Rothstein on Campus Today | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Campus Today

Reaction Score
Hawkins is going to have to start and it's going to have to happen fairly early in the season. You can't have Martin and Jackson starting together at the 2 and 3.

Yeah that's ridiculous. That is an awful shooting lineup and Martin can't play the 2. If Andre of Rese learned how to shoot maybe you put Andre at the 2. More likely Gaff at the 2 to start the season and Hawkins in waiting.

Andre and Martin are battling for the starting 3 spot unless either can perform better at the 4 than Whaley or Akok... which seems unlikely

Last edited:
Reaction Score

REMEMBER THE NAME

We need to press a heck of a lot more than we have before with this depth and speed. Make up for the shooting weakness

The rotation will need to he down to 9 or 10 by the middle of the season. My guess is Springs might be on the outside looking in and probably Samson getting the cleanup minutes when Sanogo or Whaley aren't at the 5... maybe some 4 mimutes if we go big. Probably 1 of Gaff or Sool too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My current thought is if we need a deuce, its a play for Sanogo. If we need a three it’s going to be RJ, Akok, or one of the new guys.
So you're of the thought that we'll go to Samson before Tyler if we need a 3???

Reaction Score
Tyler Polley is going to become a SF this year. With Akok, Johnson, Sanogo and Whaley, the C-PF spots are locked down.

Polley-Martin-Jackson-Hawkins-Gaffney battling for time at SG and SF.

Cole and Diggins at PG.

Reaction Score
My current thought is if we need a deuce, its a play for Sanogo. If we need a three it’s going to be RJ, Akok, or one of the new guys.
Why would we look to the 6th best 3-point shooter on the team when we need a three?

Reaction Score
I agree, but I am just thinking where DH will go. Thats why I added the new guys.
So you're saying you wouldn't expect Hurley to draw up a 3 for Polley or Gaffney unless Cole, Hawkins, Diggins, Akok and Johnson were unavailable?

Reaction Score
Hawkins is going to have to start and it's going to have to happen fairly early in the season. You can't have Martin and Jackson starting together at the 2 and 3.

It's a monster defensive lineup though, and should be able to get out in transition after misses/turnovers and attack the offensive boards, mitigating some of the half court lack of spacing. Akok helps with spacing, too. If Jackson initiates an attack, then we can at least space with 3 of the 4 others (they'll likely respect Martin since he takes them, and can knock down a completely open 3).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tyler Polley is going to become a SF this year. With Akok, Johnson, Sanogo and Whaley, the C-PF spots are locked down.

Polley-Martin-Jackson-Hawkins-Gaffney battling for time at SG and SF.

Cole and Diggins at PG.

None of Polley Martin or Jackson can play the 2. Maybe Jackson if his handle has improved a smidge. We have a major logjam at the 3.

Reaction Score
None of Polley Martin or Jackson can play the 2. Maybe Jackson if his handle has improved a smidge. We have a major logjam at the 3.
Eh, I think that's a fairly rigid way of looking at things. At least in my mind there is not a significant difference between the 2 and 3. Positionless basketball has been en vogue for some time. To me, an ideal lineup has an initiator/ball handler, 3 versatile wings, and someone to shore up the paint/protect the rim.

I think the players mentioned above all bring different qualities to the wing position and should be able to be mixed and matched with each other. Up to Hurley to experiment with lineups to find what's optimal. He may have had some struggles with game planning around a limited roster last year, but I have full confidence in him

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Martin had a quote recently about playing more guard this year. I think Hurley is going to try him at the 2 to start the year, but hopefully he adjusts quickly when it doesn't work.

Reaction Score
Eh, I think that's a fairly rigid way of looking at things. At least in my mind there is not a significant difference between the 2 and 3. Positionless basketball has been en vogue for some time. To me, an ideal lineup has an initiator/ball handler, 3 versatile wings, and someone to shore up the paint/protect the rim.

I think the players mentioned above all bring different qualities to the wing position and should be able to be mixed and matched with each other. Up to Hurley to experiment with lineups to find what's optimal. He may have had some struggles with game planning around a limited roster last year, but I have filill confidence in him
You're right that the game as shifted towards positionless basketball and there's not a huge difference between 2-4, but I think you're approaching it from the wrong direction. Teams go positionless with 3 shooters interchangeable at the 2-4, not with three non-shooters at the 2-4. That's a much tougher lineup to make work

Reaction Score
I can hear him pronounce the word Palpable in that tweet
“Palpable buzz” is one of his go to phrases.

He didn’t predict the Final Four or National Championship contenders so I’m really worried now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom