Rough night for Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rough night for Hurley

Reaction Score
We have some talent but we don't have enough talent to sit key guys with 2 fouls and still win. Need to take the risk, especially if the alternative is have Vital play point guard and turn it over 4 times in a few minutes.
That stretch with him at point was hard to watch

Reaction Score
Two years ago we would have looked at this loss as a moral victory. I think Dan Hurley is taking very concise and correct steps forward. One more year of his recruits and I truly believe we will be back in the top twenty (or maybe better).

Reaction Score
Hurley is still learning how to manage big time games. I was underwhelmed watching Rhody in the NCAAs when he put together a solid team. I think I see a strong coach developing players, bringing in talent and motivating them. Not sure he is a Hall of Fame in-game tactician. Got to give him some time to adjust and grow too.

Reaction Score
We've gone over how he's allowing Vital and Gilbert to get away with bad IQ bball over and over and how it's cost us in all three losses. The sitting on his timeouts as things are unravelling is another bugaboo that's happened in all three losses, and the hockey line subs has happened in every game. I also don't like keeping both Gilbert and Akok out at the same time with 2 fouls, I would have to review the tape to see if that's the case but some other posters have pointed it out. That one I can undertand more but it's also when the wheels came off.

My biggest gripe is with the gameplan. I watched Indiana's previous two games and it was apparent ballhandling and passing were far from a strength, at times they could barely get the ball inbounded and pressure had them turning it over left and right. I said before the game we had to show them pressure looks because of it and as we know our offense is a slog in the halfcourt. I'm really surprised we didn't try and force them out of their comfort zone. Our defense was fine in the halfcourt and we lost this game because of turnovers and lack of offense but some trapping would have boosted our offense and limited our turnovers, IMO. We have to start playing to our strengths more.
I wanted to see some half court trap or full court press here too (assuming I understood your post correctly). Even just a little here and there to change things up and show them different looks. Our half court defense was really good I thought but changing the tempo would have been to our benefit.
Our guards were awful offensively but I felt some of that was because Indiana's half court defense was really good. They kept the guards bottled up and didn't allow them to create anything. I think Vital and Gilbert are better in open court situations defensively where they are good at creating steals and offensively where they are good in transition. They get bogged down in a slow half court game and end up settling for contested bad threes or forcing drives.
I also don't like the substitution patterns. UConn was killing them early and we pull almost the entire team when Indiana takes a time out? Why?
Get Bouk in earlier and do a better job mixing the starters and the bench. Also, why aren't we running some basic screens for Bouk? Or at least it doesn't look like we are.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
The fact that this team struggles so much offensively makes no sense. This team has offensive talent. It has to be the coaching. We need an offensive identity, are we a transition team are we a half court team? Why aren’t we running sets to get Tyler Phommachanh and Bouk open shots? I know Hurley spends the majority of his practices on defense but what we really need is better offense, we need cleaner looks.

Reaction Score
I wanted to see some half court trap or full court press here too (assuming I understood your post correctly). Even just a little here and there to change things up and show them different looks. Our half court defense was really good I thought but changing the tempo would have been to our benefit.
Our guards were awful offensively but I felt some of that was because Indiana's half court defense was really good. They kept the guards bottled up and didn't allow them to create anything. I think Vital and Gilbert are better in open court situations defensively where they are good at creating steals and offensively where they are good in transition. They get bogged down in a slow half court game and end up settling for contested bad threes or forcing drives.
I also don't like the substitution patterns. UConn was killing them early and we pull almost the entire team when Indiana takes a time out? Why?
Get Bouk in earlier and do a better job mixing the starters and the bench. Also, why aren't we running some basic screens for Bouk? Or at least it doesn't look like we are.
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

Reaction Score
You have a player on the team Vital, who should be a backup guard on a high level division one team,believing that he is the man and not a supporting cast member. Unfortunately for us there has not been anyone else capable of playing that position for four years. As a result the coaches have not been able to glue him to the bench at times when he deserves it. He obviously is incapable of processing his consistent failures when trying to be the hero by himself instead of working to be a release valve for someone capable of making their own shot.

I believe Hurley made a huge mistake leaving him in the first half. He should have put Gaffney back in. Gaffney may not have been productive but most likely would not have made the turnovers. More important it would have acknowledged the incompetency of Vital running the point.
Yeah. Why wasn’t adams on pg?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'd like to know -- what, in the realm of players making mistakes, is "not coaching" if shot selection is?

Is this something that really needs an explanation?

Reaction Score
Our offense flow and spacing was terrible last night. Vital had a stretch were if you weren’t yelling get him out at ur TV u have no pulse. Gilbert needs to think distribute and run the show and score when it allows. This loss and st.joes loss are no doubt on Hurley. He appears to be a coach who creates a great culture, can recruit, can scout, gets guys to play hard, but X and O stuff I havent Seen. Also hate the sitting guys with two fouls rule.

bouknignt had a dear in the headlights look last night. That’s not on Hurley.

brendan Adams also completely no showed.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. Our guards are undersized, inconsistent long-range shooters, not great finishers, low basketball IQ and have a questionable handle.

-How many times have you seen an ill-advised shot?
-How many times have they gone to the hoop and get swallowed up by the trees?
-How many times have they had the inability to get past their defender with end game being a turnover?

Where Bazz, Boat and Kemba would cross up a defender, I often see our guards trying to go low between defenders trying to force a lane.

I LOVE the intensity that CV and AG bring. I respect the work that both have put in and by no means do I believe that they are terrible players but at times their lack of patience hurts us. Carlton was eating down low and we stopped going to him. Our best shooter Polley, gets limited touches on the perimeter.

Also, the bright lights of the big city star-struck our younger guards. Can't argue that, these pups will grow in time.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. Our guards are undersized, inconsistent long-range shooters, not great finishers, low basketball IQ and have a questionable handle.

-How many times have you seen an ill-advised shot?
-How many times have they gone to the hoop and get swallowed up by the trees?
-How many times have they had the inability to get past their defender with end game being a turnover?

Where Bazz, Boat and Kemba would cross up a defender, I often see our guards trying to go low between defenders trying to force a lane.

I LOVE the intensity that CV and AG bring. I respect the work that both have put in and by no means do I believe that they are terrible players but at times their lack of patience hurts us. Carlton was eating down low and we stopped going to him. Our best shooter Polley, gets limited touches on the perimeter.

Also, the bright lights of the big city star-struck our younger guards. Can't argue that, these pups will grow in time.
Once they are in the arena it should be like any other place they play. I read that the crowd inside was under 11,000 people, about the same as Gampel. Yes it was on national TV but they routinely play in front of larger crowds than that.

Reaction Score
We lost because we turned the ball over 22 times. This mostly happened tryng to force the ball into Carlton who did not get deep enough position, so even when he got the ball cleanly he had ball handle. Clean that up and the rotation and losing habits are not a problem.

Reaction Score
I believe Hurley made a huge mistake leaving him in the first half. He should have put Gaffney back in. Gaffney may not have been productive but most likely would not have made the turnovers. More important it would have acknowledged the incompetency of Vital running the point.

Someone mentioned that Gaffney did not/cannot face up at when he has the ball. I recall at least 2 times when after crossing half court, Hurley provided Jalen with instructions. This forced Jalen to face DH and listen while his man bodied up. DH never did that with CV.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our offense flow and spacing was terrible last night. Vital had a stretch were if you weren’t yelling get him out at ur TV u have no pulse. Gilbert needs to think distribute and run the show and score when it allows. This loss and st.joes loss are no doubt on Hurley. He appears to be a coach who creates a great culture, can recruit, can scout, gets guys to play hard, but X and O stuff I havent Seen. Also hate the sitting guys with two fouls rule.

bouknignt had a dear in the headlights look last night. That’s not on Hurley.

brendan Adams also completely no showed.

I didn't see that. I saw frustration. He looked like Gordon Hayward looked for the Celtics last year. Like a guy who was supposed to get the ball and instead watched the PG fail to run the offense as it should be. What I want to see him do is demand the ball, but I don't think that's fair to put on him.

Reaction Score
I didn't see that. I saw frustration. He looked like Gordon Hayward looked for the Celtics last year. Like a guy who was supposed to get the ball and instead watched the PG fail to run the offense as it should be. What I want to see him do is demand the ball, but I don't think that's fair to put on him.

No, he looked passive and overwhelmed to me. It's going to happen from time to time to any freshman.

Reaction Score

Same. He wasn't scared. He looked confident. We just had him standing in the corner way too often.
Also, his defense especially on the ball has not been bad at all.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Our offense flow and spacing was terrible last night. Vital had a stretch were if you weren’t yelling get him out at ur TV u have no pulse. Gilbert needs to think distribute and run the show and score when it allows.

What's weird is, when these guys decide to take over like veterans do, they do it in a completely wrong fashion -> ie they jack a quick or bad shot. Result is effectively a turnover. It's almost like they have no feel for it; obviously Vital doesn't, but Gilbert surprises me that way.

Reaction Score
What's weird is, when these guys decide to take over like veterans do, they do it in a completely wrong fashion -> ie they jack a quick or bad shot. Result is effectively a turnover. It's almost like they have no feel for it; obviously Vital doesn't, but Gilbert surprises me that way.
Vital has always been like that but I didn't expect it from Gilbert and legitimately thought he may have turned the corner before the last game. I certainly didn't expect the two of them to be our two biggest weaknesses.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that Gaffney did not/cannot face up at when he has the ball. I recall at least 2 times when after crossing half court, Hurley provided Jalen with instructions. This forced Jalen to face DH and listen while his man bodied up. DH never did that with CV.

Honestly think Hurley has practically given up on CV. He's like that wild stallion that just won't break.

Reaction Score
I think he needs to try to play faster whenever we can. IU is deep, so maybe he wanted to avoid it yesterday. But we are a bad half court team. I'm not sure I recall a UConn team since about 2006 that was a good half court offensive team.

The other thing is to take some risks. He came off a game where CV and AG had their best games, Carlton was a beast and Polley was very good. The bench did nothing. Fine, roll with that until it doesn't work. Yesterday, it was clear within moments of AG going out and CV playing PG, that that was not going work. And he left it that way, with no time outs or subs, until our lead was erased and had built a lead. Unacceptable. Play Gaffney. Play Adams. You cannot leave CV in at the point in that situation. I don't care if you don't trust young guards, you have to. You have no choice. On a similar note, Bouk needs to play with the better guys, not the subs all the time.
2009 uconn was a great halfcourt team on offense.
but anyway, what i've noticed is that when we move the ball very quickly, the offense tends to be way way better. it gives the defense little time to man up on every little inch. because we were so slow most of the time we couldn't get a good shot.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If he has he has a funny way of showing it by making him the PG for over 20 minutes.

Giving up on trying to coach him. Throwing Gaffney to the wolves I'm not sure would have worked.

Reaction Score
I think a program in our position is lucky to have Dan Hurley but the guy isn't infallible and there are some great points being brought up on this thread. Nobody is saying they're not happy he's here or that he should be on the hot seat. I say give the guy as long of a leash as he needs.

I think Hurley is an elite recruiter (which is a huge part of the job). I also think he's a good motivator. Guys see how much he cares and it seems like that makes them care more too. I also think he's likable. I enjoy his personality for the most part and like him as the face of the program.

Dan Hurley is not a great in-game coach. He's just not. For all the reasons pointed out here as well as others. I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying that he's...fine, okay, average for a high major, whatever. There's enough evidence here and at past jobs to back that up. There will be games he gets out-coached or his game prep is off. There's also not much evidence yet that he can develop talent at this level. He might! Not saying he won't (i THINK he can) but wait for evidence that he can get guys to develop new skill sets or improve on areas they're weak. Did you watch his good Rhode Island teams? I did. He had success because he got good players (for that league) and then got those good players to play harder than everyone else. He'll do the same here. He'll bring in good recruiting classes and get them to play hard and that is what will turn us around. That's how he turned the smaller programs around and it will be no different here. This journey will be better if we accept Hurley for what he is and not be angry about what he is not.

This next part is harder because it's critical of his character and personality which I generally admire:

YES he needs to stop using the words, "Losing habits" We all see what he's doing and it's just ego. That makes him look like a whiner who is throwing guys under the bus. He did it after the St Joe's loss much worse. Let the media say that you have some guys you wouldn't have recruited. He can't even insinuate it. He just can't. Not in year two. He's their coach. He could have told them to transfer or he could sit them. He values them enough to play them over freshman he's recruited so he doesn't get to pick and chose when they're his players. Coaches have inherited teams with much worse players and gotten much better results. We like you, Danny. We see what happened with Ollie and what you're dealing with. You don't need to lay down bread cumbs for the fans and media. We understand the situation. Just have your teams back.

Reaction Score
Could DH benefit from his George Blaney?? A senior level former HC to help him in game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom