell everyone we're the only game in town. There is always pro ball.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Weitzenhoffer wants to feel like he has some control, but I read somewhere, I forget where, the board has no control over conference expansion because it in no way affects the day to day activities of the university.

It looks to me, that once again, the entire expansion of the BigXII is solely in the lap of the Longhorns and their awful network. If they refuse to give up the network then that pretty much signs the death certificate to the BigXII. If they play ball, they I believe the UConn is choice number one because that gives the BigXII schools a platform to show off in NYC in B1G/ACC country.

Reaction Score
It's called leverage and posturing. Texas doesn't care as much about the future of the longhorn network as much as they do getting paid out in full. They are more than willing to give up the network at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom