Rothstein on Campus Today | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Campus Today

Reaction Score
Hawkins is going to have to start and it's going to have to happen fairly early in the season. You can't have Martin and Jackson starting together at the 2 and 3.

Yikes, that lineup would never score.

Even if Akok is a good shooter for a 4, that's a lot of guys you can pack the paint against. That lineup wouldn't shoot over a defense and couldn't take it to the rim either.

Reaction Score
Figuring out a starting line up is such a crap shoot right now. As is the case every year, injuries and other unforeseen circumstances have an amazing way of paring the rotation down to 8-9 players by March and all of us fans clamoring for more depth.

Start

Cole
Gaff
Jackson
Akok
Sanogo

Bench

Diggins
Hawkins
Polley
Martin
Whaley

Need ball handling and shooting. I'm stuck with no way Cole or Sanogo are not in starting line up. I'm not the biggest Cole fan due to his lack of athleticism and size but he can shoot, and has Hurley's confidence. I wish there was a better known solution at the PG but there isn't someone who is a bit bigger and faster, so I can live with Cole. Sanogo has to start and I'm not convinced he was at his best when paired with Whaley. I think Akok is actually more comfortable and feels natural on the perimeter, dribble drive and moving towards the hoop. Jackson is too talented with speed and disrupting passing lanes that he has to start in my book. Gaff is obviously the oddity here but the other four players need one more ball handler and another shooter and Gaff can do that. Plus, he has more size than Cole for guarding bigger guards.

So, how the hell do you come up with a starting lineup that has two starters from last year's coming off the bench? Hurley brings them in and gets them to buy in as a unit that the three veterans on the frontcourt mentor and develop the two young guards. Convince Martin, Polley and Whaley that they're upper classmen, they can enjoy all the fun of college they didn't get second semester of 2019 and all of 2020 and they can be key contributors- they'll get 15-20 minutes a game. Some games may be 25 minutes, some may be 10. But this is their best chance to go far and have more success than they have experienced in college so far. If anyone gets injured or isn't productive, they get right back in the lineup.

Martin is such a hard nosed competitor but he was just so inefficient finishing around the rim last year. He's great when he has a straight line to the hoop but gets too complicated when he has to adjust. And I don't trust his shooting. It would be so difficult to play him at the 2 or the 3 without having shooters at every other position. It's really tough to put Martin and Jackson on the floor at the same time because out of the PG, SG, SF and PF, those two take up two of those spots and the other two have to be lights out shooters and at least one needs to be the primary ball handler. I could see a Cole, Jackson, Martin, Akok and Whaley lineup out there. Just enough shooting from Cole, Akok and Whaley. At least I'd hope. But that keep Sanogo out of the game.

Could I see Hawkins start? Sure. Put Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Akok and Sanogo on the floor. Looks great. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's the lineup that starts by March. I don't know if they need to put that much pressure on Hawkins right away.

Having Polley come of the bench doesn't seem like a mega stretch. He did it last year. Convincing Whaley to come off the bench would have to be hardest sell. But who knows, maybe all he wants to do is win and have fun. Carlton was able to accept it last season.
I don't hate this lineup, assuming Akok is back to 100% and the guy he was before the Achilles injury. I would consider having Martin start over Jackson though.

I agree the Sanogo/Whaley pairing is pretty inefficient on the offensive end, though Whaley's versatility on defense makes up for it somewhat. The only wild card here is if Whaley has developed an outside shot. If he has, then he and Akok are more interchangeable and either one can start alongside Sanogo.

The challenge is, if Akok is 100%, you can only start two of him, Whaley, and Sanogo, and all 3 of them have a legitimate claim to starting.

In terms of Hurley's mindset, I don't see a scenario at the beginning of the season where he doesn't start

Sanogo
Whaley
Martin
Cole

Then the only question is the 5th spot. For balance, I think it has to be Gaffney.

Reaction Score
I don't hate this lineup, assuming Akok is back to 100% and the guy he was before the Achilles injury. I would consider having Martin start over Jackson though.

I agree the Sanogo/Whaley pairing is pretty inefficient on the offensive end, though Whaley's versatility on defense makes up for it somewhat. The only wild card here is if Whaley has developed an outside shot. If he has, then he and Akok are more interchangeable and either one can start alongside Sanogo.

The challenge is, if Akok is 100%, you can only start two of him, Whaley, and Sanogo, and all 3 of them have a legitimate claim to starting.

In terms of Hurley's mindset, I don't see a scenario at the beginning of the season where he doesn't start

Sanogo
Whaley
Martin
Cole

Then the only question is the 5th spot. For balance, I think it has to be Gaffney.
The locks as starters have been considered Cole and Sanogo but I’m going to go out on a limb and say Jackson is a lock too. I heard he’s been kicking ass on the court and Hurley probably doesn’t think it makes sense to sit that type of talent so much. I could be wrong but I think we have 3 locks as starters

Reaction Score
Why should Whaley straight up start if Akok is better than him and Akok must and will play more minutes and valuable minutes than Whaley?
Akok is coming off a major injury and is rusty from basically not playing last year. Whaley is a better defensive player all around and brings a lot of intangibles to the line up.
whoever is playing best at the time will get the minutes.
if Akok plays to his potential coming back from the injury/inactivity he will play more and finish most of the games.

Reaction Score
Chief always thinks team depth is more important in practice, when 10 guys can play at the same time, than in a game against an opponent when it’s 5.
A scorer is more than a shooter, a scorer must be able to create his shot with some efficiency, draw fouls and figure out a way to put the ball in the hoop, when no one else can.
From what Chief has seen Hawkins is the key in terms of how good we can be. If he can produce points in a meaningful way, it will make a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tyrese can play the 2 in an Anthony Mason, point forward sort of way. It would be nice if he could improve his shooting. He’s hot and cold and never in between. He was often our best player. I think we will see a lot of him no matter who else breaks out.

Is there any recent footage of Jackson shooting jumpers? I’d love to see if they overhauled his shot.
You r so right, Martin was often the best player on the team.
he especially stepped up when bouknight was out, Martin will have a huge year. He can’t play the 2??? who are all our other ideal options to play there that he would be taking minutes from??
in the position less game today u need to have your 5 best on the floor as much as possible.
martin solid on d, shooting from the outside GREAT rebounder and tremendous running the floor and finishing
he is too good to sit and if u pigeon hole him to play the 3or4 u weaken the team by putting someone else who should be playing on the bench.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You r so right, Martin was often the best player on the team.
he especially stepped up when bouknight was out, Martin will have a huge year. He can’t play the 2??? who are all our other ideal options to play there that he would be taking minutes from??
in the position less game today u need to have your 5 best on the floor as much as possible.
martin solid on d, shooting from the outside GREAT rebounder and tremendous running the floor and finishing
he is too good to sit and if u pigeon hole him to play the 3or4 u weaken the team by putting someone else who should be playing on the bench.

The dilemma is the team was playing its worst when Martin was playing his best.

To be fair, Martin was subbing in for an injured Bouk and you could tell the team was out of synch. And I would suggest that would have happened last season regardless of who stepped up when Bouk was out.

All the positives you mentioned for Martin can be done at 4. Rebounding, defense inudong switching on PnR's, running the floor.....

He IS NOT a good outside shooter. He can get streaky good but he has plenty of stats at URI and UConn showing he's not good. Can he get better? Maybe. Would I be ecstatic if he got better? Definitely.

But for this season's team I believe he is best in the front court not in the back court

Reaction Score
The dilemma is the team was playing its worst when Martin was playing his best.

To be fair, Martin was subbing in for an injured Bouk and you could tell the team was out of synch. And I would suggest that would have happened last season regardless of who stepped up when Bouk was out.

All the positives you mentioned for Martin can be done at 4. Rebounding, defense inudong switching on PnR's, running the floor.....

He IS NOT a good outside shooter. He can get streaky good but he has plenty of stats at URI and UConn showing he's not good. Can he get better? Maybe. Would I be ecstatic if he got better? Definitely.

But for this season's team I believe he is best in the front court not in the back court
Agree HE is better at the 4 BUT is UCONN?? No!
He picked up his game up when bouk was out, that is a plus.
basketball 101 everyone needs to do more when your star is out.
without bouk, your star, how else was UCONN gonna be? worse

my position is Martin is going to play he is one of the top 5 players on the team minimum. He doesn’t hurt u at the 2 especially since there is no established 2 he is taking minutes from, if he plays the 4 they are a weaker team because he will be blocking a player at that position that needs to be on the floor to make UConn the best team possible

Reaction Score
The other thing about Martin is that for a fairly strong, broad shouldered guy; he doesn’t finish well around the basket. He doesn’t protect the ball in the shot process and kind of short arms it rather than create space and extend his arms.

Reaction Score
The locks as starters have been considered Cole and Sanogo but I’m going to go out on a limb and say Jackson is a lock too. I heard he’s been kicking ass on the court and Hurley probably doesn’t think it makes sense to sit that type of talent so much. I could be wrong but I think we have 3 locks as starters
Talent, sure, but how does he fit on a team?

We need shooters. Playing a guy at the 3 who can't shoot -- when we don't have elite shooters at the 2 or 4 -- is a nonstarter (pun intended).

Reaction Score
Those are 3 good team orientated people too. Cole has experience, Sanogo has a drive to work and improve. He also has great hands and footwork for a Big. Jackson has athletic talent but is also a student of the game. Someone you can sit down with and have an enjoyable basketball discussion. Combine the two, his athletic talent and passion for the game and you have a tremendous upside, if he can get the shooting thing done consistently in games.

Reaction Score
The other thing about Martin is that for a fairly strong, broad shouldered guy; he doesn’t finish well around the basket. He doesn’t protect the ball in the shot process and kind of short arms it rather than create space and extend his arms.
IMO..Seemed like Martin lacked explosion after the RB..Worked hard to get in position for the RB--Got the RB-- And then couldn't convert (on his efforts) with a high % on putbacks.

Maybe its respecting the defender too much.. Would help to bring IW's mentality by aggressively dunking or making stronger moves to the bucket (and one)

Will have plenty of opportunities to figure it out vs our deep front court guys during practices. They'll be swatting any non-aggressive shot attempts from in-close into the bleachers.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cole
Martin
Jackson
Akok
Sanogo
/springs

Diggins
Gaffney
Hawkins
Polley
Whaley
/Johnson

lets go!

My dilemma is I don't see how you can play Jackson and Martin together unless one of them is the 4. No way those two can be the two wing players at the same time.

Reaction Score
IMO..Seemed like Martin lacked explosion after the RB..Worked hard to get in position for the RB--Got the RB-- And then couldn't convert (on his efforts) with a high % on putbacks.

Maybe its respecting the defender too much.. Would help to bring IW's mentality by aggressively dunking or making stronger moves to the bucket (and one)

Will have plenty of opportunities to figure it out vs our deep front court guys during practices. They'll be swatting any non-aggressive shot attempts from in-close into the bleachers.
LOL - Where is George Blaney when you need him - to see something that no one else sees - to explain something.

Reaction Score
Very enjoyable thread. We have come such a long way since this lineup

Antoine Anderson
Jalen Adams
Christian Vital
Terry Larrier
David Onuorah
Wasn't that a projected top 20 lineup? Regardless, this time of year is chock full of team success predictions that never panned out. Usually from players that changed their poor shooting over the summer by taking 1000 shots a day under the guidance of Ray Allen. Makes me smile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom