ROY: Two Player Race? | The Boneyard

ROY: Two Player Race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is Chiney a lock or has Sims worked her way into the conversation?

Chiney: 15.9 ppg (8th) and 8.6 rbg (7th)
Sims: 15.6 ppg (10th) and 4.2 apg (7th)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's close, though Odyssey may be overshadowed by Skylar. I'd say CO 50%, OS 35%, McBride 15%, very roughly. Keep in mind team success--if Conn misses the playoffs, it hurts Chiney. Also, the season is not over. If Chiney slumps and Kayla has a few huge games in wins, things can change. Don't vote yet!

Chiney is a great rebounder, but still has a very mediocre midrange game, in my view. But she's already the best player on her team.

Reaction Score
I'd give it to Chiney. Sims has had moments where she's been fantastic, but Chiney has been far more consistent. Add to that that Sims is shooting sub 40% on the season, and it seems pretty clear to me.

I will say this, though. I think that Sims has the better upside. Chiney is likely a perennial all-star, but Sims has the capacity to be one of the best guards the league has seen.

Reaction Score
What happened to Shoni Shimmel? Wasn't she the star of the All-Star game? Obviously, I don't follow the WNBA too closely...
She had a fantastic all-star game, but she hasn't been fantastic throughout most of the season. She's also been locked by Cooper into the PG role, and she's playing behind Dumerc and Thomas, which limits her minutes. Her minutes are also limited by the fact that, at this point, she's a defensive liability at this level. And, once you move beyond her defense and her limited minutes, she's shooting 34% for the year, which simply does not get the job done.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Chiney is a lock, I think. Interestingly, McBride has better per-36 minute scoring numbers than Sims but Sims logs considerably more minutes.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
As opposed to MVP, I don't think the success or lack thereof of a team matters in the ROY race. Often, their team is NOT good because is fared poorly enough the previous year to get a high pick -- aka (often) the ROY.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chiney gets a lot more press than Odyssey, partly because of the connection with Nneka and the "Sister Act" aspect.

Reaction Score
Chiney has been more consistant throughout the season for her team.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Chiney is consistent and is a spark (yes, there is a pun with her sister). She is a true leader, positively impacting others.
Look at the stats.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chiney is consistent and is a spark (yes, there is a pun with her sister). She is a true leader, positively impacting others.
Look at the stats.

Which stat demonstrates her leadership and how she impacts others?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Which stat demonstrates her leadership and how she impacts others?

For the record, Chiney gets my vote, also. It took Odyssey a bit longer to adjust to WNBA play and Chiney seemed comfortable from the start. Chiney may even be better than Nneka, which I never thought I'd say.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After watching Tulsa vs LA tonight I'm now leaning Sims: 30 points 7 assists and 5 rebounds. It took her a little while to adjust to the WNBA but now that she has she is proving to be one of the best guards in the league.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It's simply a popularity contest that Chiney Ogumike will win, the best Rookie in the WNBA without question is Kayla McBride, followed closely by Bria Hartley. They will be the faces of the league in 2-3 years, Shonni Schimmel is just what she was at Louisville, all sizzle and no steak, that's why the WNBA All-Star Game was the perfect vehicle for her, it was playground ball with no pressure to have to win. At winning time, no-look passes, 29-foot 3's and overhead backwards scoop shots don't really matter. You have to play winning BB and she's never proven she can do that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's simply a popularity contest that Chiney Ogumike will win, the best Rookie in the WNBA without question is Kayla McBride, followed closely by Bria Hartley. They will be the faces of the league in 2-3 years, Shonni Schimmel is just what she was at Louisville, all sizzle and no steak, that's why the WNBA All-Star Game was the perfect vehicle for her, it was playground ball with no pressure to have to win. At winning time, no-look passes, 29-foot 3's and overhead backwards scoop shots don't really matter. You have to play winning BB and she's never proven she can do that.

Based on the following stats I cannot see how anyone can call McBride the best rookie "without question." Sims is obiviouly having a bigger impact than McBride and in the past 7 games has averaged 25 PPG.

McBride
PPG: 13.2
RPG: 2.4
APG: 1.7
A/TO: 1.37
Steals: 1.1

Sims (in the top 10 in three categories)
PPG: 16.1 (first among rookies and 8th in the league)
RPG: 2.7
APG: 4.3 (6th in the league)
A/TO: 2.15 (9th in the league)
Steals: 1.4

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Based on the following stats I cannot see how anyone can call McBride the best rookie "without question." Sims is obiviouly having a bigger impact than McBride and in the past 7 games has averaged 25 PPG.

McBride
PPG: 13.2
RPG: 2.4
APG: 1.7
A/TO: 1.37
Steals: 1.1

Sims (in the top 10 in three categories)
PPG: 16.1 (first among rookies and 8th in the league)
RPG: 2.7
APG: 4.3 (6th in the league)
A/TO: 2.15 (9th in the league)
Steals: 1.4
What are the records of the two teams they play for? Sims put up astronomical numbers last year at Baylor and where did she end up as opposed to K-Mac? Sims will always be a stat-stuffer, because of the type of game she plays and how she has to dominate the ball to be effective. K-Mac's team will always win because of the type of game she plays and how she doesn't always have to have the ball in her hands to be effective.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What are the records of the two teams they play for? Sims put up astronomical numbers last year at Baylor and where did she end up as opposed to K-Mac? Sims will always be a stat-stuffer, because of the type of game she plays and how she has to dominate the ball to be effective. K-Mac's team will always win because of the type of game she plays and how she doesn't always have to have the ball in her hands to be effective.

You consider a record of 13-16 that of a winner? Shouldn't her team have a better record based on "the type of game she plays and how she doesn't always have to have the ball in her hands to be effective"?

You really think that comparing two losing records as a barometer for which player is having a better rookie season? Chiney's team also has a losing record, so I guess that elimiates her from the discussion, also.

Based on your criteria, the candidates for ROY should come from the team with the best record.
  • Tiffany Bias - Phoenix Mercury

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
You consider a record of 13-16 that of a winner? Shouldn't her team have a better record based on "the type of game she plays and how she doesn't always have to have the ball in her hands to be effective"?
Last time I checked SA is in third place in the Western Conference and a playoff team and Tulsa is 5th at 11-19 and not going to be around for the post-season party. So Sims can watch K-Mac be effective in the playoffs, without the ball in her hands and so can you, as well as Chiney Ogumike!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Last time I checked SA is in third place in the Western Conference and a playoff team and Tulsa is 5th at 11-19 and not going to be around for the post-season party. So Sims can watch K-Mac be effective in the playoffs, without the ball in her hands and so can you, as well as Chiney Ogumike!!

News Flash: Point Guards have the ball in their hands...a LOT. Let's see Chiney and McBride run the point and see how effective they are.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Yeah, that losing record 13-16 is MUCH more impressive that the losing record of 11-19. LOL

Looks like McBride, Sims and Chiney are all losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom