Rothstein Top 25 for 2016-17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rothstein Top 25 for 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think DHam played well considering he was really out of position as a point man. He rebounded very well. But our offense stalled in the half court because we just did not have a point guard who set it up.

DHam wasn't really playing the point fulltime or always initiating the offense, he really hadn't shown thru 2 years the ability to play off the ball like a classic wing should. Not effecient shooting off the catch or even making a quick decision with the ball once he caught it.

Reaction Score
Were back to having the same issue we had 2 years ago. With miller gone we again have no one to feed the ball into in the post. I expect a lot of passing around the 3pt line and 3pt shots to start the season until someone hopefully emerges as an option

Guys will have to attack the basket, we know Jalen can do that and can finish, Purvis needs to get better at finishing at the rim but he should probably unleash that floater/teardrop that he has in his arsenal more often, Gilbert should be able to get in the lane and collapse the defense or pull up, Larrier has slashing ability. I like the makeup of this team more than the 2014-2015 squad but obviously we have to see the product on the court.

Reaction Score
This thread is the first time where I've seen people get really amped about Larrier. I'm not saying I don't expect/hope he's great, but where's the indication he's supposed to be amazing? For as frustrating as he could be, Dham was really good at basketball...
Agreed though, if he can be Dham we will be great. I'm not criticizing excitement I'm truly curious as I know next nothing about Terry.

I don't have high expectations for Larrier this year.

Purvis's first year after he transferred, he was inconsistent at best. And Purvis had a better freshman year than Larrier did.

Reaction Score

Purvis's first year after he transferred, he was inconsistent at best. And Purvis had a better freshman year than Larrier did.
Certainly understand your point. I would say a big difference is we have two elite ballhandlers in Alterique and Jalen to create easier opportunities for everyone in the halfcourt, and we should run a lot. That first year for Purv with Boatshow we were grinding out 53-52 wins and everything was difficult offensively. It was ugly with only one ballhandler. Larrier looks like a fantastic athlete and should get some easy hoops running the floor. He was rated pretty highly in the realm of DHam so I am expecting a terrific first year and a great year 2 based on his superior athleticism and experience and two guys getting it to him in good position.

Reaction Score
Last year I agreed with the good ranking but my hopes were going to be based on improvements from Brimah, Facey, and Hamilton. DHam was inconsistent but gave us 8-10 rebounds against better teams. Who is doing that? Brimah and Facey were not better if at all offensively from last year so we expect that to turn 180? DHam setups are now gone. Where is the strength and skill down low? These guys are stick figures. Enoch would have to become a real force as a sophomore. Big players are going to abuse us in the hard games but I think against the chaff we will look like world beaters early. We did not address our bigs weakness so far. We may just get in the tourney but with this roster we are not doing damage. Sorry, and I really hope to be wrong about this.

Reaction Score
Rs senior at the two, senior center... Larrier and Adams are two guys who need to really take a leap this summer because this team should be good, better than 2016. if those guys don't develop , after a full year under KO, I'll start feeling ancy about the player development.

Reaction Score
Rs senior at the two, senior center... Larrier and Adams are two guys who need to really take a leap this summer because this team should be good, better than 2016. if those guys don't develop , after a full year under KO, I'll start feeling ancy about the player development.

Kinda feeling the same, I don't understand having a staff position filled with someone doing offcourt engagement/development stuff with all these player/skill development guys out there that would love to have a fulltime position with a team.

Reaction Score
Last year I agreed with the good ranking but my hopes were going to be based on improvements from Brimah, Facey, and Hamilton. DHam was inconsistent but gave us 8-10 rebounds against better teams. Who is doing that? Brimah and Facey were not better if at all offensively from last year so we expect that to turn 180? DHam setups are now gone. Where is the strength and skill down low? These guys are stick figures. Enoch would have to become a real force as a sophomore. Big players are going to abuse us in the hard games but I think against the chaff we will look like world beaters early. We did not address our bigs weakness so far. We may just get in the tourney but with this roster we are not doing damage. Sorry, and I really hope to be wrong about this.

For the 2014 team who was doing our damage down low? Nolan, Olander, Brimah? Nope, we had skinny stretch 4 who averaged 5 rebounds a game. We can win with a stretch 4 again if need be. I know we had Bazz, Boat and DD and Jalen, Gilbert and Larrier are not those 3 but its not impossible to win without a big down low scoring force.

Reaction Score
So this is going to be the annual thread where we put massive expectations on a bunch of new players? Team has some good pieces but I'd say a ranking between 30-35 sounds right.

Reaction Score
For the 2014 team who was doing our damage down low? Nolan, Olander, Brimah? Nope, we had skinny stretch 4 who averaged 5 rebounds a game. We can win with a stretch 4 again if need be. I know we had Bazz, Boat and DD and Jalen, Gilbert and Larrier are not those 3 but its not impossible to win without a big down low scoring force.

I don't hardly disagree, but its like that game where you move one piece, then have to slide the others over. Someone noted above that with a slender 4 that is out on the perimeter, Bazz had to step up rebounding. No one is Bazz on this team. When your pg hangs around the rim, someone has to step up denying the fast break. JA may be Boat, but I don't know. The pieces have to fall together. I'm not as grossly optimistic as last year, so that might be a good thing. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thread is the first time where I've seen people get really amped about Larrier. I'm not saying I don't expect/hope he's great, but where's the indication he's supposed to be amazing? For as frustrating as he could be, Dham was really good at basketball...
Agreed though, if he can be Dham we will be great. I'm not criticizing excitement I'm truly curious as I know next nothing about Terry.
I fully expect Larrier to be a better player than DHAM, maybe not this year, but I see Larrier's upside as a lottery pick and should be a first round pick otherwise he didn't fulfill his talent.

I watched him play about 20 games his freshman year, great athletes who has a beautiful looking jump shot, wasn't consistent at shooting yet, but I can see that will come, really have high expectations for Larrier.

Love the talent.

Reaction Score
You forgot Giffeye (senior)who could shoot the lights out from 3 senior year and rebound. Bazz and Boat (senior, junior) were 2 incredibly talented guards and DD had skills. Yes, with those guys we could do it with Nolan, Brimah, and Olander down low I agree. This is a lot for a freshman and a sophomore guard to carry even if Rodney is there.

Reaction Score
Certainly understand your point. I would say a big difference is we have two elite ballhandlers in Alterique and Jalen to create easier opportunities for everyone in the halfcourt, and we should run a lot. That first year for Purv with Boatshow we were grinding out 53-52 wins and everything was difficult offensively. It was ugly with only one ballhandler. Larrier looks like a fantastic athlete and should get some easy hoops running the floor. He was rated pretty highly in the realm of DHam so I am expecting a terrific first year and a great year 2 based on his superior athleticism and experience and two guys getting it to him in good position.
Purvis was rated higher than both of them, and it took him a full season to shake off the rust after sitting out.

I don't know when larrier became such a good shooter, but watching him freshman year he has ok form, poor shot selection (product of havoc system?), and very inconsistent

As someone else said, let's learn to temper these expectations. We know what we have at the 1, 2, and 5, but the 3, 4 and bench is pretty much unknown.

I think this year will be a good indication of KO's ability as he now has a roster full of players he brought in for his system. Let's see what he can do

Edit: only that first part was directed at you rip. The rest was just generalizing other posts

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If this team gets out and runs like crazy, everything will fall into place. Larrier will be fine in transition. Don't want him chucking too many 3's unless he proves he can hit at a solid clip.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If this team gets out and runs like crazy, everything will fall into place. Larrier will be fine in transition. Don't want him chucking too many 3's unless he proves he can hit at a solid clip.
In order to run, you have to be a great defensive rebounding team. I'm not sure that's in the cards for us.

I think our ceiling for next year is determined by Jalen's improvement. If we get a more consistent version of the kid who showed up in March, we can be a top 15 team. If not, we'll scrape by anywhere from 25-35.

And please, everybody: Don't expect Alterique to be ready to come in and lead the team from Day 1. He's lower rated than Jalen, Kemba & Taliek, and we all know how much they struggled as freshmen when asked to run the offense. Just hope for a faster, steadier improvement curve than what we saw from Jalen last year.

Reaction Score
So this is going to be the annual thread where we put massive expectations on a bunch of new players? Team has some good pieces but I'd say a ranking between 30-35 sounds right.
How is the 15-20 range massive expectations? They could certainly underperform like they have the past two years, but based on talent alone it seems like a fair projection.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The same was said about last year's team but replace the word Larrier with Hamilton.

I'm just not sure how good or bad this team will be next year. Our roster has talent 1-3 and at the 5, but I see a hole at the 4 spot. Larrier is a better fit as a 3, but could slide to the 4 if we go small. I don't think Facey is a full time PF... he always starts the year well and then looks lost by mid-season, especially defensively. Diarra is a freshman so you can't count on him at PF either. Durham a candidate to redshirt.

Our teams are generally as good as our PGs and ball handling. Our PGs are young and I'm not sure who will be primary/secondary PG between Jalen and Alterique and how that dynamic will work... so that remains a big question mark as well.

I think we're in good shape at the 2-3 spots. A seasoned Purvis and Larrier with Jackson and Vital off the bench with JA or AG occasionally sliding to the 2-spot is a lot of talent from 2-3.

At center, I'd like to see marked improvement from Brimah in 3 key areas... the offensive end, on the boards, and cut down on fouling. I'm also hoping that Enoch makes strides and can provide some much needed bulk and toughness down low... we looked like boys among men vs that Kansas frontcourt, and I'm hoping KO saw that as well and will realize how important it will be for Enoch to develop into a capable big and maybe play him at the 4 with Brimah at center (will be tough to keep them out of foul trouble, though).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not buying it. I think we struggle to make the Tourni. Won't believe that we're a top 20 team until I see Larrier play against a non-cupcake. Not enough ball handlers w/o DHam. We'll see. This is the most pessimistic I've been in a very long time.
Nothing a change of avatar (or handle) can't cure.

Reaction Score

I promise Larrier will not miss a beat. I saw him at practice one day and he just might have been the best player there. The only thing is that he definitely cannot rebound as good as Hamilton so a lineup of Rique, JA, Purv, and tL at the same time might not work very well. But I fully expect Larrier to come in, play great, and possibly be our leading scorer.

Reaction Score
I thought 15-20 was ambitious, as well, until I sat down and actually tried to rank them. Once you get past the first ten teams or so you have massive question marks everywhere. Hell, he has Xavier #4 and I have no idea who is going to play up front for them.

pj

Reaction Score
Were back to having the same issue we had 2 years ago. With miller gone we again have no one to feed the ball into in the post. I expect a lot of passing around the 3pt line and 3pt shots to start the season until someone hopefully emerges as an option

Expect to see Larrier at the 4, Purvis at the 3, Adams and Gilbert backcourt, often. Among the freshman forwards we might say a lot of stretch four usage.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Adams, a stud PG running the show, that's how we roll

Reaction Score
Expect to see Larrier at the 4, Purvis at the 3, Adams and Gilbert backcourt, often. Among the freshman forwards we might say a lot of stretch four usage.
I'm not sure why people keep expecting him to play the 4, but whatever you say...

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I think we'll be better w/o the presence of DHam this year.
Calhoun was correct, he's a "play thru" player not a go to guy. He would have put a hiccup in the progression of JA and the confidence of AG. I like the look of this upcoming year. If the locker room is right, we'll have a Very good year imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom