Rotten Tomatoes Eliminates Want to See Score | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rotten Tomatoes Eliminates Want to See Score

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm interested to see the movie. Other than the first Iron Man when it came out, I never really got into the MCU until about 6 months ago, when my wife had interest in watching all the movies and I joined her. Now I'm really intrigued to see how things wrap up in Endgame (although I'm definitely afraid Captain Marvel is just going to use time travel or some crap like that).

As for the controversy about the movie, Brie Larson definitely doesn't do it for me. She never really had much charisma in anything I've seen her in, so I'm not really looking forward to her performance. As for all the other crap, any negativity I've seen around the movie is always centered around the fact that she's a woman and people complaining for thinly veiled political reason (I mean, I could've guessed what the National Review's...well, review...would look like). There are perfectly valid reasons why the movie might not be great; Captain Marvel being overpowered, do they lean too heavy on making political statements, are they going to come up with some bogus, not well earned plot device to reverse the end of Infinity War...that kind of stuff. But I'm willing to give the movie a shot. The same people I saw complaining about Captain Marvel a few months ago were fanboys that complained about a female Dr. Who, and honestly I saw a few episodes of hers and thought the quality of the show was about the same as previous episodes. So I'm not convinced that all of the bitching and moaning is necessarily justified. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Rotten Tomatoes scores for Captain Marvel: critics 81% audience 36%! Holy crap! Is that the biggest discrepancy between critics and fans ever? Are they gonna blame this on trolls? Wow.

Reaction Score
I don't watch shows or movies about vampires, zombies or superheroes.
My absolute favorite variety of comment on virtually any site, blog, etc.

Only surpassed by "We don't even OWN a TV"

Reaction Score
There's no doubt I will catch it with my daughter. Only question is whether I pay to see it in the theater. I won't even rent Solo, by the way. Disney has to make amends over Star Wars before I give them any more money on that score.
https://rarbg.to/torrents.php?imdb=tt3778644

Freeing you to see what all the hub-bub is about, without giving a single penny to Disney.

Reaction Score
Solo didn't deserve the backlash it got. It was a perfectly good star wars film
Thing is, Solo didn't get the backlash over Solo. It was on the receiving end of the backlash over Last Jedi. And deservedly so. The only thing Marvel has going for it is the movie directly following this likely failure is Endgame, and it won't suffer any kind of backlash.

Reaction Score
What ? You're actually quoting the "critic score". That isn't to be believed at this point. Audience score currently sits at 35%. I'd have to go read a handful to get a sense which direction is spamming the score.

UPDATE: The 35% could be a high water mark. Four and 5 star reviews are all about countering "man babies" voting it down. Not sure even 35% of the reviews are actually about how good the movie is, rather, how much they love Brie Larson and hate men.

Great job, Disney.

Reaction Score
What ? You're actually quoting the "critic score". That isn't to be believed at this point. Audience score currently sits at 35%. I'd have to go read a handful to get a sense which direction is spamming the score.

UPDATE: The 35% could be a high water mark. Four and 5 star reviews are all about countering "man babies" voting it down. Not sure even 35% of the reviews are actually about how good the movie is, rather, how much they love Brie Larson and hate men.

Great job, Disney.
That’s usually a starting point for me. Anything 80% and above is usually a good tell it’s at least not a crap movie. Then I actually go read a review or two from reviewers I trust. I would absolutely never put my faith in aggregate scores on a site like RT though. Maybe IMDB, but that usually takes longer before you can trust it. The trolls are always the first to descend. You know, like exactly what the whole point of this thread is.

Reaction Score

Great job, Disney.
The audience score is getting brigaded on both ends. Best to look at the critics when things like this happen

Reaction Score
That’s usually a starting point for me. Anything 80% and above is usually a good tell it’s at least not a crap movie. Then I actually go read a review or two from reviewers I trust. I would absolutely never put my faith in aggregate scores on a site like RT though. Maybe IMDB, but that usually takes longer before you can trust it. The trolls are always the first to descend. You know, like exactly what the whole point of this thread is.
I actually go by the first page of most helpful reviews at IMDB. You can actually find movies where the reviews are only "meh", but people have upvoted good reviews. Not always accurate, but a good way to find hidden gems. I would make another pitch for the Heirloom app at RT, but the new design broke the add on.

Critic reviews have become more and more political. Obviously, that doesn't affect every movie, but one like this ? Absolutely. I don't trust critics on this one in the least. Same with Black Panther. It was "good", but it was not nearly as good as critics would have you believe.

Reaction Score
The audience score is getting brigaded on both ends. Best to look at the critics when things like this happen
Nope. Critics are no more trustworthy than the average internet troll, frankly.

And since it's getting trolled from both side, maybe take the word of the more numerous trolls.

Reaction Score
Found this “review” posted by numerous “people”. Took like 15 seconds of searching.

I'll make it very simple and clear: Captain Marvel is really worth a watch. It's just entertaining and visually impressive, exactly what it was meant to be. Just keep this in mind that it's an origin story so don't go looking for an overstuffed complex story. It's just a fun action movie that introduces us to a new superhero Captain Marvel, played brilliantly by Brie Larson. I became an instant fan watching her in this action heroine avatar, something she manages to pull off with ease. Watch her in the action sequences and there's no way you can't be impressed. Viewers were literally cheering for some of the most heroic moments in the film. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury is as awesome as always, it's just that his character feels even better and refined than what we've seen. Jude Law is also quite good, and so are Ben Mendelsohn and Lashana Lynch. But the one character that ultimately steals the show is Goose, the cat. Some of the sequences involving her are so hilarious that it was really difficult to stop laughing. Visual effects are excellent, and the IMAX 3D viewing just elevated them. And since it's most importantly an action movie, every single action sequence it delivers is impressive, especially the train sequence. I would call it one of the major highlights of the movie. Cinematography in certain portions is really impressive. Humor, like any other MCU movie, is top notch and really manages to make you laugh. Captain Marvel has a simple-looking origin story presented and executed in a terrific manner. The directors have done a great job with the characterization of Captain Marvel, and that is what makes everything in the film seem so good. The pace is brisk, gore is minimal to no, and there's nothing unsuitable for kids. I'd definitely recommend watching Captain Marvel to anyone who likes superheroes or is simply a fan of action movies. You'll love it if you want to be entertained. It also does answer some much-asked questions, and that should be the reason enough for you to stay instead of just walking away. Can't wait to watch Avengers: Endgame now!”

Reaction Score
Nope. Critics are no more trustworthy than the average internet troll, frankly.

And since it's getting trolled from both side, maybe take the word of the more numerous trolls.
Or, ya know, we could all watch for ourselves trying not to let all those numerous others color our view.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Now you can post reviews again on Netflix. When did that happen?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If it were some Sci-fi swashbuckler it’d be fine. But they shoehorned it into the SW universe and it didn’t really jive in that sense. I thought it was a fun watch still tho.

Same. I enjoyed it. Not immensely, but worth a watch. It didn't really feel part of Star Wars other than having costumes/world/vehicles in that vein.

The important thing is to go in with zero expectations. Actually, thinking about it now, I expected it to stink, and it didn't.

Chewy was great in it. Love that dude.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Critic reviews have become more and more political. Obviously, that doesn't affect every movie, but one like this ? Absolutely. I don't trust critics on this one in the least. Same with Black Panther. It was "good", but it was not nearly as good as critics would have you believe.

Yep. And Wonder Woman kinda sucked. Had absolutely nothing to do with the character either. Just a bad movie. But Fem Power I guess?

Funny part is, if they make a great movie, minority actress/actor stars become that much more celebrated.

Just make a good @#$% movie.

Reaction Score
Rotten Tomatoes deleted 54 k reviews of this film today. Maybe they were all people giving negative reviews, maybe they weren't. Take that and add it to the fact that they shut down the want to see ratings, and it is clear there is an effort to protect this movie. I can't figure these box office projections either. I am looking at all the time slots at the big local theaters and there are plenty of seats to be had. Way more than any other "blockbuster" than I can recall.

Disney has a lot at stake here. They want this terrible character to be the face of their franchise for the next ten years and they are doing anything they can to try and sell it to people. It's not going to happen in my opinion. I don't know how much this thing will make this weekend, but it is going to fall hard after that, like a Solo type fall. To me the only questions are if they really do have two separate cuts of Endgame, and will they use the one that has Captain Marvel in the background.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Rotten Tomatoes audience score has skyrocketed to 51%. Critic score dipped a little to 79%. I just don't believe anything I read anymore, seems like there is so much manipulation going on with reactions to this movie.

Reaction Score
Rotten Tomatoes audience score has skyrocketed to 51%. Critic score dipped a little to 79%. I just don't believe anything I read anymore, seems like there is so much manipulation going on with reactions to this movie.

I'm stunned by the critics score. I fully expected it to be in the 90's, like 95 or 96%. I figured between 60 to 70 from the audience. This just isn't an interesting character and I can't see sustained success for this film.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom