OT: - Roy Williams retires | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Roy Williams retires

Reaction Score
I've been told by someone who knows him that he would never leave Nova for another college job. Only job he would entertain leaving for is the perfect NBA job but that's highly unlikely. Nova lifer.
Right, lots of reasons not to leave Villanova:
-he makes about $4.5M so he doesn't need the money
-he doesn't need the aura of UNC to win championships
-he'll be 60 this year and may just like his life and the school he's at
-hard to follow a "legend"
-may be more baggage left behind by the "legend"
-he turned down a tremendous offer two years ago from a legendary program that is clean

Reaction Score
I think that will certainly be an issue, they have to sell kids on the "legacy" I guess.

They have an incredible recruiting class that could get even better today, if K doesn't go to a Final Four again soon.. Just walk away, it's clear that he's slipped the past 5 years.

Also in here to make the hot take that Roy Williams is a horribly overrated coach.

However the gif of him dancing his way into the locker room is a top 5 gif of all time. Tried to post it but I can't find it in the search function here.
If 2 elite 8s and a S16 in the past 5 years (not counting last season's abrupt end to the season due to covid) is "slipping" sign me up for that for UConn for the next 5 years as a worse case scenario. A 5 year stretch like that for UConn would set them up nicely for the future after those 5 years.

Reaction Score
Right, lots of reasons not to leave Villanova:
-he makes about $4.5M so he doesn't need the money
-he doesn't need the aura of UNC to win championships
-he'll be 60 this year and may just like his life and the school he's at
-hard to follow a "legend"
-may be more baggage left behind by the "legend"
-he turned down a tremendous offer two years ago from a legendary program that is clean
Spot on. UCLA job is kinda like the Lakers and the UNC job is maybe the Yankees, so every big name is mentioned b/c this in the highest tier of the 'best jobs', but that doesn't mean it is realistic for either UNC or the coach. Though I think you meant, "Wright: Lots of reasons not to leave Villanova. :)

Reaction Score
If 2 elite 8s and a S16 in the past 5 years (not counting last season's abrupt end to the season due to covid) is "slipping" sign me up for that for UConn for the next 5 years as a worse case scenario. A 5 year stretch like that for UConn would set them up nicely for the future after those 5 years.
We've had 2 5-year stretches where we won 2 NCs. Within the last 22 years. No one else can say that.

Reaction Score
Still pisses me off that NC got off easy while the NCAA ignored their duty to the student athletes. They should have acted, if nothing else determining eligibility after removing this course from the student's grades.
What's more amazing, to me, is that it still pisses me off after this time. As soon as the topic comes up I get instantly angry, so to my feeling about Duke always getting off or never even investigated for their transgressions.
So much for having a "Good Friday".
Take a breath. The NCAA under no circumstances will tell a university what class or classes it should or can accept. UNC ran a sleazy operation, but the authority for taking action is the accrediting organization for colleges and universities in their area and the university’s governing board. The NCAA is not and can not do that. It isn’t authorized to do it nor is it capable.

Reaction Score
We've had 2 5-year stretches where we won 2 NCs. Within the last 22 years. No one else can say that.
No question UConn was a Major power during the Calhoun years. Some of that carried over into Ollie’s first couple but after that it all crashed and burned. The real pier programs manage to right themselves after a bad coaching selection. A few like Kansas go from good to good. Some really struggle like Indiana has post knight. UConn will be interesting to watch and so will UNC. They have the resources to be successful. I think they’ll be fine. But it isn’t easy.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Juwan Howard is coaching Michigan basketball right now and was a hair from the FF?

I think that recent success plus Ewing & others will cause them to at least speak with every prominent alumnus. There's a budding case that an NBA star surrounded by good assistants is a viable formula.
Kenny Smith would be interesting!
Stackhouse as others have said will get a look.
Isn't Rasheed coaching somewhere now?
Vince Carter (figurehead)?
Brendan Haywood (more of a tv star than NBA)?
I think Kenny Smith is the cutoff, Jordan vintage guys are out; no Worthy, Sam Perkins, and of course no retread coaches like George Karl or Billy Cunningham or Mitch Kupchak but maybe Larry Brown ;)
Larry in the bench for sure.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Am I the only one worried? Coach could parlay another successful rebuild. He’s done it in the past.

Reaction Score
No question UConn was a Major power during the Calhoun years. Some of that carried over into Ollie’s first couple but after that it all crashed and burned. The real pier programs manage to right themselves after a bad coaching selection. A few like Kansas go from good to good. Some really struggle like Indiana has post knight. UConn will be interesting to watch and so will UNC. They have the resources to be successful. I think they’ll be fine. But it isn’t easy.
Money has always spoken loudly at UNC. That and no classes.

Reaction Score
Take a breath. The NCAA under no circumstances will tell a university what class or classes it should or can accept. UNC ran a sleazy operation, but the authority for taking action is the accrediting organization for colleges and universities in their area and the university’s governing board. The NCAA is not and can not do that. It isn’t authorized to do it nor is it capable.
You may be overlooking the fact that uNC admitted there was fraud and said they'd been sanctioned (mildly of course) by the Southern Accrediting organization as a result of the fraud.
So, if the courses were fraudulent they didn't exist. If they didn't exist then the "student athletes" didn't have the requisite number of course hours for some or all of their semesters. (Rashad McCants, for example took four Afro and African American courses in at least one of his six semesters and that would equate to ZERO actual course hours.)
The NCAA had a right and duty to give them the Death Penalty and take away the two NC's they won in those 18 years of fraud but they didn't. Why? Maybe because TV ratings drive the revenue stream the NCAA gets and the loss wouldn't give them what they need to look into KO's actions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom