OT: - Rudy is now free | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Rudy is now free

Reaction Score
Rudy has a bad rap. He is underrated by many. He has spent his career as the 1st or 2nd option on crap teams and has been asked to do too much, save for a brief period on the Grizz. The fact that he can't carry teams does not mean he isn't a good player. I really would love to see him join a team where he is the 4th or 5th best option. The Clippers would have been a good fit last year but who knows what that roster will look like next year.

Reaction Score
Rudy has a bad rap. He is underrated by many. He has spent his career as the 1st or 2nd option on crap teams and has been asked to do too much, save for a brief period on the Grizz. The fact that he can't carry teams does not mean he isn't a good player. I really would love to see him join a team where he is the 4th or 5th best option. The Clippers would have been a good fit last year but who knows what that roster will look like next year.

That's the thing, though. He hasn't been good enough as a first or second option and then when teams have traded him they have gotten better. His skill set isn't necessarily conducive to being a typical third or fourth option. He needs the ball to score, typically for a long period of time. Somebody else in this thread said he was a poor man's Durant. I see him more as a poor man's Melo. To me his best bet is to re-invent himself as a sixth man type for a contending team, maybe like a Shawn Livingston. He does have an elite skill in his ability to get a 40% shot whenever he wants it, but at this point I think the burden of proof is in his court.

Reaction Score
That's the thing, though. He hasn't been good enough as a first or second option and then when teams have traded him they have gotten better. His skill set isn't necessarily conducive to being a typical third or fourth option. He needs the ball to score, typically for a long period of time. Somebody else in this thread said he was a poor man's Durant. I see him more as a poor man's Melo. To me his best bet is to re-invent himself as a sixth man type for a contending team, maybe like a Shawn Livingston. He does have an elite skill in his ability to get a 40% shot whenever he wants it, but at this point I think the burden of proof is in his court.

I agree with everything you said. My issue is that people actually think he is a bad player. He is a bad 1st or 2nd option. I would like to see him in a smaller role where his efficiency would increase. He has (had, at least) before the achilles enough size and athleticism to guard multiple positions and switch on D. I want to see him play with a great team and a great coach who tells him that he is primarily going to be a catch and shoot guy who is asked to bust his behind on defense. Kinda a glorified 3 and D guy who can add a little extra when the shot clock starts ticking down. I think he has this in him, from a talent perspective. His ego may be too great to allow this but a lot of times guys begin to see the light as they get older in the League. Andre Iguodola has an entirely different skillset but was always thought as a lead guy who wasn't good enough to get the job done in Philly. Now he is beloved by everyone as an elite role player when he isn't asked to do too much.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I really would love to see him join a team where he is the 4th or 5th best option.
Huh? Rudy didn't give up a $14M player option to sign for less. And what team would want to spend more than $14M for a 4th option? The Nets and Rudy seem like a match made in heaven.

Reaction Score
Huh? Rudy didn't give up a $14M player option to sign for less. And what team would want to spend more than $14M for a 4th option? The Nets and Rudy seem like a match made in heaven.

The cap is what, 105 million? Role players most folks here haven't even heard of who are making 10-12 million. A washed Loul Deng just got 18 million over 4 years. Evan Turner just got paid 72 million to play behind Lillard and CJ. Bazemore just got 16 million per year after 1 solid season. Wes Matthews nearly got maxed out before the cap jump coming off the exact same injury. Every team is going to have to pay 14 million for good role players. Wings are in very high demand in the League right now.

Coming off this injury, Rudy wants the guaranteed years, I imagine. This is also a guy who called Sacramento basketball hell. I just hope that he is looking for a great team situation. He has already made boukou money, but the millions are hard to pass. But if he wants them, they are certainly there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lace em up against Rudy, JSM, see how you fare. Trash talking one of our alums is simply bad for business. He was always one of my favorites for the record. Best of luck, Rudy! Here's to landing on a competitor and bringing a veteran presence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom