RPI drops 20 places just stepping on court with CCSU. | The Boneyard

RPI drops 20 places just stepping on court with CCSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dropped to Rpi of 120.....yuck. Hate to be a downer on Christmas Eve it just bums me out that we have 3 teams with 300+ Rpi's in our non-conference schedule....makes little sense that we played Maine(310), Sacred Heart(340) & CCSU(350) not to mention UNH(224) & UMass-Lowell(255) in same season. I know it's hard to predict sometimes how bad teams will be but we hit the crap jackpot. Can we maybe schedule just 1 America East team in the future and not 3.

We have 7 "Legit" games in non-conference but they are almost cancelled out by these other horrendous teams. You can't schedule all those cupcakes when the bottom half of the AAC is less than stellar. Our Rpi ceiling is probably now in the 50's unless we pull off some good road wins at TX, Cincy, SMU, or Tulsa.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Central makes sense (play an instate team). Maybe UMass-Lowell is a tip to Hockey East. But I don't know why we play the others. Too many.

Reaction Score
I believe he means that our RPI on Christmas Eve doesn't matter.
Hmmm....these games count...little chance CCSU, Maine, UNH, Sacred Heart, Umass-Lowell, Furman crack the top 200 by March. That puts a ceiling on our Rpi that little can fix now. Just saying when you play multiple bad AAC teams why compound the problem.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is hard to dramatically improve our RPI in AAC play.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hmmm....these games count...little chance CCSU, Maine, UNH, Sacred Heart, Umass-Lowell, Furman crack the top 200 by March. That puts a ceiling on our Rpi that little can fix now. Just saying when you play multiple bad AAC teams why compound the problem.
Yes, I understand the arithmetic relevance. I just don't get worked up about it unless/until it matters.

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand the arithmetic relevance. I just don't get worked up about it unless/until it matters.
Not worked up just questioning the logic when we've seen first hand the last few years the lack of respect AAC gets come March. Hopefully it's not an issue and we go 16-2 in AAC but go 13-5 and we'll be sweating it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

And what of the 7 games against P5 teams? Not many schools do that. Those teams are going to offset the rest.

But regardless, UConn is going to go 23-11 and that will be more than good enough to get in precisely because of the tough OOC schedule, and because we'll have Brimah back. This is why I don't look at Texas a a must win. The Texas game is different than the Georgetown game, which is a must win. When the committee looks at UConn, that RPI will be weighed against the fact that UConn played Michigan, Ohio St, Gonzaga, Syracuse, Maryland, Texas and Georgetown. It will make a difference to them. The problem with SMU was that they had 10 losses, had lost the last 3 games to end the season, and OOC they had a bunch of cream puffs and 3 P5s (Arkansas 21-12, Texas A&M 18-16, Virginia 30-7), and they lost two of them. Their best win out of conference was over a .500 Texas A&M team. This is why SMU was left off, though they deserved to be in (by the way, SMU was not even ranked).

I think you might have gotten SMU 2013 confused with last year's SMU team, which was ranked. Last year's SMU team obviously made the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is hard to dramatically improve our RPI in AAC play.
Not really. You just win a lot and you're RPI will be fine. It probably caps out in the league in the low teens, if they went undefeated.

If they go 16-2 in league play and beat Texas/Georgetown, they'd have a Top 20 RPI. For a 5 loss team, that's pretty good.

It's all about winning. The RPI will look bad if they don't. If they do, it will look fine.

Reaction Score
Let's go out and beat Texas. I'll feel much better about our situation if we do. Lose and we will have very little margin for error. Of course we'll have as good a shot as anyone to win the AAC tournament.

And what of the 7 games against P5 teams? Not many schools do that. Those teams are going to offset the rest.

But regardless, UConn is going to go 23-11 and that will be more than good enough to get in precisely because of the tough OOC schedule, and because we'll have Brimah back. This is why I don't look at Texas a a must win. The Texas game is different than the Georgetown game, which is a must win.
Doubt we'd get in at 23-11 unless we win the tourney.

Reaction Score
Dropped to Rpi of 120.....yuck. Hate to be a downer on Christmas Eve it just bums me out that we have 3 teams with 300+ Rpi's in our non-conference schedule....makes little sense that we played Maine(310), Sacred Heart(340) & CCSU(350) not to mention UNH(224) & UMass-Lowell(255) in same season. I know it's hard to predict sometimes how bad teams will be but we hit the crap jackpot. Can we maybe schedule just 1 America East team in the future and not 3.

We have 7 "Legit" games in non-conference but they are almost cancelled out by these other horrendous teams. You can't schedule all those cupcakes when the bottom half of the AAC is less than stellar. Our Rpi ceiling is probably now in the 50's unless we pull off some good road wins at TX, Cincy, SMU, or Tulsa.
You think we lose 7 more games before the AAC tournament? Thats what it would take to end the year with an RPI in the 50s.

At 25-6 we would have an RPI in the low 20s

Reaction Score
It's risky to play decent midmajors because a win is slightly better for the RPI but heaven forbid you catch them on a good night and you lose to Yale.

Reaction Score

But regardless, UConn is going to go 23-11 and that will be more than good enough to get in precisely because of the tough OOC schedule, and because we'll have Brimah back. This is why I don't look at Texas a a must win. The Texas game is different than the Georgetown game, which is a must win. When the committee looks at UConn, that RPI will be weighed against the fact that UConn played Michigan, Ohio St, Gonzaga, Syracuse, Maryland, Texas and Georgetown. It will make a difference to them. The problem with SMU was that they had 10 losses, had lost the last 3 games to end the season, and OOC they had a bunch of cream puffs and 3 P5s (Arkansas 21-12, Texas A&M 18-16, Virginia 30-7), and they lost two of them. Their best win out of conference was over a .500 Texas A&M team. This is why SMU was left off, though they deserved to be in (by the way, SMU was not even ranked).

I think you might have gotten SMU 2013 confused with last year's SMU team, which was ranked. Last year's SMU team obviously made the NCAA.
Those 7 games against P5 teams won't offset the rest of the schedule unless they beat most of those 7 teams. The team is already 1-3 in those games. I hate to worry at this point also but there's not much room for error left on the schedule. Just win baby, just win.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
In my opinion we need to beat Texas. They beat UNC. That will look good on a resume. Additionally we play Tulane a couple of days away. Lose 2 road games? Not good. We beat Texas and Tulane we are back in the T-25.
Just an opinion.

Reaction Score
As much as it is about beating teams like Texas, Georgetown, SMU and Cincy, it is also about not losing to teams like Houston or Tulane. In the first two years of this league we have suffered bad losses in conference. That can't happen this year. If it does, we might well be a bubble team.

I agree that Texas is huge, but we will still have opportunities after playing them. Just not that many.

Reaction Score
What pains me is that anyone ever used this particular stat for anything. I think people now understand its limitations a bit better, I hope that has led to it not being used by the tournament committee,

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Do the rest of you feel playing 5 teams outside of the top 220 is a good idea? I think that was part of the OP's point.
Personally, I think we would argue that we would be better served with tune-up games against 100-200 RPI .
I believe we will be fine too, but why are we playing 5 teams like these? They do little to help us.

Reaction Score
Not worked up just questioning the logic when we've seen first hand the last few years the lack of respect AAC gets come March. Hopefully it's not an issue and we go 16-2 in AAC but go 13-5 and we'll be sweating it.
It's loyalty. If Howie requests for his team to play us we oblige if we can. What's RPI amoung family?

Tom as well. They need our help every now and again.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We need to win either Texas or Georgetown. But in my opinion, if we have double-digit losses by conference tournament play (with those losses against Cincy, SMU, Memphis, or Tulsa) I think we get snubbed. Just because we have beaten no one.

Reaction Score
Those 7 games against P5 teams won't offset the rest of the schedule unless they beat most of those 7 teams. The team is already 1-3 in those games. I hate to worry at this point also but there's not much room for error left on the schedule. Just win baby, just win.

Well, they are 2-3. Ohio State and Michigan. I'm expecting they finish 3-4.

All I'm saying is that at the end of the day, teams get credited for 3-4 OOC records when they play that many good teams. I remember Michigan St.. finished with 15 losses and got into a tourney for precisely this reason. Granted, they were in the B1G, and I ain't saying that UConn can get away with 15 losses. But I also think that if UConn holds its own in conference (and that means finishing 1st or 2nd in the conference tourney, 1st-3rd over the season) then it gets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom