Rothstein on Sanogo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Sanogo

Reaction Score
He knows exactly who will start right now. Just using this as motivation.
Ok.. Thought DH said the other day that Bouk/IW looked pretty certain.. Other three spots up for grabs for opening game.. Would think he'd want to see different combinations and how they jell/play together over the next few weeks of practice before deciding..

Reaction Score
I don’t think hurley has a set lineup yet, but I agree that him mentioning Whaley starting makes it pretty set in stone or he wouldn’t have said it. I don’t recall the quote did hurley say at center? If he didn’t that opens some possibilities for us to speculate about. I also think with the leadership he’s exhibited that Cole seems destined to start.

Reaction Score
I don’t think hurley has a set lineup yet, but I agree that him mentioning Whaley starting makes it pretty set in stone or he wouldn’t have said it. I don’t recall the quote did hurley say at center? If he didn’t that opens some possibilities for us to speculate about. I also think with the leadership he’s exhibited that Cole seems destined to start.
He didn't say at the 5 in that quote, but his comments after the first practice were about Whaley playing much better at the 5 last year

Reaction Score
Whaley at 6’8” would be undersized at center. He’ll be the starting PF.

Center will be Carlton or Sanogo.

Bouk will be the 2 guard.

Polley, Jackson, or Martin will start at SF.

Obviously Cole or Gaffney will start at PG.

With the depth on this roster there’s no reason to go small at positions 2 through 5.

Reaction Score
He didn't say at the 5 in that quote, but his comments after the first practice were about Whaley playing much better at the 5 last year
Will be interesting to see the sub patterns with this team, playing a lot of guys and guys playing multiple roles. Most difficult part for hurley, but a good problem to have

Reaction Score
Seems like 2, 4, 5 are set with Bouknight, Polley, Whaley. Seems like it's gonna come down to Cole/Gaffney at the 1 and Jackson/Martin at the 3. The thing with moving Whaley or Sanogo to the 4 is it really clogs the paint which limits a lot of what we all expect Jackson and Bouknight to do when they're in
I wouldn’t say polley is a shoe in to start. Besides that one game before He got injured last year, he still played pretty soft and he’s coming off that injury - might be better serviced as a microwave sharpshooter coming off the bench

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say polley is a shoe in to start. Besides that one game before He got injured last year, he still played pretty soft
I don't agree. His game was growing leading up that "one game." Like I said before, if he's 100% and gets beat out for the start, we are going to be really good. Actually, we'll be really good if he does start as well.

Reaction Score
jackson and whaley can't be the starting forwards together and people are still leaving that open as a possibility. bouk is more of a slasher than a shooter himself leaving our PG as the only 3 point threat. without anyone spreading the floor it would also handcuff bouk's and jackson's ability to attack the paint which is their biggest strength

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say polley is a shoe in to start. Besides that one game before He got injured last year, he still played pretty soft and he’s coming off that injury - might be better serviced as a microwave sharpshooter coming off the bench
Everything Hurley has said has pointed to Polley being the starting 4 on opening night. If it's not Polley who would want at the 4 to stretch the floor for our wings?

Reaction Score
Everything Hurley has said has pointed to Polley being the starting 4 on opening night. If it's not Polley who would want at the 4 to stretch the floor for our wings?
akok of course once he comes back but otherwise martin's the only other choice

Reaction Score
akok of course once he comes back but otherwise martin's the only other choice
Yeah I'm fine with either of them at the 4 as well because they do the same thing. Pick any 2 of Martin, Jackson, Polley to start at the 3/4 and I'm happy

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's no more than 60 minutes available for Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo right now. When Akok gets healthy he will eat in to those numbers.
PF and C get 80 minutes total. If Hurley goes 20 min of smaller ball where either Polley or Martin are taking minutes from the PF position, that is what leaves the 60 minutes for the three healthy players plus Akok.

Playing time minutes are a zero sum game.

Reaction Score
There's no more than 60 minutes available for Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo right now. When Akok gets healthy he will eat in to those numbers.
not to mention brown and springs

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sounds like we'll be aiming to end regulation in a tie every game, so we have 25 more team-minutes to divy up, and we can keep guys a little happier.

Seriously, I'll be interested to see the season total minutes apportionment at the end of the year. Broken down by position played. IE, Whalley more time at the 4 than the 5? or not? etc., down the line.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
jackson and whaley can't be the starting forwards together and people are still leaving that open as a possibility. bouk is more of a slasher than a shooter himself leaving our PG as the only 3 point threat. without anyone spreading the floor it would also handcuff bouk's and jackson's ability to attack the paint which is their biggest strength

Why can't they? Hurley keeps talking about how much better Jackson is a shooter than people expect.

I don't think you need a 3 point shooter at the 4. It's a nice to have at best, and it takes away from rebounding unless you've got a great rebounder at the 3. I don't expect Jackson to start early on. I expect Whaley to start, but perhaps at the 4, with Martin or Polley at the 3. But we really don't know.

Everybody is talking about having four shooters on the court, but I want to see and think DH will want to see five defenders. Whaley gives you very little rim protection, especially with Akok not playing the 4. Polley is a terrible interior defender, he is ok on the wings. I don't know enough about Martin's D, I know he can board.

Reaction Score
Why can't they?
because shooting is the most important aspect of the game and a zone would completely shut us down on offense. we'd be too easy to guard if the guy bringing up the ball is the only legit 3 point shooter on the floor. jackson could be a better shooter than we expect but that doesnt mean he'd be above average 3 pt shooter. we should be tailoring our offense around our all american bouk who is a slasher. if we arent spreading the floor for him then we arent doing him any favors

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley mentioned on a certain call a couple weeks ago not open to the “public” that if he had to decide today, his starting lineup would be Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, Carlton.

Gaffney/Cole, Sanogo/Carlton, Tyrese/Polley/Jackson are where they seem to be going back and forth on and could change at any moment. The competition in practice is serious. Jackson is clearly impressing the staff if they see him as a starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom