RPI Ratings for Conferences through 11/28 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

RPI Ratings for Conferences through 11/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why do you even root for UCONN with all your negativity about the conference and everything else. Man you are a bitter person who needs a vacation from this to get your self together

Why is your defeatism so complete that you would rather see UConn's athletic program die a slow death than fight to survive?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nice try. While I shouldn't feed your stupidity, I'll take the bait.

Essentially everyone else in this thread told you that, essentially, RPI was useless at the time you posted this. Lo and behold, the AAC's conf RPI has bounced around about 8 spots since your post. Amazing how you chime back in when it went back to 9, from 5. Still proves you wrong - the sample size isn't big enough.

Also, the whole premise of your post is wrong, too, looking at the meager sample. The AAC's biggest issue at moment is a HORRENDOUS (18) OOC SOS, not a performance issue. The top 8 RPI leagues take values from 1-9 in the OOC SOS ranking. The AAC is actually doing quite well in RPI, given the horrid SOS rating. You can nitpick to try and suit your argument, but there is no way, in terms of conference, that we'll dig out of 18, even with UConn's fairly good OOC SOS.

Nitpicking? The AAC was in 9th place when I made my original post on 11/29, and 10 days later, the league is in 9th place, by a hair. Yeah, i was way off with my original analysis.

People don't get to have an opinion on math. The non-conference RPI is about 2/3's done now. You will get a little bit of movement because there are a few big games left between conferences, but things are settling in. The fact that you can't tell the difference between an individual team's RPI and the conference RPI is your problem, not mine.

Reaction Score
Nitpicking? The AAC was in 9th place when I made my original post on 11/29, and 10 days later, the league is in 9th place, by a hair. Yeah, i was way off with my original analysis.

People don't get to have an opinion on math. The non-conference RPI is about 2/3's done now. You will get a little bit of movement because there are a few big games left between conferences, but things are settling in. The fact that you can't tell the difference between an individual team's RPI and the conference RPI is your problem, not mine.
The RPI is not even 1/3 done now. But, I guess if you think Mercer is better than Duke, sure, RPI is 2/3's done.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The RPI is not even 1/3 done now. But, I guess if you think Mercer is better than Duke, sure, RPI is 2/3's done.

People need to stop attacking me from a position of total ignorance about the RPI, or simple math.

I originally wrote a fairly long rebuttal explaining why you are wrong, but that would be wasted on you. The better question to ask is, why do you think the AAC's RPI ranking will be better in 3 months? What will happen to move that needle? Because that is your position.

P.S. You can guarantee that I will keep bumping this thread as I am proven more right and you are proven more wrong.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I think he's saying that, now that OOC is nearing its end, AAC teams won't have much a chance to increase the conference RPI (and further, their own) due to the general weakness of the conference. You get 3 RPI-building teams (us, UL, Memphis), while Duke has all year to play Cuse, Pitt, UNC, FSU, VT, UVA, ND. Those are all potential tournament teams. We have maybe 2 teams beyond the previously mentioned 3.

Reaction Score
I think he's saying that, now that OOC is nearing its end, AAC teams won't have much a chance to increase the conference RPI (and further, their own) due to the general weakness of the conference. You get 3 RPI-building teams (us, UL, Memphis), while Duke has all year to play Cuse, Pitt, UNC, FSU, VT, UVA, ND. Those are all potential tournament teams. We have maybe 2 teams beyond the previously mentioned 3.
Oh, I fully undertand what he is talking about. But remember that the RPI is 75% your opponent's winning percentange and your opponent's opponent's winning percentage. Which means all sorts of things change. That team you played that was 8-0 could end up 8-22. And that's only the beginning of it...

It's still in flux, and it's silly, and intentionally ignorant to think otherwise.

Reaction Score
People need to stop attacking me from a position of total ignorance about the RPI, or simple math.

I originally wrote a fairly long rebuttal explaining why you are wrong, but that would be wasted on you. The better question to ask is, why do you think the AAC's RPI ranking will be better in 3 months? What will happen to move that needle? Because that is your position.

P.S. You can guarantee that I will keep bumping this thread as I am proven more right and you are proven more wrong.
The fact that the conference may finish 9th in the RPI is not, and has never been my point.

My point is that the conference being 9th on 11/29 is meaningless. It was then, it is now, and it will always be so, no matter what you are trying to argue. Things don't matter until February. If the AAC is 9th then, you are still not right, because that was never the argument I was putting forward. The fact that, within 4 days of your initial post, the AAC climbed to 5th in the RPI should have been enough to prove that point, but since you are obsessed with this, it won't be.

Talk about wasting someone's time...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I dont have much in the way of inside information beyond what was shared on this board. I do know that a top public university academically that has a lot of hardware and good geography is on the outside looking in. We are doing something wrong.
I prefer this perspective to the alternative, which is that Herbst has played her cards right and still lost. if that is the case, we are in big trouble.

You never give any consideration to the possibility that the game was not necessarily being played on the level, vis a vie the ACC. Tough proposition when the deck is stacked against you and the dealer is base-dealing

That is why Herbst changed the rules herself. Instead of kowtowing to the 6/10 who thinks she's all that because she hangs out with the cheerleaders, Herbst is going after the Captain of the cheerleaders who just indicated that her relationship with the Senior QB Captain is not as solid as they once thought.

By the way, being right with a flawed argument is akin to not being right at all, no matter how the math works out. It is flawed because it is incomplete. The only number that you should be worried about is the number 9, UConn's RPI as we speak.

I don't think UConn is doing everything in its power to get more revenue. I think our leadership dislikes upsetting the applecart, which always makes UConn the easiest school to say no to. I think the AAC should be actively exploring alternative structures right now, including dissolving the AAC and voiding the ESPN contract.

We are taking a revenue hit going forward because the TV deal, NCAA tournament units, and bowl money will all be a lot less going forward than they were in the past. Going with the flow is the wrong way to act right now.

The courts are smarter than that. Substance-over-form typically relates to tax avoidance, but it certainly has a legal application in the courts. Dissolving the American Athletic Conference and creating, for instance, the National Athletic Conference, with substantially the same member schools minus Tulane and Tulsa, but adding Buffalo and Massachusetts (Like you want to do) would probably not affect the TV contract with ESPN. At best it would make it voidable at their sole discretion.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You never give any consideration to the possibility that the game was not necessarily being played on the level, vis a vie the ACC. Tough proposition when the deck is stacked against you and the dealer is base-dealing

That is why Herbst changed the rules herself. Instead of kowtowing to the 6/10 who thinks she's all that because she hangs out with the cheerleaders, Herbst is going after the Captain of the cheerleaders who just indicated that her relationship with the Senior QB Captain is not as solid as they once thought.

By the way, being right with a flawed argument is akin to not being right at all, no matter how the math works out. It is flawed because it is incomplete. The only number that you should be worried about is the number 9, UConn's RPI as we speak.

The courts are smarter than that. Substance-over-form typically relates to tax avoidance, but it certainly has a legal application in the courts. Dissolving the American Athletic Conference and creating, for instance, the National Athletic Conference, with substantially the same member schools minus Tulane and Tulsa, but adding Buffalo and Massachusetts (Like you want to do) would probably not affect the TV contract with ESPN. At best it would make it voidable at their sole discretion.

It is not a flawed argument. It is obvious to anyone that understands RPI, basketball, or even can describe what a basketball looks like that the AAC is a weak conference and the Big East is a lot better. We have 6 pages of counter arguments to a statement that shouldn't have been that controversial.

Why were the only 3 teams of the OBE that were bound by the old agreement UConn, Cincinnati and USF? Half the conference walked away, gave ESPN the finger, and signed a lucrative long term deal with ESPN's most dangerous competitor, while using the Big East name!!! Where was the lawsuit there? There was no lawsuit because ESPN's agreement is with a league, not the underlying teams. The ACC and Big 12 renegotiated their agreements with weaker hands than the one I am talking about, and they got millions more for each school.

UConn needs something, anything, to stay relevant. Doing nothing is the worst decision possible. Patience is not a virtue here. This feels like a BCU board at times because everyone not only accepts the death sentence on UConn, but shouts down anyone who argues for doing something about it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fact that the conference may finish 9th in the RPI is not, and has never been my point.

My point is that the conference being 9th on 11/29 is meaningless. It was then, it is now, and it will always be so, no matter what you are trying to argue. Things don't matter until February. If the AAC is 9th then, you are still not right, because that was never the argument I was putting forward. The fact that, within 4 days of your initial post, the AAC climbed to 5th in the RPI should have been enough to prove that point, but since you are obsessed with this, it won't be.

Talk about wasting someone's time...

You are saying that you are not arguing that the AAC is good, only we won't know it is not good until February, at which point we will know the AAC is not good. My question is, if we know the AAC will not be good in February, then why are you arguing with my assertion that the AAC is not good right now?

Is it just a coincidence that the order of the Top 10 RPI conferences on 11/29 is likely going to very close to the final conference RPI rankings?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oh, I fully undertand what he is talking about. But remember that the RPI is 75% your opponent's winning percentange and your opponent's opponent's winning percentage. Which means all sorts of things change. That team you played that was 8-0 could end up 8-22. And that's only the beginning of it...

It's still in flux, and it's silly, and intentionally ignorant to think otherwise.

The opponent's opponent's winning percentage is generally pretty close to .500 unless a lot of a school's opponents played cupcakes. If you go just one more derivative, it is almost always within a few bps of .500. The opponent's winning percentage is usually dictated by the conference schedule, which is dictated by non-conference RPI. In other words, the point I have made about a dozen times in this thread.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You are saying that you are not arguing that the AAC is good, only we won't know it is not good until February, at which point we will know the AAC is not good. My question is, if we know the AAC will not be good in February, then why are you arguing with my assertion that the AAC is not good right now?

Is it just a coincidence that the order of the Top 10 RPI conferences on 11/29 is likely going to very close to the final conference RPI rankings?

No, his point is that it doesn't matter if the AAC is good or not, trying to prove it via a metric at a time when the metric is useless is stupid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, his point is that it doesn't matter if the AAC is good or not, trying to prove it via a metric at a time when the metric is useless is stupid.

It doesn't matter if the AAC is good or not? That is the topic of the thread, in case you were not paying attention or simply can't read. And the AAC is ranked 10 now.

And if you are a UConn fan, it matters very much whether the AAC is good or not.

You have been proven wrong. My original post was analysis, not opinion, and the assessment I made weeks ago is being proven more and more right every day.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if the AAC is good or not? That is the topic of the thread, in case you were not paying attention or simply can't read. And the AAC is ranked 10 now.

And if you are a UConn fan, it matters very much whether the AAC is good or not.

You have been proven wrong. My original post was analysis, not opinion, and the assessment I made weeks ago is being proven more and more right every day.

Your original post is a chart showing the 11/28 Conference RPI, followed by your opinion of what it means. There is no analysis.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
You may be right.

The Big East schools walked away because they did not want to be in a league with USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU and the rest of the attendance repellant that is now in this conference. I think they would be receptive to UConn as a football independent and basketball only member. It would also cut the costs of the non-revenue sports to be in a league more closely based in the northeast.

I am not above joining the A10 either. UConn, Cincinnati and Temple would make the A10 the 7th best basketball league. Or UConn could go alone. At least it wouldn't be the train wreck that this AAC is.

To do that, we would probably have to go independent in football. I know a lot of you think the odds are long, but the current situation is a death sentence, so anything would be an improvement. I would even join the MAC for football over staying in this league for all sports.
Absolutely agree, but I think we wil be stuck in the AAC for at least 2-3 more seasons. Optimists are predicting that the Big Ten or ACC will come calling by that time (doesn't look likely at present)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Your original post was about the RPI in November. It's been shot to threads, and you've spent the rest of the time trying to chat about conference "quality" rather than RPI.

The only real RPI problem, as I've said before, is our atrocious conference OOC RPI. Some of that will be helped soon enough (UCONN's 3 big OOC games, Ville against KY, etc), but it's not going to recover enough.

I'll reiterate: I agree with you that our conference sucks. But using the RPI in November to prove it defies logic and sense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Your original post was about the RPI in November. It's been shot to threads, and you've spent the rest of the time trying to chat about conference "quality" rather than RPI.

The only real RPI problem, as I've said before, is our atrocious conference OOC RPI. Some of that will be helped soon enough (UCONN's 3 big OOC games, Ville against KY, etc), but it's not going to recover enough.

I'll reiterate: I agree with you that our conference sucks. But using the RPI in November to prove it defies logic and sense.

It has been shot to threads? The Top 4 on 11/28 is the same order as the Top 4 today. The AAC has an almost identical RPI to what it had on 11/28.

And now you are going full-p&$%y and agreeing with my conclusion from my original post but still attacking me personally.

Do you understand what statistical sampling is at even a high level? It is how polling services can call about 5,000 people nationally and generally nail the outcome of a presidential election within about 1-2 percentage points of the final margin. You don't need to call 130 million people to figure out how 130 million people will vote.

By the time we were 70-80 games into the season, we had a statistically meaningful sample of games to assess the conference. Sure there were a lot of games left, but generally the teams that were winning early on were going to keep winning, and the teams that were losing early on were going to keep losing. The teams that were splitting were going to keep splitting. Sure teams could turn it around, but for every team that picked it up after a slow start there would be a team that wasted a couple of surprising early wins. And it gets very hard to move a conference RPI ranking once the conference schedule starts because conference play is a zero sum game and by playing teams that are already at a certain level, there is a reinforcement loop that impacts all the teams in the league. When UConn was playing in the best league, this would reinforce the Big East at the top because high RPI teams were playing high RPI teams. And now that UConn is in a midmajor, the same thing will happen, just at a different level.

For this particular argument, there is a scoreboard. I am right, and you are wrong.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Still too early to declare that the AAC sucks in hoops?

No, it's not too early. It's also not true. Can you interrupt your ridiculous rant for 10 minutes and do me three favors?

1) Explain to me why in the CBS "Bracketology", the American is predicted to send 4 teams to the dance while the Big East is only predicted to send 3 (even though both leagues have 10 teams each)?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

2) Explain to me why in the AP poll, the American has 3 ranked teams in the top 25 with 1 additional receiving votes, while the Big East only has 1 in the top 25 with 1 additional receiving votes?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/8/seasontype/2

3) Explain to me why the American has almost an identical winning percentage as compared to the Big East (72% vs. 74% respectively)?

These are all rhetorical questions. Top to bottom, the Big East is slightly stronger. But to act as if the American sucks and that the Big East is God's gift to basketball is kidding yourself and others. For the love of God, give it a rest! Stop praying for the day to come when we abandon football to play basketball with Seton Hall and DePaul again... :confused:

Reaction Score
Still too early to declare that the AAC sucks in hoops?

Let me guess, the latest
No, it's not too early. It's also not true. Can you interrupt your ridiculous rant for 10 minutes and do me three favors?

1) Explain to me why in the CBS "Bracketology", the American is predicted to send 4 teams to the dance while the Big East is only predicted to send 3 (even though both leagues have 10 teams each)?

2) Explain to me why in the AP poll, the American has 3 ranked teams in the top 25 with 1 additional receiving votes, while the Big East only has 1 in the top 25 with 1 additional receiving votes?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/8/seasontype/2

3) Explain to me why the American has almost an identical winning percentage as compared to the Big East (72% vs. 74% respectively)?

These are all rhetorical questions. Top to bottom, the Big East is slightly stronger. But to act as if the American sucks and that the Big East is God's gift to basketball is kidding yourself and others. For the love of God, give it a rest! Stop praying for the day to come when we abandon football to play basketball with Seton Hall and DePaul again... :confused:

It's also not relevant. Right now, the AAC is UConn's best option. Arguing the merits of the Big East versus the AAC is a waste of time. Before UConn can move hoops to the Big East it would first have to find a home for football.

Also, basing a move from the AAC to the Big East on a "snap shot" of conference rankings is short sighted. Just as moving from the Old Big East to the AAC may hurt UConn's recruiting, moving from the Old Big East to the New Big East may hurt the New Big East recruiting. Who knows how strong the two conferences will be in the long run. I hope UConn ends up in the B1G or ACC, but in the mean time I'd rather see UConn in a conference with like minded schools as opposed to being in a conference with schools that don't care about football.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
AAC is at #8, a whopping 1 spot above where they were when i started this post almost 2 months ago. The Big East is a short hair out of the third spot, and will likely close that gap when Villanova dump trucks Temple in a couple of weeks.

The aac will lose the #31 and #192 RPI teams next year, and replace them with #130, #221 and #255 RPI programs.

Reaction Score
AAC is at #8, a whopping 1 spot above where they were when i started this post almost 2 months ago. The Big East is a short hair out of the third spot, and will likely close that gap when Villanova dump trucks Temple in a couple of weeks.

The aac will lose the #31 and #192 RPI teams next year, and replace them with #130, #221 and #255 RPI programs.
Good for them with the RPI, but how many teams you think they will get into the tournament?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is a 4 bid league right now. SMU is 2-4 against the Top 100, and only has 5 games left. 4-7 is not good enough, but an SMU gain is another school's loss. SMU is playing a lot of RPI poison games, as are all of the top 5 in the league. Someone is going to lose on Selection Sunday.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting take on the NBE from SBNation. Not sure if it will be blocked, so I copied a select quote below:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...big-east-has-an-identity-but-not-much-glamour

"Their new identity in tow, the current incarnation of the once-great conference has stumbled in its first season, presently holding a 4-24 record against AP top 25 teams."

Since the OP likes to quote Warren Nolan one should take a look at his NPI, which is arguably a better indicator than RPI. In addition, if you look at Predictions-Final Conference Standings (directly below Conference RPI) and scroll down to NBE you'll see what the anticipated RPI standings will be after league play in a conference with a lot of parity and not many top teams. This indicates the NBE will continue to slide down in the standings.

http://WarrenNolan.com/basketball/2014/predictedstandings

Currently, the AAC may get up to 5 teams in the tourney with the NBE getting in 3-4 teams (depending upon how Georgetown does). Having said that, the NBE is a better league top to bottom (emphasis on bottom) and they may finish 4th with the AAC finishing 6th or 7th by the season's end. If you have a myopic view of conference realignment you might think this is important. If you have a broader perspective on CR you will likely find it to be somewhat irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom